Glen Helen Track

John250

PR Founding Father
who liked the Glen Helen track? I did not watch all the motos but from what I saw I did not like.

This is outdoor motocross. Why the hell they need 1/3 of the track with a rhythm section that rivals a SX track? And then they had some split lane crap?

Glen Helen is a great track that is true outdoor motocross. Don't go screwing it up making 1/3 of it into a Supercross track.

Maybe some of the guys that have rode there can chime in with an opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using PitRacer mobile app

Last edited:
Don't forget the alligators.

However that rhythm was a neutralizer. Couple times someone messed up in that gauntlet they really lost some major time on their competition.

And stank dog was sending it on the 125 over the big one. And I thought that little triple at Malvern on my 144 was borderline crazy. I digress now.

Not a fan of the big jumps either. Also, I just thought the track had no flow to it. Seemed like every time you would get into a pace, you are coming up to a weird section that throws you off rhythm. I just thought it was weird.

Nearly every rider interview contained the word "Sketchy" This is a nice way of saying dangerous. If they say anything bad then I am sure they will hear about it... So I will say it.
That track was stupid. The place has all the natural terrain that you could ever want for moto and they made it into a supercross.
Seen a few Instrgram posts from riders that hated it. But that doesn't matter, its all about the Evil Knievel fans that was to see them crash and burn.
I want to see Southwick's 240 foot sand quad. With torches and pitch forks in between.
Mt. Morris is building a steel ramp and will require everyone to do backflips each lap.
Red Bud is knocking down the leap cause it is too easy.

I did not put stupid in my post. But that is what I said to my son when I saw it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using PitRacer mobile app

Track was ridiculous. From a spectator's view that is not a avid rider it is great, but people who ride understand the risks. I personally liked the rhythm section as it threw off a lot of guys and made for some close racing, which is great! Unfortunately the large jump and extreme speeds coming downhill with all the braking bumps are an accident waiting to happen. Regardless of how good these guys are, accidents are going to happen. From the sounds of it a lot of the guys didn't so much have a problem with the obstacles, but more so with the state of the track especially later in the day. If you expect these guys to huck a 180 foot jump then the conditions for takeoff and landing need to be perfect. I for one like the track to be roughed up and untouched but obstacles like this leave no margin for error. Either prep the track before each moto or stuff like this needs to be removed. Sadly nothing will change until the riders sack up and come together over refusing to ride unless the track is fixed. These guys seem to be gods on the bikes, but timid children when standing up for what is best for everyone.

These guys seem to be gods on the bikes, but timid children when standing up for what is best for everyone.

Excellent observation. At what point do these guys start having a say in these things? Some of these jumps are just out of hand and I'm afraid it's going to take a tragedy for anything to change.

You have big names with contracts that pretty much have to ride to fulfill their contracts. Then you have the new kids that are just happy to be there and would ride no matter the track conditions. The only way a change will happen is if the team owners do something about it. They are to ones writing the checks and make no mistake, that is all that matters.
If only we had an organization that's sole purpose was to promote the lifestyle and protect the future of MOTOCROSS... if only

Trey Canard spoke his mind pretty well after the race:
http://racerxonline.com/2016/05/31/open-mic-glen-helen

I was okay with it, I wanted to be on the podium, but this track was so dangerous I’m just happy to be out of here healthy.

What do you mean by dangerous?
It was, I mean, some of the obstacles were ridiculous. I don’t know what these guys were thinking, honestly. That’s my personal opinion and other people might feel differently. But I think it was pretty unacceptable.

What obstacles in specific are you talking about?
There was that big triple in the back and it claimed a couple people. It’s not that we can’t do it, we can do it easily actually. But for doing it in a group for thirty minutes, there’s chuckholes, the margin for error is just too small. There’s no escape. I’m all for big jumps, but you’re doing almost 70 mph and there’s no escape. It’s not good. That whole up front section, I didn’t think that was good either.

How does something like that triple you were talking about differ from say, LaRocco’s Leap, or that big Fly 150 at Hangtown last week?
Here’s the difference. With those jumps, all the way up to the run you’re on the gas. You start at the bottom and you’re building speed. With this triple, you start from one end [of the track] and you go to the other, and you’re doing 65 or 70 mph. Your brain can’t think that fast if you have to pull out if something needs to happen. With LaRocco’s Leap, you have a lot of time if you need to abort. There’s a big downside and it’s fairly safe, where this, it’s not good.

The track looked insane. One big jump is cool, but the sections gh gad where crazy. What happened to motocross? Tracks don't need to have massive jumps named "widow maker" this is all for media. People see kids jumping 150' doubles and think "if they can do that, pros should do 200' every. Damn. Lap." It's stupid. It's unsafe. It's how the "new school" kids are being taught to go fast. Kenworthys had one big jump. If every track had a pro section it'd be cool kind of like how steel city's was.
They need to keep these riders safe. Some guys don't mind hitting big jumps. But let's face it, it's an aquired taste. These guys have their paychecks on the line. They will do just about anything the promoters put in the layout.
Sucks for the guys that do have natural talent and have a hard time hitting those massive hits. It's not a distance contest. It's a motocross race.
For future reference, every track should be incorporating steel ramps in a triple, triple, quad section. Makes no sense.

Jody Weisel has no respect for today's rider. His whole goal is to show Glen Helen is the most demanding track on the circuit. This way he can make fun of all the other tracks and riders of being sissies. To him Glen Helen is the motocross standard. Anything outside of Southern California is a wannabe. MXSports should do something about it, but they are probably afraid of Jody and MXA calling them out.

Jody Weisel has no respect for today's rider. His whole goal is to show Glen Helen is the most demanding track on the circuit. This way he can make fun of all the other tracks and riders of being sissies. To him Glen Helen is the motocross standard. Anything outside of Southern California is a wannabe. MXSports should do something about it, but they are probably afraid of Jody and MXA calling them out.
More please.

Just got off the phone with Hershey's employees. They're all gonna have a sit in strike on Friday now. You're welcome ! Have fun paying them more.

Back