AMA Sound Testing Kits

mshafer62

PR Addict
Excessive exhaust noise has been and will continue to be an issue with non-motorcyclists, especially neighbors of existing tracks.

Possibly it's time the OMA & affiliated tracks could step-up and take the lead, helping educate riders and racers (motorcycles and quad) about excessive sound???

Application deadline is March 31

The AMA Government Relations Department is giving away sound testing kits to AMA Districts, club members and others who educate riders about sound.

The kits contain a Type 2 sound meter, a tachometer, training materials, a spark-arrestor probe, personal protective equipment and a storage case. Kits are awarded through a competitive grant process. Nine kits will be awarded in 2016.

SoundKit3.sflb.ashx

Applicants must complete a form and return it to the AMA Government Relations Department by March 31. Forms and additional information are available from Steve Salisbury, government affairs manager for off -highway issues at American Motorcyclist Association, 202-220-1390 or grassroots@ama-cycle.org

Applications are considered twice. So, those who submitted applications in 2015, but were not selected, need not submit applications to be considered for the 2016 grants.

(this is the 2015 press release amended for 2016 per the info in AMA magazine ms)

The purpose of the post isn't to eliminate any group or person. It's about being proactive with the participants
rather than being reactive in court with the tracks neighbors.
With the updated AMA and FIM regulations, the newer bikes seem to be quieter but there are always exceptions.

Deep in my heart it would surprise me if an organization or track that posts on here regularly will take
the lead to address the issue but when their track or your favorite track closes due to problems with the
neighbors it will be a 20 pager on here...

The purpose of the post isn't to eliminate any group or person. It's about being proactive with the participants
With the updated AMA and FIM regulations, the newer bikes seem to be quieter but there are always exceptions.

Deep in my heart it would surprise me if an organization or track that posts on here regularly will take
the lead to address the issue but when their track or your favorite track closes due to problems with the

I think it would be great if someone like OMA set up a tech for maybe the Battle series to check this season. Let everyone get tested going out to practice or something on the Saturday before the race. Just to let people know where their bikes are. I run a Dr. D pipe an have wondered, mine seems loud for sure.

Here are my findings doing sound testing while at SuperTrapp/Kerker
I had the chance to actually go to the "certified sound testing lab" at SAE to do testing on an exhaust we made for Indian Motorcycles where we did static and drive by testing.

A) You need a special non reflective surface to test on.
B) You need a totally quiet ambient testing area (no highway vehicle noise, no wind noise etc).

What I have learned from testing.
A) You CANNOT hold the RPM EXACTLY at the suggested testing RPM because of multi dimensional ignitions the Db reading WILL fluctuate giving a false reading.
B) Simply setting the Db tester to "hold" will give the highest reading, some do have an average but that is jaded because of not being able to maintain a correct test RPM.
C) The proper way is to use a clip on Tach and a Db test program on a laptop to take into consideration the RPM variation and to do the test over a period of X seconds to get the average RPM vs Db

Some things to consider: A NON EPA engine is one not under the EPA/DOT umbrella. Quads DO have modified EPA engines meaning they have baffled airboxes, large heavy baffled and spark arrested mufflers but do not really suffer as much as on road titled machines in the cam, ignition and intake restrictions. A competition dirt bike is a NON EPA engine,,,,for now.

Semi or NON EPA engines:
NON EPA engines the engine alone CAN make additional noise. How?
NON EPA engines do not have airbox baffles. You old guys, do you remember flipping the air filter lid on your car to get that quadrajet bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaHHHHHH noise when accelerating)?
NON EPA engines do not have reduced camshaft lift/durations.
NON EPA engines do not have smaller intake runners or EFI restrictors.
NON EPA engines do not have modified ignition curves.
When testing a NON EPA engine how can you possibly be sure you are testing the engine exhaust ??? You could be getting (in addition to) airbox /intake noise, engine noise (cam, valves etc).

IF you want to do some fun reading you could research the thousands of pages in the EPA tier II emission standard and learn more about the restrictions put on EFI machines , happy reading there.

So once again the jaded way of testing rears its ugly and ancient head.

Suggestions for track owners:
Track owners could possibly reduce reflection by changing track routing where exhaust exit is away from neighbors.
Using high dirt banking or trees for damping.
Starting lines with exhausts facing away from houses.

