Newbie Needing Information/Advise

First post here guys, I've been a lurker for years! So my passion growing up was riding my dirt bike. Always wanted to race but my parents we worried about me getting hurt so i only raced about 10 times growing up. I had my son when i was 20 years old so i sold my bike to focus on him. I tried to get him interested in motocross at a young age but funds and his lack of interest never made it happen. I never quit following the sport and still had friends involved so we went to a few races and he always had fun. So after a divorce and remarrying i have 2 kids of my own and 4 step kids. One of which is an adult and out on his own but the rest are ages 9-17. So my step son showed interest in getting a bike and my son of course being the same age finally agreed as well so i bought a couple 65's and bought myself a 250f to ride with them. My step son had a few minor crashes and wants nothing to do with racing but my son wanted to race so we raced Route 62 indoor series and he finished 3rd overall out of 4 but of course finished last most races unless someone went down. So he is 11 until this June when he turns 12 so he is very far behind but having fun riding and learning and i'm having fun with him. So that is our background but moving forward he wants to race some this summer when we aren't at the baseball field. So my questions are what cards do we actually need to race some OMA races? Do we need an AMA card or just an OMA card? or both? He will probably mainly race his 65 this year but i do have him practicing on his 85 for next year!

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
You will need an OMA card at a minimum. For the Battle Series, any Briarcliff or Chilli Town Event, you will need an AMA as well as the OMA.

day181

PR Elite
Staff member
Welcome to the conversation kochis. The same thing happened to me a few years ago. Bought my son a pw and myself an old yz about 10 years ago. He quit riding soon after but I have been riding ever since.

It sounds like you're on your way. There are hundreds of dads on here. Many have ridden or still ride. This is such a family sport. Welcome to the family.

Welcome to the conversation kochis. The same thing happened to me a few years ago. Bought my son a pw and myself an old yz about 10 years ago. He quit riding soon after but I have been riding ever since.

It sounds like you're on your way. There are hundreds of dads on here. Many have ridden or still ride. This is such a family sport. Welcome to the family.

Thanks! I'm so pumped to be back in the mix. I get tired of seeing kids doing nothing but playing video games or play on wiipods or whatever they call those things! It's all about making memories with my family for me! I still love to ride also so its great! We started last August and have tried to ride as much as possible since there is soooo much to learn. I bought a lot of Gary Semics videos for them to watch also! I also took them to Indy SX this year for there first time!

Crash-N-Burn

PR Member
The sport always welcomes newcomers and fans of the sport. Happy you've joined our madness.
Let me tell you, I was much the same as your son.
I first and only saw motocross racing first hand when I was perhaps 6 or 7 years old at the local fairgrounds. When I was a few years older, a friend from school invited me to his house and I got my first opportunity to ride a four wheeler. I watched him for maybe an hour, his father and he both explained to me the throttle, brakes and other newbie instructions. I took off, went maybe 40 feet and smacked right into the neighbors house. Ouch! I became terrified of anything motorized and continued playing team sports. I would occasionally catch a pro motocross or supercross race on television and became familiar and fascinated by the sport. When I was 12 years old, my father bought a used Suzuki four Wheeler for my sister and I to ride in the back yard. A year later, my best friend got a 1987 Kawasaki KDX80. I got the chance to ride it a few times before he sold it and got a YZ80. He had gone to a track once or twice for open practice, one time of which I went and I was nervous just watching from a far. But, I wanted to be cool and got tired of school sports and my dad got me a KX80 with tax return money in April of 2001. I had just learned to shift with the clutch but had found the power band once if at all before we loaded up with my friend and his father and we went to Scenic Highlands on May 20th 2001. I raced the 80cc Beginner class. I was one of two in the class and we lined up with the 65cc 7-11 class and in a 4 lap race, I was lapped by nearly everyone. The following week at Broken Spokes, I got lapped twice in a 5 lap moto by the top 5 kids in the 80cc 12-15 class as a 14 year old. My dad was ready to sell the bike but I promised him to try harder. A couple races later, I remember celebrating the first time I completed all laps without being lapped as if I had won an amateur national championship!
I was big on the KX80 and I moved up to a YZ125 when I turned 15 in December of 2001.
I made some strides in 2002 in the Schoolboy class but in 2003 I qualified for regionals in the C classes. I was advanced to the B classes for 2004 and though I wasn't always up front, my speed had come leaps and bounds in a short 3 year time period. I graduated high school in 2005 and slowly got out of the sport with the military ahead of me. I had ridden and raced on occasion until 2011 when I started working 60 hours per week and I haven't owned or ridden a motocross bike since. But from that first race on May 20th in 2001, my first true love became and always will be the sport of motocross.
If funds were to ever become available to return to racing, I'd pull double duty: announcing all but the Vet Plus 30 class!

Crash - I said the same thing as you and then all the sudden funds were available and the kids were interested and here we are! I never thought I'd own another bike and right now we have 5.

Double D - we have practiced at 62 a couple times. We want to hit the cliff also and hoping to have my boy race Malvern on May 21st and hit some races this summer just to keep checking progress.

Georgie - Peick is a good story to tell my son. He needs to realize that anything is possible with hard work! He is very competitive and wants to be up front but it's been hard for him to grasp that no one starts at the top they've had to work their tale off to get there!

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

NQ1965

PR Elite
Ditch MX and race hare scrambles, somewhat safer, LESS DRAMA, more seat time and fun fun fun fun.

Ditch the MX,.... too many bodily Injuries,
Ditch Hare Scrambles....too much bike wear and tear (2hr races :(, nasty creek crossings and impossible hill climbs)

Race Grand Prix's, much safer, LESS DRAMA, Perfect amount of seat time, Super Fun competition and it's a blast !
Race Vintage, Post Vintage, Bomber or Decade Class MX...WAY LESS DRAMA, plenty of class's, safer tracks and friendly folks.
:D:D:D

NQ1965

PR Elite
Good point Georgie.
My Dad never supported my riding really, particularly when I was a teenager.
At our Action Sports GP race 2 weeks ago, we had three family generations racing that day, Grandson, My son, and I. And we all had a blast!