life flighted at Mini O's

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Just got word another kid has been life-flighted at the Mini O's. Details a little sketchy but it was in the 250 C class. He crashed and was crawling off the track when another kid landed on him.
Vital says he was from South Africa but I can not confirm.

Maybe a bad day to announce another 250 C has been added to LL's

It is happening WAY too often and weather you agree with me or not. SOMETHING has to be done about it. A kids life is not worth this crap.

But if he is crawling off the track, it was not the size of the jump or anything, that would be a freak accident. A racing incident for sure.

God Speed. Hate to hear that. Happens way too much anymore.

Yes, I was told it was a freak accident. Happened faster then anyone could react. Problem from my eyes is the power of the machine in the hands of an unqualified kid.
Just awful.

Horrible news for sure. I have to reply. How can you say lack of ability and horsepower is the reason for this accident. The 2 that were involved in this tragic accident could not have been as you say, lacking in abilities, or excessive HP from the 250. How in the world could anyone even police this? I have listened to analogies of how you guys think you have it figured out. And you don't. Nor could you even possibly attempt to implement a said system on ability check. Or an implement of max horsepower ratings. Imagine the cost of an onsite dyno to police this. You want the races to end sooner,Not gonna happen. This is RACING.. Whenever you place yourself or your kids in this environment, anything can happen.
Rarely the outcome is tragic. I have seen this at practice tracks as well.
Prayers for both family's involved.

The reason may have been that there was an artificial jump that the rider couldn't see over before
jumping. So if somebody was down there, you'll land on them.

Stupid.

Agreed Mike Schaefer. I'm a 19 year veteran A class racer that unfortunatly went down on a large blind step up in the spring with another rider. Third place was real close behind us two. Before the flagged could react I was in the middle of crawling off the track when I was engine cased by that poor rider. Long story short 21 days in 2 hospitals and 2 punctured lungs and a lung surgery I am thankful I'm still here. With that being said it did not matter what size bike I was on and if I had 30 years experience. It was being in the right place at the wrong time. The guy that hit me was a very respectable and clean rider with a ton of years experience. So if my story went tragic what would ck1racer say to that. Accidents are accidents. Thank the heavens it just wasn't worse for me.

Accidents happen. Of course. But this is happening way more often then say 20 years ago. Why? Tracks are jump filled. Bikes are faster and more powerful allowing everyone to do more then they may be capable of. Doing nothing is worse, saying it part of the sport and you take the risk crap is ridiculous if not criminal. It's not part of the sport. Building blind jumps are stupid and bring nothing to the sport other then unneeded risk. Having a "national race" for C riders is nothing then a money grab. If you are a beginner then you have no business even competing for a "championship". If you are putting your 14 year old kid on a 250f when he is not talented enough to win the mini sr. Class then you are a poor parent. If you are not wearing equipment like a neck brack and chest protector because it "restricts" your movement or is not "proven" then you sir are a moron. Changes need to happen but never will because no one accepts responsibility. And who is responsible? Everyone. Oem's that make the machines. Promoters that build dangerous tracks. Organizations that sanction events under the auspices of protecting your rights. Well, killing a bunch or riders and the AMA will not be able to hold back the wolves. Riders who don't wear protection and ride over their heads. And parents who push kids that are not good enough

This stuff happens in every form of racing, Period, I totally agree with safety and safe track building. Although times change, as does engineering of bikes safety equipment and suspensions. You can't even argue that motocross was safer back in the day. I'm mean a fricken 500cc anything would wad up the best rider at any given moment. Open face helmets, no chest neck or knee braces. Dusty tracks, I could go on and on. Safety today is better for the rider than it ever has been in the past. Everyone deserves the right to race!! Be it an A ,B, C, 65 riders anyone!! It seems like this whole C class thing just pisses certain people off. I don't get it. Everyone started in C class. Unless your just that dam good. Which I doubt.

Without real details as to the accident, jumping to conclusions, making assumptions and then statements based on those, is pretty a$$hole-y at a minimum.

Thoughts to the family and fellow competitors that are affected by the tragedy.

Thoughts and prayers to the families involved! This is a tragic accident and to make assumptions isn't the right thing to do. Let's all take a step back and give our positive thoughts and prayers to those involved in this. We have all crashed, or been injured riding our dirtbikes on here. We can't point fingers, let's be supportive and respectful to those involved.

The AMA has a process for a death at an event. At this time, there has not been any death reported. I not saying there wasn't a serious injury and I hope the rider life-flighted was for precaution reasons only. My heart and thoughts go out to that rider. I don't have the exact details.

Last edited:
Thanks Alex!

Knox how dare you report this. We are at the Mini O's and we personally know the young man that was life fight out. The young man is from South Africa and trains down at MTF. We sent same time this summer at MTF and my son became good friends with him. It bought tears to my son last night when he started too put it together that it was our friend that you were talking about. Then to put a agenda behind it was even more wrong. Next time get your facts straight.

Last edited:

39 COMMENTS

Six hospitalized during motocross competition at Gatorback Cycle Park

bilde

The bike belonging to a super-cross rider lays off to the side of the track after a bad crash that sent the rider airlifted to the hospital. The crash occurred during the 2015 Thor Winter Olympics, Monday November 23, 2015 at the Gatorback Cycle Park,in Alachua, Florida. That particular heat was halted to tend to the injured rider.

Cyndi Chambers/Ocala Star Banner
By Morgan Watkin
Staff writer
Published: Monday, November 23, 2015 at 9:01 p.m.
Last Modified: Monday, November 23, 2015 at 9:01 p.m.

Six people were transported to a hospital Monday from Gatorback Cycle Park in Alachua, which is hosting a motocross competition this week, authorities said.

An 82-year-old woman was struck by an off-road motorcycle at about 8:09 a.m. Monday at the Gatorback park and was taken to a hospital, Alachua County Sheriff's Office spokesman Art Forgey said. Then, around 8:48 a.m., emergency responders assisted an 11-year-old boy who fell off an off-road motorcycle and also had to be taken to a hospital for care.

Forgey did not have information on how extensive either person's injuries were but did say the 11-year-old boy had back pain.

Forgey said at least four other emergency calls for medical assistance were made at Gatorback Monday as well, although it was not clear whether any of those cases were directly related to the Winter Olympics events held at Gatorback that day.

A helicopter was used to airlift an unconscious child to a hospital early Monday afternoon, he said. A 14-year-old boy with a broken collarbone also was taken to a hospital that afternoon.

Another 14-year-old with rib and hip pain was taken to a hospital at around 3:24 p.m. from Gatorback, Forgey said. Shortly before that, around 2:55 p.m., a 19-year-old who lost consciousness but later regained it also was transported to a hospital for further care.

The Sun did not receive a response from Gatorback representatives to its email requesting an interview by Monday's deadline.

Back