Aside from everyone keeping the packing updated on their muffler, there is not much we can do.

Not to ruffle feathers but I think you missed the point. Not ALL QUADS but most quadtards are the problem. Most quadtards remove the packing from a canister they cut in half. I replace the packing in my canister at 15 hrs. If most did this there would be less problems. Aftermarket companies could make quieter canisters but they won't give you 2.5 more hp on a 60 hp bike. So no one will buy them. If MX tracks forced participants to run stock exhaust could this help?

I love that pic of sound testing.
Fail #1 No one can be standing near the rear of the machine while testing is being done. (Reflective pulse wave)
Fail #2 testing right next to a track with possibility of bikes going by, NICE !!!
Fail #3 the poor guy trying to hold the throttle at "X" RPM while looking at that stupid wiggle tachometer.

As for aftermarket exhausts, yes they CAN make quieter mufflers:
A) Increase perf tube hole % so that more of the pulse wave is absorbed in the packing.
B) Increase the length and diameter of the muffler canister so there is more packing to absorb the pulse wave.
C) Add a EU/TUV tip which has an additional muffler.
YES they can make a quiet exhaust and make power, but size is the problem, where do you fit a huge muffler in such a small space.
You need a large volume of absorption material to dampen the pulse wave, that or a multi chamber rat maze which is really heavy which no one wants.

I love that pic of sound testing.
Fail #1 No one can be standing near the rear of the machine while testing is being done. (Reflective pulse wave)
Fail #2 testing right next to a track with possibility of bikes going by, NICE !!!
Fail #3 the poor guy trying to hold the throttle at "X" RPM while looking at that stupid wiggle tachometer.

As for aftermarket exhausts, yes they CAN make quieter mufflers:
A) Increase perf tube hole % so that more of the pulse wave is absorbed in the packing.
B) Increase the length and diameter of the muffler canister so there is more packing to absorb the pulse wave.
C) Add a EU/TUV tip which has an additional muffler.
YES they can make a quiet exhaust and make power, but size is the problem, where do you fit a huge muffler in such a small space.
You need a large volume of absorption material to dampen the pulse wave, that or a multi chamber rat maze which is really heavy which no one wants.

I recognize that pic - I took it! Haha, but I can also attest to the fact most bikes that day passed and the only one that didn't was a KTM520 with the biggest end cap on it and had likely never been repacked. Most violators were quads and were told to make it quieter and come back for another test. But whenever one failed the testing, multiple tests were done to confirm the reading so the positioning of standbyers or distant track noise wasn't much a factor. There is always going to be some ambient noise from some direction for all tests done in the open, even those passing them. With that said, I agree with your comments - the designing tactics by track owners are great ideas and riders need to repack their mufflers! Loud does not equal power and worn out packing can cost you power. Tracks using the test equipment can do so as a courtesy to help make riders more cognizant (and considerate) and not necessarily to ban them from the track. Maybe somebody could make a good buck repacking mufflers at the track? Doesn't take that long to do.

Would be nice to have that thing on practice day and let you know if you were compliant.

Pass the test in inspection. Change pipe. Problem solved.

I recognize that pic - I took it! Haha, but I can also attest to the fact most bikes that day passed and the only one that didn't was a KTM520 with the biggest end cap on it and had likely never been repacked. Most violators were quads and were told to make it quieter and come back for another test. But whenever one failed the testing, multiple tests were done to confirm the reading so the positioning of standbyers or distant track noise wasn't much a factor. There is always going to be some ambient noise from some direction for all tests done in the open, even those passing them. With that said, I agree with your comments - the designing tactics by track owners are great ideas and riders need to repack their mufflers! Loud does not equal power and worn out packing can cost you power. Tracks using the test equipment can do so as a courtesy to help make riders more cognizant (and considerate) and not necessarily to ban them from the track. Maybe somebody could make a good buck repacking mufflers at the track? Doesn't take that long to do.

The problem is HOW the test is done as stated above.
Im just going by the SAE/EU/TUV/JMCA etc standard for doing the test. (reflection of ambient noise)
While I was at HMF we did some sound testing at random GNCC's we also did provide a race support repacking service (for a small fee) which we usually did not charge.
We tested at a few races then it fizzled, I suspect for the same reason, promoters need revenue, telling a rider "you cannot race today" would prolly never happen.

