Practice Vs OMA Racing

I won't say anything negative about any other Ohio tracks, but there are no tracks that come close to the quality of Briarcliff and even as someone who races, I would rather practice there to improve than race at another track that I wouldn't get the same seat time at.
Pretty sure you just made the cats point for him.

I think it's great to have the options of race or practice! The attempts to point out the downside seem like a stretch since the only 2 people impacted here would be the 2 track owners and they seem totally content working together. Some riders chase the races/points, others just like to have some fun and ride, then get some other things done throughout the day. We were thinking either Beans or BC on Sunday, and if we went to BC, we would've popped in at 62 for a bit on the way home. That would just about be the perfect day for the boys, ride n then hang with some friends! As it turns out, one kid was sick, so the other went to Smith Rd and had a great time. Thanks for the options, tracks are looking good everywhere!

I live 15 minutes from 62 but it was nice to have the option to practice for the first time this season for me to go to BC. I'm not in any kind of race shape yet and need some seat time before I go get behind a gate and possibly hurt myself. Jeremy is right, I would of driven farther to practice than to race this weekend, not because I have anything against Lonnie. But it was the smart thing to do for me. Racing has its place and time and practicing has its place and time. I'm not sure if I saw your name in the results section......you did race 62 on Sunday didn't you?????

When I opened 62 I knew exactly what I was getting into. Jeremy, Jason and myself talk all the time. We were actually texting on Sunday when we could do so safely about lap times, track lengths ect. It great to have those two guys available to help improve our facility. If briarcliff closed on Sunday I seriously doubt we would have had more riders.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

It's not Wendy's and McDonald's. It is putting to McDonald's right next door to each other and having a sale on the same day.

I disagree Double D, we have essentially the same types of food, but we do get different customers. Which I think is similar in the real world. I eat wendys but don't go for the micky d flavors, just not my thing (im sure some do like both). Just like Lonnie and I like Roosters, but I'm sure some don't. Everyone is different, and to each his own, and Im not bagging on anyone, but I see a distinctly different rider when 62 is closed. And its awesome that he has created a following. I will be perfectly honest, when he created 62, I was like wtf? 15 minutes away?? However, I have learned that they can coexist, my numbers have remained consistent through the years. I think the options are good for the sport, we need these options to keep the riders excited on riding. Our industry is so small, we need the riders to keep it moving. Thank you to all that understand and continue to support the Route 62, BC and the whole OMA!

I guess I'm missing something! If the two owners that run these two places have no issue with each other being open on the same days....then what the hell are we talking about here? If the guys making the Big Mac and Frosty don't have an issue with being open the same days, why would ANY rider. Make ur choice and go ride. If they had issue with it, then maybe there would be a discussion or thought here.

From my standpoint, we hit 62 on Sat and had a blast...had RedBud not been open for the last practice before our regional....we would have hit Briarcliff...choices...isn't that a good thing?

Lonnie...hope Mitchy was able to help with lap times as well...liked the new layout and the wall jump was nice addition.

Guys...keep doing what your doing. I like to be able to hit Wendy's one day and McDonlad's the next. If you can keep paying your cooks and both be open on the same days...you won't get any grief from Mitchy and I.

Last edited:
I disagree Double D, we have essentially the same types of food, but we do get different customers. Which I think is similar in the real world. I eat wendys but don't go for the micky d flavors, just not my thing (im sure some do like both). Just like Lonnie and I like Roosters, but I'm sure some don't. Everyone is different, and to each his own, and Im not bagging on anyone, but I see a distinctly different rider when 62 is closed. And its awesome that he has created a following. I will be perfectly honest, when he created 62, I was like wtf? 15 minutes away?? However, I have learned that they can coexist, my numbers have remained consistent through the years. I think the options are good for the sport, we need these options to keep the riders excited on riding. Our industry is so small, we need the riders to keep it moving. Thank you to all that understand and continue to support the Route 62, BC and the whole OMA!
I know when we first opened our facility and cliff was open same day I was pist. But now when he closes for weather or any reason I have to prepare for a different group of riders. I'm sure some people don't understand it but we defiantly attract different group of riders. I'm beginning to think some of the negative comments might just be personal? Not one word has been mentioned about Malvern racing Saturday night. In my opinion Malvern drew more away from our race than cliff. But the Oma let the track owners pick their race dates.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

Here is another perspective.
A few years back COCR never had practices open to the public. You could be a non-member and show up on race day and race though.

