e-score vs manual

ck1racerx

PR Addict
For the tracks that have used e-scoring, have you had any problems with the system? On average, how many times per event do you have to verify (because of a problem) the computer with the manual scorers?
Are we close to the point where e-score will be replacing the manual system? I love the scoring girls but I would also like to save that money for the promoters. You know, the whole ROI thing.
I have seen too many pretty girls held up in scoring towers. Leave the scoring to the computer and bring the girls down where we can see them :rolleyes:

I don't want to pay 50 to race pet class every race though. If we all bought transponders, what would be our cost to race?

Sent from my SM-G900V using PitRacer mobile app

Normally, you can count on 2-3 issues with the transponders. With transponders, there is STILL someone counting beeps.. That is what they do in the eScore trailer, so even if the track purchased a system, you would still need a person to count beeps and at least 1 to do manually scoring. You will ALWAYS have to have at least one person scoring.. So there really isn't much saving there.. Also, the Transponders cost $1000 plus just to come to event, so you have that additional cost. I like the transponders for lap times, but they are in no way a $ saver. Every National, Arenacross etc that uses transponders, has at least one scorekeeper. Even the MY LAPS guru himself, John Daines would NEVER have a race where they didn't have backup scoring.
The introduction of Technology to MX (Transponders, Kiosks) is about convenience (Kiosks) and a possible added feature (Lap Timing) for our customers. It doesn't SAVE money.

Connie

Right. I was thinking same thing. That's a risk already. If track doesn't get a turnout that $1000 bill HURTS.

Thanks Connie. Have you heard anything about the RFID tags? I read something a month or so back that said they are over 99.9% accurate at high speed events like Karting and Dirt sprints and Late Models. And I know that system (from a riders standpoint) is less then $2 for a new "sticker"
I am sure over time the price is drop dramatically like with all technology.

someone on here was talking about how well RFID worked. surprised no one has tried it, since it is so much cheaper.

I have heard good things about the tags, you have to test them because if on a chrome helmet my not work. Maybe Western Reserve was using them, not sure if that's who was. Biggest drawback is the initial cost to the track for the system. Last I looked it was around $4000.

Right now the tags don't play well with trackside, and trackside does a lot of good for our program. We basically have to recreate the whole event in trackside while the tag system runs the event side by side, its not an efficient use of time.

If it weren't for the rentals, meaning if everyone had them, I would run the transponder scoring system. But I don't want the headache of rentals, plus I think rental cost will add up and turn people off, like John mentioned.

And yes Western does use it.

it's really not buying them that is the big deal. don't you have to pay something like 189 a year for a subscription on top of the transponder purchase for it to work?

Ignition mapping, fuel injection, air forks, electric start but we can't get a damn transponder as standard equipment on a new bike. Poppycock.

don't you have to pay something like 189 a year for a subscription on top of the transponder purchase for it to work?

It's cheaper the longer you buy subcription for:

1 year $58.88
2 years $98.13
5 years $196.26

Current pricing to PURCHASE a transponder along with a subscription is:
1 year $103.74
2 years $142.99
5 years $241.12

http://www.mylaps.com/en

I have owned my transponder for three years I think and I purchased it with a two year subscription. I just renewed with a 5 year subscription last year. I will use it at least 7 times this year now that some local events are using it.

So I basically have paid approximately $340 and will use it for 7 years.

John you could probably purchase ONE and share it between you and your son. I'm almost positive Zman used to do that with Mitchy before he stopped riding and just focused on Mitch.

That's an idea. Light speed makes this for quick swaps between bikes:

image.jpeg

No fumbling with zip ties if your motos are close...

Back