AMA VMD racing back to 2 separate days

Must of had a lot of complaints over last years deal.
My only gripe was being cheated out of my 3rd moto's.

Reactions: DTS
It works better this way, I know of several riders last year that could only make it up 1 day, a 2 day event is hard to make work.

Yes and no, I really liked the 3 moto / 2 day format, with an optional practice Friday pm, gave us a chance to ride 3 consecutive days. I liked the timed race schedule, and would have liked to get the third moto in last year. They did the best the could with the weather.

I still think that a 2 moto, 4 lap race, on a temporary track makes a mockery of a AMA National Championship.

But it is what it is, does anybody know if you can buy a weekend membership in AMA, seems like that my only AMA sanctioned race this year.

I did not race there last year because I did not trust that the AMA could execute the race as promised. I look forward to attending the swap meet on Saturday and racing on Sunday.

Yep, glad it's back to two separate days this year. After being track side for 2 days last year, I ended up with just 1 moto per day (a second moto on sunday would have been very doable). I much prefer checking out the sights on 2 of the 3 days and then having just one day where I'm tied to the track.

I don't really care whether it's called a national championship, world championship, ohio championship, whatever championship or that it's on a temporary track...for me, it's just about having a great time that's close to home! For that same reason, I'll be looking forward to the AHRMA races at rt62 this year.

I liked three moto format. Rain shortened the program but at least all 50 classes got two motos in. Separate days last year would of screwed all Sunday racers with a one moto or option to race m2 in a mud fest. I know why Alex pushed for three moto concept, he knows the biggest AMA MX championship in the world happens at Loretta Lynn's each year and his idea was to incorporate as many ideas into the VMD event. He knows 1st hand how three motos make racing better and tougher. The motos dropping at set times was flawless but I was shocked how many couldn't figure out when their moto was even though the class name was in the order with a time next to it.

He said the idea was a trial last year and most wanted it back to normal or in my mind same as s**t. The two day format sucks. Clearly the Sunday race crowd is bigger and the growth of vintage racing seems to be the non current classes but the best spectator day is Saturday. Feels like us non current guys are 2nd class citizens when it comes to vintage events the tracks are too tame and too tailored to the likes of the Saturday bikes. And splitting the crowd means each day the track won't be rough either. Racing everyone Saturday/Sunday and into one program got the track close to a real mx track. Running 200 entries each day is like going to a local practice event. Maybe part of vintage racing is sticking with all the bad ideas that used to be part of racing like hay bales, banners lining the tracks, tobacco sticks, etc. Maybe some snow-fence 25 feet from the track will bring back some feel good memories. AMA needs to figure out how make vintage racing modern. Go check out the other biggest mx race event that happens to not be AMA but happens to have more vintage bikes than any AMA or Arhma event and they happen on a modern track. It's called Day in the Dirt. I want to race my old bike on a modern mx track.

So I'm gonna pass on the event this year, stay home and spend my $500 on Guns n Roses reunion tix. Live in Nashville July 9th. Alex and I plan to race our non current bikes at monster mountain in May. He'll be at VMD but I sure he won't gave time to ride. Bummer he built the most badass non current bike I've ever seen. He got me hooked in building and racing old bikes but the VMD race experience sucks in my opinion. I want go to big races with new ideas and race formats. VMD is cool one time.

Lastly I want to make clear my opinions are no way intended to to be a slight on AMA I believe in what they do in MX and even though AMA Alex is family I don't support his ideas because he is family I support his good ideas and tell him to his face when I hear bad ones because he is family. And of course he ignores everything I tell him because he says I'm a C rider and he's an A rider with a Factory KX.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Yes and no, I really liked the 3 moto / 2 day format, with an optional practice Friday pm, gave us a chance to ride 3 consecutive days. I liked the timed race schedule, and would have liked to get the third moto in last year. They did the best the could with the weather.

I still think that a 2 moto, 4 lap race, on a temporary track makes a mockery of a AMA National Championship.

But it is what it is, does anybody know if you can buy a weekend membership in AMA, seems like that my only AMA sanctioned race this year.
I renewed membership too,if it wasn't 40 miles from home wouldn't go!

Back