Earlier on, we wouldn't go to a track to race, if we had concerns about it. And I had concerns about COCR. I had been there to watch their races, but the jumps worried me a bit, not just for me, but for me and my boy.

My point:
Later, COCR began holding open public practice days before their Sunday race days. That helped us. We were able to go there on the Saturday, get familiar with the track and jumps, and then we went back the next day and raced it and had fun.

They still do this today.

This topic is ridiculous:
First off the OMA brought on Rt. 62 and, I am sure some of these conversations on this topic came up when Rt. 62 decided to join (if not, oops). So, crazy cat your thought is that, the OMA's idea was to bring on a track so, they fail...I seriously doubt it. As a matter of fact, I bet this makes Rt. 62 a better track in the long run. Rome wasn't build over night.
Secondly, Briarcliff and all these track owners have bills to pay and the only way to generate revenue is by being open. I doubt that bringing on more tracks was in hopes of decreasing their profits.
Thirdly, whether Lonnie was part of the OMA or not he is going to have to stand on his own two feet and figure out who his customer is, why they come to his track, do they want to race or practice and keep building on what works for him. He has to do this for his survival, as part of the OMA or not.
As mentioned earlier the two track owners seem to be ok with it so, why would anyone argue with that? These are the only two parties that truly have a personal stake in it. Not to mention it gave all of us options.
There are a ton of people who don't race and only practice so, they wouldn't have went to Rt. 62, anyway. So, if Briarcliff didn't open he would have lost a great riding day (ohio weather sucks) and the revenue and all the practicers would have either had to drive further to find a track or sit at home on their bums. Seems like a win, win to me.
I think the OMA is building a great organization and have made significant, positive strides in the short time they have been around. I love the tracks, the prep, the way the keep making improvements on how the race days flow, how they will get on here and defend their position when it is needed, how they have had the balls to bring on more tracks and help these track owners that, are willing to work them, grow. Since my son has got into this mx thing, this is the best that we have seen the mx scene, in our area. Not to mention how we are getting much larger gates and turnouts for the races which seems to be giving all of us better racing and competition.
Lastly, let these owners figure out these small matters. Sometimes, its like people just have to say something when there is nothing that needs to be said. Also, I like the idea of having a place to ride on any given Saturday or Sunday, whether it is to race or practice, my decision. Why would we ever ask for the track owners to limit our options.

Often times I will post my "old guys" initial feeling on a topic and then stew on it for a few hours. I did that last night and at 1am Angry Amy wakes up and asks "what the hell are you doing" (She has a way with words) so I told her, thinking no way she will listen much less care and give me feedback. Turns out I was wrong, and she channeled her inner J.O and says, "Things have changed since you raced" and then went about her normal activities of telling me EXACTLY how wrong I am. Of course this is normally the time I act like I am asleep, but that did not work this time.
So maybe open practice vs. racing is the new norm and maybe they can co-exist. I mean its not a bad thing to have a place open for practice for the new people and even for the select few that want to get more seat time then they get at a normal race. I personally don't get it because I feel the best thing about racing is the feeling you get while setting on the starting gate knowing your about to attack and knowing everyone else setting next to you is thinking the same thing.
Last week I spent a month in Nebraska for work. I was going stir crazy in my hotel so I opened up the old interwebs and found there was a track just a few miles away and they had open practice that evening. I make a quick stop at the local watering hole and make the short trip out to Abbott MX in Lincoln NE. Sure enough there are a hand full of riders turning laps on what looked to be a darn fine track. It was a Wednesday nite "non prepped" session and the dust was flying. After I watched for about an hour I walked back to the pits and talked to a local yokel about the racing seen in the land of corn. As expected he said the number of racers in the state is pretty small and most of the tracks survive solely on open practice. Racing is more of an exception then a rule. This, of course only fueled my inner hated for practice figuring that most racers would say the evil words "why race for 8 laps and pay $35 when they can ride all day for $25." I get that, but I still don't like it. I am a racer at heart and knowing the sport as a whole is made up by a VERY small group of enthusiast, I don't want to see it go by the way side on account of open riding.
So if the owners / promoter are OK with it, and it does not kill racing, then I guess I am OK with it.