Ok fine, lets set a 98Db limit. just for SnG's
Plan A)
Who is going to pay for the testing equipment ( unless you get one free from the AMA) yeah a radio shack meter and a cheap tach can be had to do the job.
Who is going to actually do the testing? That means 2 people to do the testing (one to maintain RPM and one to read the meter)
You need a relatively open quiet area to do a test, not a big deal usually, but testing takes TIME, got that???? prolly not. LINES, I see endless LINES....
Tech can be done at sign up bring your bike with the sticker on the can, but packing may only last 15 hours, soooo how old is that sticker??????
Who is going to pay for the "Db pass" sticker that will go on the muffler?
Every track, every race, you would need to test.
People cheat, get a can that passes, go to tech then switcheroo. prolly mostly to save time.
Awww you fail, now what?? How many riders would PAY a gate fee and race fee only to be told sorry Charlie u cant ride, repack that muffler, oh yeah the trackside vendor has a $12 packing kit for $40 or you tell him to be repacked next race, let the bum ride with that hollow can which defeats the whole reason for testing in the first place.
How many riders have a proper drill bit to drill out the stainless steel rivets on most muffler cans??? not many.
sO now what????

Plan B:
Keep on keepin on, yeah thats the ticket !

Such negativity AHRMA guy. As the pic proves, all the things you said wouldn't happen did. This was a HS at HVMC and the club members involved were trained and eager. Could some things been done better like the location? Yes, but trackside testing is for a different purpose than lab testing - rather to get an exact consistent reading for a certain exhaust, they're simply looking for a pass/fail. That's why the multiple readings in the event of a fail. And lines? It never got long as it doesn't take long... something you're used to doing anyway if you're racing AHRMA. Simply put, your plan B sucks as that does nothing to make riders more cognizant. Kudos to the AMA for giving 9 sets away to help get clubs on board!

My comments were constructive.
"PLAN B" I was making a JOKE about what we are doing at this time regarding sound testing or ways to reduce noise..... which is nothing.

MY comments on the photo were based on my experience doing "in the field" sound testing at GNCC's both before and after we used the "averaging program"
In fact, my job was to hold the throttle and maintain rpm just like the guy is doing.
There is nothing wrong with doing an "in the field" test with radio shack Db meter and an wire tach.

As for your lines, well if the turn out is small, no big deal, if you are testing at the Unadilla GNCC then problem, right?
I have not raced an AHRMA event in probably 20 years

Im just stating that there is a better way which takes less time (no need to do multiple tests) and is FAIR.
AGAIN:
Holding throttle position to "X" RPM with a multi dimensional ignition is hard, the meter is usually set to "hold" to pick out the HIGEST Db READING, using software that measures over 10 or so seconds which takes an AVERAGE Db reading is more FAIR and ACCURATE.

Unbunch your panties, im all for ways to quiet exhaust noise.

FYI: I am willing to DONATE MY TIME if needed for any testing.

Would be nice to have that thing on practice day and let you know if you were compliant.

Pass the test in inspection. Change pipe. Problem solved.
Not that easy. People aren't gonna want to just "change there exhausts" People are gonna Bitch and complain to the track officials and owners and then they will say there never coming back, then they claim its the track owners fault for not allowing them race cause they didnt wanna change the exhaust. :mad::eek:o_O

Last edited:
If someone says they are not coming back because they can not adhere to the rules then bye - bye...... The sport does not need them.

Set the max sound level, define how the test is to be performed, check the bikes. You pass, great. You fail, you don't race until you fix it. DONE
Testing for nearly anything and everything is subjective. To bad. These are the rules. Don't like it? Take up tennis.

In a sport that is hated by the tree huggers because you are causing erosion, global warming (or whatever they are calling it this month). Taking away the natural environment of the rare yellow spotted dick moth. The government hates us since we are mostly a cash business which makes to hard to collect taxes. Local zoning laws are written to prevent tracks because of dust, eye sore, traffic, danger and any number of other BS. We can AT LEAST create a rule limiting the sound level of the bikes just to keep the neighbors happy.

Back