We need a Mid-West 2 stroke series like the California series.

We already have one, or maybe TWO AHRMA & now the AHRMA GREAT LAKES regional series, 99% 2 stroke, and if a thumper sneaks in that's ok.

I don't think AHRMA (current class structure) is a substitute or the same as the 2 stroke series in the California series. In AHRMA anything past Ulitma (1984) is an afterthought, not part of a series, and there is no guarantee modern "support classes" will be run. It was a failed attempt just trying to get an 82 KX legal in Ultima.

Another obstacle is the track configurations/changes made to match the old bikes and riders. Newer class bikes and/or younger riders might not want to race modern 2 strokes on vintage friendly tracks.

Newer class bikes and/or younger riders might not want to race modern 2 strokes on vintage friendly tracks.

I'm not sure that will be a big issue. I actually think it would draw a whole new crowd of older folks on newer 2 strokes. One of the most fun times I've had racing was racing my modern 450 on the Log Road "vintage" track as a support class. Went around almost all of the jumps but it was just plain fun.

I don't think AHRMA (current class structure) is a substitute or the same as the 2 stroke series in the California series. In AHRMA anything past Ulitma (1984) is an afterthought, not part of a series, and there is no guarantee modern "support classes" will be run. It was a failed attempt just trying to get an 82 KX legal in Ultima.

Another obstacle is the track configurations/changes made to match the old bikes and riders. Newer class bikes and/or younger riders might not want to race modern 2 strokes on vintage friendly tracks.

agreed, if your betting on AHRMA to save and advance the older bikes I don't hold to much hope. The whole problem with AHRMA has always been not thinking forward. You need to bring in the younger crowd (like 30 ish) Non-current or late 80's bikes. Most of the people I raced vintage with in the late 90's are gone (quit racing) Hell does AHRMA even have a front disc brake class yet ? The whole reason people leave and start a new series is AHRMA doesn't want to open up classes. I think a 2 stroke series would bring in enough riders to support the older bikes.

Reactions: k01
Have you guys ever seen the Century race down at Barber? I would like to see vintage moto follow that type of class structure. Start at 25 year old and then another class every 10 years older. That way we would have a year newer bike being eligible each year. This year you could race a 1991 then next year a 1992 would be an option. I would think that way you are pulling in "new" guys that started on those bikes being more interested in racing. Right now I am just on the outside in age when it comes to vintage bikes. In 1983 I was on an 80. A 1983 YZ250 means nothing to me. I never rode one growing up and don't really care about riding one now. Now if the years progressed with the calendar and 1985 was legal, That was the year I moved up to 125 and I would have 5 of them if I could race it.
The current format gets older and older with each passing year and the guys that are interested in those bikes get older and older. Vintage racing badly needs new blood.
I digress...
A real 2 stroke series would be nice and I would sure think it would have a pretty good following. The limited class structure looks pretty good in the Cali series. Run 125's, 250's and 500's against each other. I think that is pretty cool

That way we would have a year newer bike being eligible each year. This year you could race a 1991 then next year a 1992 would be an option. I would think that way you are pulling in "new" guys that started on those bikes being more interested in racing. Right now I am just on the outside in age when it comes to vintage bikes. In 1983 I was on an 80. A 1983 YZ250 means nothing to me. ....The current format gets older and older with each passing year and the guys that are interested in those bikes get older and older. Vintage racing badly needs new blood.

You said this very well.

I think Vintage/PostVintage is too focused on bike era/technology and not enough on the racing experience and the aging racer.

The technical purity and competitive edge a slightly newer bike might have over an older bike is really meaningless compared to how fast the rider is. You could put me on a 2016 YZ450f and Scott on a 1974 Honda Trail 70 - and he would win.

Vet261 said one of the most fun races he did was a modern bike on a vintage friendly track. Instead of the marketing all about vintage bikes, market a safer racing experience. A track set up for vintage (going around the biggest stuff) has all the fun and competition of racing for guys that can't take the risk of messing up on a big double or triple or don't want to get landed on if they roll it.

Have you guys ever seen the Century race down at Barber? I would like to see vintage moto follow that type of class structure. Start at 25 year old and then another class every 10 years older. That way we would have a year newer bike being eligible each year. This year you could race a 1991 then next year a 1992 would be an option. I would think that way you are pulling in "new" guys that started on those bikes being more interested in racing. Right now I am just on the outside in age when it comes to vintage bikes. In 1983 I was on an 80. A 1983 YZ250 means nothing to me. I never rode one growing up and don't really care about riding one now. Now if the years progressed with the calendar and 1985 was legal, That was the year I moved up to 125 and I would have 5 of them if I could race it.
The current format gets older and older with each passing year and the guys that are interested in those bikes get older and older. Vintage racing badly needs new blood.
I digress...
A real 2 stroke series would be nice and I would sure think it would have a pretty good following. The limited class structure looks pretty good in the Cali series. Run 125's, 250's and 500's against each other. I think that is pretty cool
You do know that a '85 YZ 125 is just a '83 with a front disc and a slower motor with a more durable stator? Euro white and red of course also.

You do know that a '85 YZ 125 is just a '83 with a front disc and a slower motor with a more durable stator? Euro white and red of course also.
yeah but they looked bitch'n in those white / red colors ! never did understand why more people didn't just bolt on a 83 cylinder to the 84/85 YZ125's

Back