Trx450r shock issues

Cody Wolford

PR Member
7beab58577cd2dd10cf0569cc17a3b6b.jpg
2381a4406335edef59920825c0078d0c.jpg

Just got my shocks back and the preload nuts don't seem right. The bottom nut with the shank is usually down inside of the spring. For some reason they're upside down and the guy hasn't gotten back to me yet.
Any reason to maybe why and is it going to hurt anything?

The Why? because whoever built those shocks built them incorrectly and quite possibly, maybe they should not be building your shocks at all. The next concern would be what else did they do incorrectly on the inside. I understand people make mistakes but that would be if it was only on one shock, not both.
Can it hurt anything? well, the spring retainer is facing the incorrect direction, therefore the spring could move laterally and the lock nut could potentially come loose.

Give us a call at Motosports MD and well get your suspension built properly.

The Why? because whoever built those shocks built them incorrectly and quite possibly, maybe they should not be building your shocks at all. The next concern would be what else did they do incorrectly on the inside. I understand people make mistakes but that would be if it was only on one shock, not both.
Can it hurt anything? well, the spring retainer is facing the incorrect direction, therefore the spring could move laterally and the lock nut could potentially come loose.

Give us a call at Motosports MD and well get your suspension built properly.

That's what I thought, the spring could slide off and cause issues, yet I called the guy and he said that he runs his like that too, never have any issues. Buddy of mine said his are like that and he doesn't have any problems.
I'm thinking about taking the spring off and fixing it myself. The spring shouldn't be to hard to take off to fix the retainer/nut.

Wolford Racing 248
Cody's Mowing Service, Joe's Tire, Lashley Tractor sales, FCR Supension (of Wheeling West Virginia), Fly Racing, Oury Grips USA, Rocky Mountain ATV MC, Meyers Coatings

The guy said (which is what I thought) he said it give a little more preload adjustment

Wolford Racing 248
Cody's Mowing Service, Joe's Tire, Lashley Tractor sales, FCR Supension (of Wheeling West Virginia), Fly Racing, Oury Grips USA, Rocky Mountain ATV MC, Meyers Coatings

The hardware needs fixed, flipped the right way. On preload, anywhere from 1/8"-5/8" in my opinion. Anything outside of the that range needs a different spring stack, or a major valving change. If you start creeping up into the 3/4-1" of preload its starting to get dangerous in terms of potential coil bind depending on the length of the spring, basically you could end up cracking or breaking the spring over time, because its compressing too far at full bottom out. I'd say thats a sketchy reason (more preload) to flip that piece around.

Back