Selling bike and title transfer

loneranger171

PR Addict
Like thread title says if I have a clear title and buyer purchases my dirt bike do I have to go to notary public with the buyer? I've never titled last bike because I had no loan or a desire to get state road or state land permit which I guess requires bike to be titled... So the buyer says...

If the bike is in your name a notary usually has to witness you sign it over to the buyer. Unless he knows someone that will do it for him that's what I've had to do. If it's in someone else's name still and it was notarized by them just pass it along.

The safest approach is go to the title office with the buyer and have them get their new title while you are there. Then you know they actually titled it and you are no longer the legal owner - in case he lands on someone and they sue everybody - including the legal owner.

If the bike is in your name a notary usually has to witness you sign it over to the buyer. Unless he knows someone that will do it for him that's what I've had to do. If it's in someone else's name still and it was notarized by them just pass it along.
Yeah it was notarized by him and his bank when he payed off the loan he had against the bike purchase. I just got the title after that but never titled in my name. So I guess it would skip me and go from 1st owner to the new owner since my name isn't even on the title I just did bill of sale I've never titled my bikes with the title office mostly cuz I didn't get a loan against it. I must be old half my bikes were just seller handing used bike and title off to the buyer and that was it

According to the letter of the law in Ohio, legally you must transfer the title of the vehicle into your name before selling it to another party.
The basic rule in Ohio is that you are not allowed to sell any type of motorcycle without a title.
--If after 1999 and vehicle is from Ohio, you are required to transfer title into your name before selling to another party
--If prior to 1999, you are required to get a title made before selling in Ohio.
--If from out of state, you are required to change into Ohio title before selling.
http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/titles-apv.aspx

Again, all that is how the laws are written for what you are supposed to do. Do people follow all of that? You tell me.

Well nobody is prosecuting the many that don't follow those laws.
I agree it's rather stupid and another way to collect more tax dollars... Ive always just written on the title as a 2nd owner selling to the next owner in the past now they want to get me for taxes on a bike I'm titling and selling and then again taxes on the bike being bought from me from the new buyer...

No, you do not have to go to a notary with the buyer.

What you need to do is go to a notary by yourself, and have them notarize your signature on the "seller" portion of the back of the title. Having the buyer there with you is not required. UPS store or your bank should have a notary on staff.

No, you do not have to go to a notary with the buyer.

What you need to do is go to a notary by yourself, and have them notarize your signature on the "seller" portion of the back of the title. Having the buyer there with you is not required. UPS store or your bank should have a notary on staff.
what he said. so many ppl make such a big deal of this. its super easy and you can find a notary just about everywhere, theres even mobile ones that for a small fee will come to you.

dont sign anything on your part til your in front of notary, have them notarize the selling portion. its then done you can hand title to wheover buys it, they dont fill anything out until they are in front of notary (at this pooint theyd be at the title office)

Having a signed and notarized title in your hand before you go to sell it is the easiest way to do it. just be careful where you keep it.

Sometimes the notary gives me a hard time if the buyers section is not filled out. I just tell her that he is coming after the bank is closed from 2 hrs away and he wants to take the title with him. She has not turned me away yet.

Back