vet 261 in ama extra newsletter

smitty

PR Addict
opened my monthly email from the AMA ,scrolled down and bam!,hey I know that guy,Vet261 standing behind one of his many suzukis
a star is born

Ha! Yeah I remember that....jeez almost 6 years ago now. And the bike in the pic is now in the stable of Dano762.

After Chad Reed rode an old 2 stroke KX250 at a Supercross opening ceremony I remember the owner listing it and it being on EBay for a fortune.

Now that the 78 1/2 RM has a celebrity provenance it has to worth thousands more.

Taking offers on a famous RM!

That's funny-I remember that article in the AMA mag but I didn't know John at the time! I do remember I was just starting to think about vintage and I may have went to Mid-Ohio a year or two before that. Since 2002 I had only ridden trails in the Wayne national forest on my trusty DRZ400 but I did that all the time. I thought woods was the way to go so I restored an 80 KDX175 - did the HS in 2011 and all I remember thinking was "boy was that lap on the MX track at the start fun", not to mention it was like 105 degrees in the woods. The next year I also had a good friend loan me bike to race MX and it's been downhill since then..............

So how did you do racing the KDX Bill?

John has always been a good representative for central Ohio vintage racing.

Last edited:
Really odd day racing - my stator was cutting out and the bike was dying - it would not start kicking it so I literally had to push it up a hill in the HS to get to a downhill so I could roll and bump. I finished but pulled off so whooped and PO'd that I didn't even look. Again it was 105 degrees and I just sat in a chair for like an hour drinking gatorade-I did not feel right at all. About a month later a 2nd place plaque showed up at my house for the B/C class. Still not sure how it worked out that way?? I liked the KDX but decided to focus on MX-sold it do a Kawi fanatic, mostly street, and he was stoked. Still do a dualsport here and there....
006.JPG
w

You did a really nice job on that bike. I need to put more time into mine to get looking that good. How did you end deciding on such tall handlebars?
The KDX's will race when running well, and very durable.

Actually I didn't decide on the tall handlebars - they were on it. I am almost certain those are the stock bars from 1980. When I did that rebuild I had 2 bikes I made into 1 and remember thinking they were. I have extra wheels, forks, and some other stuff I think if you have a need.

Actually I didn't decide on the tall handlebars - they were on it. I am almost certain those are the stock bars from 1980. When I did that rebuild I had 2 bikes I made into 1 and remember thinking they were. I have extra wheels, forks, and some other stuff I think if you have a need.

Thanks Bill. I have no spare room to store anymore parts right now. But may hit you up later this year if you still have them. I'm planning another building project for this year to store my bikes and parts. It's amazing how easily and quickly stuff accumulates. I am wall to wall !

Back