Carmichael Skin Cancer

mshafer62

PR Addict
With the weather looking like it's about to move directly from Win-Spring into Summer.
It only takes a couple seconds to apply sunscreen. Don't have any? It's always in my trailer, stop over. Couldn't post all the pics so click the link.

http://livemotocross.com/listen-to-...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

LISTEN TO RICKY CARMICHAEL AND WEAR SUNSCREEN
- February 18, 2016
With sports like motocross a huge amount of time is spent outside in the sunshine, sometimes for hours on end. Ricky Carmichael recently posted images of his treatment of skin cancer (melanoma) on his Instagram, certainly not pleasant to look at but Ricky makes a great point about using sunblock/sunscreen – its takes minutes to apply, its a no brainer really.

Screen-Shot-2016-02-18-at-09.48.14.jpg

Last edited:
Going through my np program it made sense when I read about skin cancers and diseases of the system.

Red heads have the highest risk. They're so fair skinned. They'll fry like a lobster on an overcast day... The darker the skin the lower the risk for melanoma.

What I gather is African Americans can be outside in the sun 24:7 and still have a less chance of developing melanoma than the fairest red head who applies loads of sunblock.

Going through my np program it made sense when I read about skin cancers and diseases of the system.

Red heads have the highest risk. They're so fair skinned. They'll fry like a lobster on an overcast day... The darker the skin the lower the risk for melanoma.

What I gather is African Americans can be outside in the sun 24:7 and still have a less chance of developing melanoma than the fairest red head who applies loads of sunblock.
I gladly appreciate your reference to red hair follicle individuals as redheads as opposed to gingers. Ginger's supposedly have no soul, well, I am Irish and I have some soul let me tell you what! LOL
But yes, indeed, I fly like bacon in a deep fryer when the sun is out. I do however, get tan after I burn off two or three layers of skin. LOL

Yea. I lived with one for many years. The soul part might be true. That kid would be redder than the Dr Pepper can at the pool or out on the boat. If you're a lucky redhead your freckles come to your melanoma rescue to help ease the killing effects of the sun! Ha.

Been there done that numerous times boys. Still have some. wear sun screen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using PitRacer mobile app

I'm not a red head but I had a melanoma mole removed from my back about 9 years ago. I definitely attribute it to all of the sun exposure from being at the track when we were kids. We ran around all day at the track in the sun with no shirts. Came back to bite me 20-something years later. Melanoma is nothing to mess around with. Extremely deadly. Mine was caught early - stage 1 - so they took a huge chunk out of my back and that was about it. If it progresses to later stages before being caught you have problems. I wear sun screen all the time now and go to the Dermatologists regularly. Hope Ricky's was caught early. If I recall, Jeff Ward was also diagnosed years ago.

Dogs can develop Ocular Melanoma as well, what I though was a cataract turned out to be Ocular Melanoma in my Giant Schnauzer. $2000+ later he's missing 1 eye now but a year later is doing great. I know there are many dog lovers here (Well not Knox :rolleyes:) so if you see your pets eye starting to get a little cloudy get them checked out.
11134134_10205555207576208_1401864121153663074_o.jpg

Dogs can develop Ocular Melanoma as well, what I though was a cataract turned out to be Ocular Melanoma in my Giant Schnauzer. $2000+ later he's missing 1 eye now but a year later is doing great. I know there are many dog lovers here (Well not Knox :rolleyes:) so if you see your pets eye starting to get a little cloudy get them checked out.
11134134_10205555207576208_1401864121153663074_o.jpg
I love dogs. I have 2. I just leave them at home on race day.
Oh lord, not this again...

Anyone who has been on this forum more than 10 years knows how personal this topic is to me. My brother John, who did the staging for many of the D12 Tracks, lost his battle with Melanoma in 2005. It started as a regular mole that I see in pics of him and I when we were 7 & 9 years old. 1 mole - normal, on the side of his neck.. Fast forward 30 years and the mole grew, but still looked normal. He cut it accidentally shaving and it wouldn't stop bleeding.. Went to the doctor - Stage 4 Melanoma. In one year, he was gone. Early detection may seem silly but a dermatologist visit can save your life...

John was always the calming presence in an otherwise pent-up crowd ....
Awesome man, RIP John ...

Thanks Sharc... I had no idea how people felt about him until after the tribute that JKreps/Pitracer did on here for him.. Several pages of people talking about him and sharing memories. I kept it til his kids got older and they all now have a copy of it.. Hard to believe they are 21, 23, 25, and 27! Crazy how time moves so quickly. I thank god every day for those memories of going to the track together!

John was the best gate keeper in the state. He knew everyone by name and made you feel good lining up. Never seen that guy without a smile.

Back