2016 AQ & Regional Schedule

Score them as is. You get 10th of 30...lets see...OMA points for 10th of 30.

Software...your already scoring separate races. You can do it again.

Draft 2 separate events that day...one for qualifiers, one for points. With both receiving the data of actual race results...filtered separately. Atleast that would be my first try.

I have never operated mx software...but I could learn it in a day.

Mega qualifiers...sounds good...but why? More riders...yes. More money...yes. More status...no. More honor...yes.

Be serious.

For more Motocross...for the people to be more.

I've been to a few qualifiers, most were southern, where Sunday was a series points race for them. I didn't have to join there series nor did they have to purchase a qualifier sheet. Helps fill the gates and makes the racing more enjoyable.

That sounds simple enough. Maybe then, the Ohio Qualifiers become MEGA Qualifiers since they have OMA year end points and LL area qualifying potential.

The only issue that I see is that the trackside software cannot pay points to certain people in each class. Or at least I doubt that it will. Then if you set up a certain race for just the points earning racers, then you might be setting yourself up for issues when a rider earns a 10th overall, but 3rd amongst the OMA points riders.

I will check into it, but in the past many good ideas die when given the trackside test.

How you finish should be good enough. Everyone has to deal with the same problems. If you get 19 then points for 19th.

Reasons NOT to run your local series with Area Qs.

First trackside can easily be set to give points for all that attend Area and whether they decide to qualify or not your series regulars can get event points by class series etc if you want.

1- out of towners aren't gonna want to buy OMA membership forcing them to do so at Area Q could cause some backlash for future.

2- local riders aren't gonna like the higher event fees. If your trying to qualify you accept it, others coming for series points will complain. Most area tracks charged $40 a class plus the $10 to mx sports. And Ama costs and some use transponders. Obviously higher weekend gate and practice fees go with that too. Forcing your regulars to attend an area for series points will just make them mad after a heat race and 3 lap lcq and trip home.

3- areas are hard complicated weekends with very big crowds why make your weekend harder and more complicated. I'm sure this will generate more questions during signup staggers staging, class confusion, gate refunds after fri or sat and questions on point issues after event.

4- parking. I know most barely make it work chillitown might be exception.

5- locals are smart enough if they ain't qualifying they stay home most areas have very few not laying down $10 except those national guys that race 20 areas for competition as Jeremy mentioned. You could run it and most non qualifiers will home or race elsewhere.

6- lastly preserve your brand. Why mix the OMA / AMA success with the Area MX sports name. Most go try to qualify and like events but not many riders talk positive about mx sports and this ridiculous national championship qualifier model. Its a money grap we all get it and accept it. It's an honor to be selected to run an area it says something about your tracks ability to host 500+ riders. But remember 75% of rider leave mad, why have some of those be your locals.

Just my opinion it really means nothing it's up to OMA team. I know I'll hit 2 or 3 ME one SE and maybe a NC or NE event more money than sense as my wife says.

Again nice to see quality tracks getting areas congrats to OMAs big 3.

Good luck.

First trackside can easily be set to give points for all that attend Area and whether they decide to qualify or not your series regulars can get event points by class series etc if you want.

1- out of towners aren't gonna want to buy OMA membership forcing them to do so at Area Q could cause some backlash for future.

2- local riders aren't gonna like the higher event fees. If your trying to qualify you accept it, others coming for series points will complain. Most area tracks charged $40 a class plus the $10 to mx sports. And Ama costs and some use transponders. Obviously higher weekend gate and practice fees go with that too. Forcing your regulars to attend an area for series points will just make them mad after a heat race and 3 lap lcq and trip home.

3- areas are hard complicated weekends with very big crowds why make your weekend harder and more complicated. I'm sure this will generate more questions during signup staggers staging, class confusion, gate refunds after fri or sat and questions on point issues after event.

5- locals are smart enough if they ain't qualifying they stay home most areas have very few not laying down $10 except those national guys that race 20 areas for competition as Jeremy mentioned. You could run it and most non qualifiers will home or race elsewhere.

6- lastly preserve your brand. Why mix the OMA / AMA success with the Area MX sports name. Most go try to qualify and like events but not many riders talk positive about mx sports and this ridiculous national championship qualifier model. Its a money grap we all get it and accept it. It's an honor to be selected to run an area it says something about your tracks ability to host 500+ riders. But remember 75% of rider leave mad, why have some of those be your locals.

Just my opinion it really means nothing it's up to OMA team. I know I'll hit 2 or 3 ME one SE and maybe a NC or NE event more money than sense as my wife says.

Good luck.

Well said, I tend to agree with all of that.

That sounds simple enough. Maybe then, the Ohio Qualifiers become MEGA Qualifiers since they have OMA year end points and LL area qualifying potential.

The only issue that I see is that the trackside software cannot pay points to certain people in each class. Or at least I doubt that it will. Then if you set up a certain race for just the points earning racers, then you might be setting yourself up for issues when a rider earns a 10th overall, but 3rd amongst the OMA points riders.

I will check into it, but in the past many good ideas die when given the trackside test.
Should not matter if your running for OMA points or not. You get 1st, 1st it 1st place points. You get 10th, 10th is 10th place points, and if 7 of the top ten were not racing for points, oh well.

Good luck.
I see what your saying...but I see this differently.

1. The way it stands now, only the AMA membership is required. I am suggesting to open the door for OMA points if you choose.

