Blackwater 100

Matt Snyder

PR Member
Anyone remember the Blackwater 100? Not sure why they stopped running it. Do they run anything similar in the Ohio / Pa area still? I'd love to go check it out.

blackwater-100-atv.jpg

blackwater-100-bike.jpg

I went in 1992. I have watched every video I can find trying to see myself. I have an old racing paper from that year that shows results. It was a wild time.
I think the EPA may have shut it down.

Yeap, tree huggers killed it.
And I think some of the property was purchased by someone else... maybe not, that was a long time ago

There were bogs where the race just destroyed stuff and caused massive
erosion problems. Instead of rerouting and figuring out a way to keep the
race, the owner of the property (an electric utility if I remember right) pulled
the plug.

Powerline park GNCC in St Clairsville is about the closest you will get to that in Ohio. Plenty of youtube videos out there. Don't let your photo gear ( or anything else) out of your sight if you go.

Thanks Mark! I need to check the schedule and map this, see how far it is from Canton.

Was at the 100 in 87 and 88, My dad was in a group called M.O.D.A. so much fun good memreys as a kid hangin out at the 93 RIVERCROSS. There was always a group of M.O.D.A. riders there every year, I think one of Bakers relative live in the Main strip where they stared got pictures of my play in the BW100 pinball machine, wow memreys......

Was at the 100 in 87 and 88, My dad was in a group called M.O.D.A. so much fun good memreys as a kid hangin out at the 93 RIVERCROSS. There was always a group of M.O.D.A. riders there every year, I think one of Bakers relative live in the Main strip where they stared got pictures of my play in the BW100 pinball machine, wow memreys......
lol thats awesome

Taking a $10,000.00 dollar fuel injected bike with a wire harness, sensors, a battery to a black water 100? I hope you have a sponsor!

Mark Hyde, the Blackwater badass, is responsible for the KTM demo days at BC. Much respect for Mark.

Overall Blackwater winner four times. AMA National Hare Scrambles Champion. Multi-time AMA Reliability Enduro Champion. Went on to be Rodney Smith's mechanic and was instrumental in Smith's five GNCC championships. Made dual-sports as a thing throughout the 1990s while he worked for Suzuki supporting the AMA's National Dual Sport Series. This was all before he made KTM's off-road demo program the envy of the industry--and has kept it there the last 10 years or so. Mark's cool! Also a local central Ohio guy.

Edit: Shoot, forgot to mention that he was part of the 1982 World Trophy Team that got second in the ISDE.

Back