Action Sports?

Fantastic News.
Kind of hard for anyone to complain about race opportunities this year.

12474005_10153889151373996_6073890224615794073_o.jpg

Let's take a moment to have an honest discussion here about this.

What do you guys feel keeps Action Sports from getting good turnouts at their track/home events ?

Don't know about the gps? Always wanted to ride some of them,but seems like they were always when I was going to a national. As far as vmx,I think the last Ahrma National was the biggest vintage race that I've been to there.The AMA series race was the biggest vintage race that year other than Mid-Ohio. I've been to vintage races all over the country,you never know who is going to show up! To have a big vintage event you have to have something unique : Unadilla is Unadilla! Diamond Dons took several years to build! Mid -Ohio is more than a race (we all know for the money to get in not worth it to just race) The Ahrma race at Florida coming up should be bigger than it is,with gas prices now why won't more people go ? If 2 or 3 people go together,split driving we have been home for people to go to work on Monday morning! Back to action sports Drew needs something that other people are not doing,to bring people in and I don't know what that is? Same thing with Ahrma Reginal Series needs something more or its one and done!

Action Sports experienced an attendence downturn like most other local tracks. They also had a couple of years when the weather didn't cooperate. And despite of the rosey numbers issued by the government, the economy isn't back. Present fuel prices may help some but that won't make a big difference to the locals.

As for the vintage races, they really hit their zenith right before the economy went south. And in Action Sports case hung on for a few more years but then race the organizations split to further reduce turnout. Another factor is when the vintage races where big, the 50+ class had the largest numbers. There's a huge difference between being 50 and 60 and as was the case with the guys who got me started in vintage racing, many cut back or quit entirely before they get to the 60+ class.

I was really disappointed with Action Sports last year that after presenting a GP schedule, canceling the GP schedule, engaging in vintage racing discussion, setting a race weekend http://www.actionsportsracing.com/vintage-racing.html
and then scheduling another late GP,
11049495_10153614687933996_9060264300820036200_n.jpg

only the Team HS happened.

A promoter really needs to provide the racers with the confidence that they can plan on an event or schedule and that the promoter will make every effort to follow through. The situation with Action Sports last year was a strange one. The talk coming from the promoter was basically that the onus for racing to occur was to be placed on the racers but then the promoter did nothing to make the events happen. I certainly don't know what happened but I'm hoping that things improve this year.
I'd really like to continue to enjoy Action Sports.

I just wonder if Drew did more with what he has for a motocross track if that would help. He gets no respect there from the modern crowd.
Heck, I'm not even so sure that he's getting much respect for the MX track from the vintage/PV crowd?

I really like a lot of the track. The big elevation change on the hill towards the back is a blast jumping off the drop. Then heading back down that hill towards the 180 before the big climb all the time wondering if those old drum brakes are going to slow me down enough to make the turn and then finding the right gear to charge up the hill is so much fun. I like the woods section near the beginning. Most of the reason I don't come in last is because it always seems like there are guys on the ground where is gets greasy under those trees. There are some good wide open fast sections.

Kinda makes you want to get there soon doesn't it!!!

KO1-That was well stated, the guys who were not around back in 06, 07 and 08 missed the best times in vintage/PV racing. Crowds were huge compared to now. Heck back in the late 90's the AHRMA vintage was really big too. The fact that I have a garage full of bikes I can't give away tells me the vintage crowd is very small. Seems like the Euro guys have quit buying as much stuff also

And despite of the rosey numbers issued by the government, the economy isn't back. Present fuel prices may help some but that won't make a big difference to the locals.

KO1-That was well stated, the guys who were not around back in 06, 07 and 08 missed the best times in vintage/PV racing. Crowds were huge compared to now. Heck back in the late 90's the AHRMA vintage was really big too. The fact that I have a garage full of bikes I can't give away tells me the vintage crowd is very small. Seems like the Euro guys have quit buying as much stuff also

Facts that can't be ignored.
Nancy and I will spend to race and participate, but none of this is important enough to wreck our household budget or retirement to do it.

It would be great if this was just a phase that the sport itself is going through and not become the new normal for vintage racing?

It would probably also help if Action Sports were in racing series with other tracks.

Last edited:
Facts that can't be ignored.
Nancy and I will spend to race and participate, but none of this is important enough to wreck our household budget or retirement to do it.

It would be great if this was just a phase that the sport itself is going through and not become the new normal for vintage racing?

Mike, you must not be in your 40s anymore! The realities you mentioned have smacked me in the face in the past few years.

As much as a phase it is a progression of time and aging racers made worse by the slow economic recovery.

The New Normal = Non-Current is the new Post Vintage, Post Vintage is the new Vintage, and Vintage becomes antique.

Real class growth is in the bike years between 1988 and 1998. This creates track/jump challenges for promoters.

KO1''s comments are spot on. 60 being a huge difference than being 50 - really good perspective, scary but right.

This might be a stretch, but I wonder if Health Care factors into this decision for the 60+ crowd disappearance?
From my own perspective, injury risk and cost's cross's my mind more now than it did in the past. And it's not so much a fear of the injury as much as it is a the medical bills and time off work because of the injury. My Health Insurance policy is OK, but it absolutely sucks compared to those that we know who have federal, state, county, or city jobs. And hitting 50 years old, I've just entered the ramp up time frame for retirement planning, so steady work is vital.

This might be a stretch, but I wonder if Health Care factors into this decision for the 60+ crowd disappearance?
From my own perspective, injury risk and cost's cross's my mind more now than it did in the past. And it's not so much a fear of the injury as much as it is a the medical bills and time off work because of the injury. My Health Insurance policy is OK, but it absolutely sucks compared to those that we know who have federal, state, county, or city jobs. And hitting 50 years old, I've just entered the ramp up time frame for retirement planning, so steady work is vital.

No, it's physical. Recovery, healing, virtually everything just takes longer.

When I was 50, I fairly easily got myself in real good shape.
83.jpg

170 lbs. and feeling better than when I was 40.

But at 60, lets just say I'm still working on it (way down to 190). And it's not easy.

Mike, enjoy your youth!

Back