A hard loss for the off road motorcycle community

hershey

PR Elite
I'm not sure how many of you know the Weppler family. They run Lightning raceway in Tippecanoe ohio. I have the pleasure of knowing and being friends with them for many years, not as close lately as I once was but friends indeed.

Last night Marla, Marks (Lightning) wife lost her battle to cancer. I don't really have the words to due her justice, she was a woman who would give you anything she had if you needed it....and then some. She didn't take s**t from anyone either though. Always there to give you a smile or give you a hard time too. The two of them provided ( and still do) a place for people to ride and race because they love the sport and love giving to people.

Please remember this great motorcycle family and say a prayer for them if you are so inclined.

How about if any of you knew Marla or even just Mark tell a little story about one of them or the track on here as a memorial.

For years Marla used to tell me I had to do a stiptease dance at her 50th birthday party!! That shows you how poor her taste was if anything. Looking back I guess I should have done it just for the laughs.

Marla was a great person to me as many years as I been going to lightning. She would always smile and give me a hard time at the entrance on race day. Mark and Marla always have treated me well through out my years of racing and I would do anything for those two if they would asked me. Moto Joe and I would like to thank her for all she has done and being such a wonderful person to both of us. She will be greatly missed.

One of the few Ohio promoters I didn't get the pleasure to knowing. Now I do recall racing at lightening on 60s. May she rest in peace and I am very thankful for having lightning to be a place provided by them for riding.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Weppler family! They were always very nice to me. I remember back in 1990 I was running my first harescramble down there. I was nervous, scared and had no idea what I was doing! The only open straight on the track was the field where the scoring barrels were so on the first lap I came ripping through there WIDE OPEN! Steve threw his clipboard at me and yelled "YOU STUPID MOTHER F'R! Mark and Marla just laughed and laughed. I had many years after that racing down there and I always enjoyed talking to them. Cancer sucks. It takes too many good people too soon.

Marla was an amazing woman. She scared the hell out of me, when she was angry.. but that really didn't happen often! She was an amazing Mom as well, her daughter Keela worked with us at Broken Spokes, back in the good ol days. She was the backbone of Lightning and she will be sadly missed by all. She was a great woman, wife, and mother. She fought as long as she could.. My thoughts and prayers are with Wep and the family.

Back