Great, now I want a Big Mac and a Frosty. Guess today is a double stop for lunch.

Oh yeah, Lonnie, I did write a review of the track in Nebraska. Its in the track guide. :) And yes, the guys I talked to out there do know about and read pitracer. I did not tell them who I was. I'm not stupid.

LOL!

I also think that open practice is kinda like new brand of rider. It used to be moto, woods, and flat track.....that was the revenue pool for shops and dealerships. Now I think we have a group to help make up for the losses in a few of those areas. The more riders the better, power in numbers, the numbers don't lie....(channeling the Knox). We need to get more people riding, even if its weekend warriors. More riders, mean more potential racers, which means more bike and part sales, happier dealers, happier manufacturers mean they will bring back 2 strokes.....ok the last part is wishful thinking.

I definitely don't wont racing to die, but I would like to see its value rise. I would like to see it really mean something to win an Ohio race. Hopefully the Battle will grow become that.

I disagree Double D, we have essentially the same types of food, but we do get different customers. but I see a distinctly different rider when 62 is closed. And its awesome that he has created a following. Thank you to all that understand and continue to support the Route 62, BC and the whole OMA!

This statement right here. I must agree with DD. If you are seeing a different crowd when 62 is closed dont you think he would have seen a different crowd when you are closed?

This statement right here. I must agree with DD. If you are seeing a different crowd when 62 is closed dont you think he would have seen a different crowd when you are closed?

We are talking practice to practice. I see an altogether different crowd at the races too. I see guys like you.....maybe....unless you been wiring the trailer again......

My trailer wiring days are over! Im on to full on class A toyhaulers now. Give me a call, I can hook you up !!! Lol

I dont see any issue running races against practices , I guess that is what the thread was started about. Im racing instead of practicing when ever I can. However, I must admit I think it was wrong for you to have an open practice on sat the same day RT62 was but not for having practice on Sunday. I honestly believe you took riders from him on Saturday only. I agree also that not all of your riders would go to his track instead. But being you are both in the OMA and especially since it was his first OMA race I think the right thing to do would have been support your new track that is so close to you. He has made drastic track changes that I believe a majority of riders would like to see. It isnt perfect but it is much better.

If you run an open practice on top of TV Land's saturday practice I dont see a problem either, you are 3 hours apart.

I dont think it is the end of the world but I just think it was wrong. No sweat off my back, I got to ride 2 days with my son and we had a great time at the track racing. My opinion is just that, an opinion. Im not going to get all internet psycho, nor should anyone else. Different opinions dont mean people are wrong, mean or vindictive.

I don't think anyone here is being vindictive and I'm not taking it that way. Thanks for your feedback!

I dont think so either, some one mentioned about only picking on you so I just wanted to be certain everyone understood.

See you soon enough, or maybe too soon depending on your perspective !

Hey - what's up with burger joints in the U.S. and gingers?

I'm tellin ya, it's down right Spooky -
Think about it .....Ol' Ronnie is a red and wouldn't ya know it, Wendy is too .......So what about the Burger King? He's always got that cardboard crown covering his mane..... Spooky

burger-king-beer-3.jpg

Thats a reddish brown isnt it?

After 25 years of racing, chasing points...blah blah...I'm over it! I know there are many like me that look at the open practice forum all week to see who's open and have no interest in seeing who's racing. Like Jeremy said, people who don't want to race simply aren't going to. Just because one track isn't open doesn't mean I'm just gonna go race somewhere so I can ride. I think it's awesome that there are so many options whether you want to race or just ride.

Back