RIP #17E Kevin Stone

racer726

PR Member
From Eli Hovorka on facebook....

With misty eyes and a heavy heart I write this status....

Today, the Michigan Vintage Motocross group lost a great rider and an even better friend; Kevin Stone. He had a very hard crash at Portland Trail Riders earlier this morning, and passed due to his injuries.

I cannot say that I knew the man well, or was good friends with him... However, I can say that just in the handful of times I've talked with him, he was one of the most genuine and knowledgeable people on the track. He was quick to offer advice and even a helping hand if needed. I do, in a way, regret not taking the time to get to know him better and learn from his experiences as a motocross rider.

This possible outcome is something we all accept whenever we climb onto a bike and pull up to the gate. We are well aware that that race, that final "Good Luck' said to the riders at your side, could be the last.

Some would say it's a case of insanity.... I view it as a passion. A lifestyle. Even a form of self-expression. There is no better way to truly live in the moment. All of the worries and stresses you had are gone in an instant and you are focused solely on riding as fast, hard, and safely as possible. We don't do it to add days to our lives, we do it to add life to our days.

In the relatively short time I've been racing Vintage MX, I've learned -if nothing else- that the best people and best friends you ever meet will be at the track. Everybody keeps an eye on each other and is more than happy to lend a helping hand. To me, it's that camaraderie that makes all the risks and injuries worth it...

Ride in Paradise, 17E. Keep the tracks well rutted until the rest of us arrive.

Back