2. Yes, yes, and yes...unless it is worth it to them. You could consider making those double points bonus rounds for 9 race series(something...get creative.) It would be a reward for paying more and beating tougher competition. Basically...give the riders the value for their buck. Besides...riders already race without trying to qualify...so people already pay the price...this is just an additional feature to OMA members. Is it necessary? No. But it may be/could be really smart and good.

3. This is one of the aspects that always got to me when I was working...communication...clear, concise, and straight. If it is advertised, communicated, and administered correctly...no problem...even in conflict. After all, your only adding one check box and your card number to the sign up form. Then the extra points tracking which doesn't have to be posted same day...but is surely nice if it is.

4. Malvern is the only track with space restrictions...packed in like sardines. BC has steadily improved...but it's shocking in places.

5. Time to teach the riders something new...outside of the box, but realistic; that could potentially pass the track side test. (I also don't fully understand what your saying in #5.)

6. Don't mix OMA/AMA with MX sports? Refer to 2016 MX Sports Qualifiers schedule and the 2016 OMA schedule.

Go do it...improve and embolden Ohio MX. Be the example. Do it right. They are already committed. Why not build alliances for Ohio MX? Starting from grass roots and going further into the sport.

The people matter more than sport.

My opinion.

Last edited:
Stroub usually agree with what you post. Sometimes your heart can blind you slightly from what really will happen. Not to punch you man. Just sayin 186 is probably right on this one. I couldn't really disagree with anything he said as I have felt the exact same way about mxsports and have certainly been mad leaving qualifiers. And that's from a rider who was fortunate enough to hit many qualifiers and regionals throughout my child and teenage years.

I think adding OMXA series races to Sunday is a great idea. It will introduce OMXA regulars to MX Sports and it can also open the eyes of some LLQ regulars to the OMXA Series.
Most of the qualifiers I race in only half of the +50 class is even trying to qualify. Most are there for the race, or another series points race.
If someone complains about a non-qualifier messing up their moto, they aren't ready to compete at the armature national level yet.

Last edited:
186.....I would agree with most of what you say, however your points involving the large crowds and confusion I dont. It's just an area qualifier not a regional. The crowds in my experience aren't all that big. Not any where near what these 3 tracks are used to for the battle series.

Most of ME events are big unless bad weather etc. 500 to 700 entries for most weekend. Fast farms event had over 1100. The confusion usually occurs Saturday when guy or kids shows up not wanting to qualify and signs up for limited class. Back in the day if you weren't qualifying no big deal now whether you pay 10 or not today tracks are told those series guys still have to follow class rules. In staging last year at FF even though no additional series lots of non-q guys showed up being first race after winter. All day we had to tell riders with pipes, non OEM triple clamps and aftermarket hubs they couldn't race even though they weren't qualifying. They were of course mad and had paid and practiced fri and sat morning but no racing during staging inspection if out of compliance with youth limited rules. Ama has also cautioned track on any staggers with extra non-q classes etc.

Again why encourage this unless as track owner your worried your numbers will be low. Maybe an idea would be to offer OMA regulars that race all 3 ohio Qs and finish on podium in a class they get 1st gate pick for battle races or free gate.

Better if they podium three tough ME Qs maybe give last gate pick or turn them around backwards....

You can't run regular races on an LL qualifying weekend race. Unless you're running separate classes but that would be too many. Right? Won't happen.
Does happen. Sunday is mod and vet day. Happens every Sunday in the southern qualifiers on the east coastal series.
Elizabeth City will do it check out their web site.

Does happen. Sunday is mod and vet day. Happens every Sunday in the southern qualifiers on the east coastal series.
Elizabeth City will do it check out their web site.

Pretty much every area qualifier I have been to out of state does it also.

So an area qualifier you have to send $10 to Overlord Coombs just because they allow you the right to try to make it to the championship of the organization that we are all members of?
AND, track owners charge over 60% more to sign up, and you get the EXACT same product as you would if you raced there the next weekend?

Nothing says AMA championship like a price gouging monopoly.

I was already thinking some of the similar stuff to Steve and Jason. I really dont think tis a good idea to add more to an AQ. The majority of those racers dont care about the what happens after it. Many dont even pick up their awards. I got tons of them to prove it. So as far as a series, i think we just open ourselves up to more headaches.

Parking? You want to talk about parking? (use Jim Mora voice, look him up dirtbikers) Steve you've parked an ATV Nat......we did it too. If you can park that an AQ is a breeze. Heck Battle parking is tougher than an AQ, at least on Saturday. The AQ has people coming and going between Sat-Sunday. Its more like a 300-350 entry event each day.

Stroub usually agree with what you post. Sometimes your heart can blind you slightly from what really will happen. Not to punch you man. Just sayin 186 is probably right on this one. I couldn't really disagree with anything he said as I have felt the exact same way about mxsports and have certainly been mad leaving qualifiers. And that's from a rider who was fortunate enough to hit many qualifiers and regionals throughout my child and teenage years.
I think more can be done with the right brush strokes.

Baker, friend (we are,) this is motocross; not real-life. I'm just shooting straight. Motocross is not worth getting bummed out about in the big picture of life...atleast no longer to me.

But the people are a different story.

So dudes...carry on. Just talking.

Btw...maybe an OMA Ironman Championship...Vets only at qualifiers...starting with 25+ at the OMA class prices...unless their is money on the line.

Back