Mx Training and Progression

whitcraft

PR Member
Hey Everyone!

Summer is here and I hope riders of all ages are ready to get a strong share of seat time in. If y’all wouldn’t mind and be patient to read this post I would greatly appreciate it. I know the topic and number of riding coaches and schools are popping up everywhere. I’m here to get some open opinions on the topic and inform riders and his or her families about future training opportunities with Levi Kilbarger and myself.

My name is Chris Whitcraft and I am a riding coach, who used to race professional mx and sx. I have multiple national numbers and top-twenty finishes at the elite pro-level. I attended Loretta Lynn’s Amateur National Championships many years with 3 runner-up overall finishes. Levi Kilbarger has a very similar resume as mine backed with lots of experience.

Back to the point. Levi and I will be putting on riding/ training schools on numerous weekends the rest of this year. Some training schools/ camps will be one day some will be two-day camps. These schools will take place in Logan, Ohio on a rough track and some at the former Wild Wilderness Raceway (The track will not be open for open practice). We will also be holding a few schools at local tracks. I wanted to get people’s opinion of interest in these schools. They will be for riders of all levels and bike sizes. Spots would be limited. We want to make sure we do not get too many riders per instructor to help with individualization on the rider’s techniques. The price for a one-day school would be $200 per rider. A two-day school would be $300. We will follows our own beliefs on how to put on the schools covering starts, cornering, jumps. Etc. but open criticism is welcome. Feel free to contact Levi or me. Chris Whitcraft (614) 477-3188 chriswhitcraft@yahoo.com Levi Kilbarger (740) 974-5154 levik412@yahoo.com . We also train small groups and individuals one on one.

I have not posted up a lot about my coaching and training because I have spent the past few years working with riders to develop a style of teaching that is effective before biting off more than I can chew. Levi and I have personally been a part of a number of riders’ programs, which helped them reach their goals, whether it was just to improve technique or racing goals of making it to Loretta Lynn’s Amateur National Championships.

When I have more definitive dates I will post them but before the flyers are made feel free to contact me because the training opportunities may become available every weekend. Potentially starting this weekend. 6/18 if the there are enough interests. Thank you for your time.

hershey

PR Elite
You have done a great job with Mitchy, that should speak for itself.

Are you offering 50cc riders instruction?

Hey Everyone!

Summer is here and I hope riders of all ages are ready to get a strong share of seat time in. If y’all wouldn’t mind and be patient to read this post I would greatly appreciate it. I know the topic and number of riding coaches and schools are popping up everywhere. I’m here to get some open opinions on the topic and inform riders and his or her families about future training opportunities with Levi Kilbarger and myself.

My name is Chris Whitcraft and I am a riding coach, who used to race professional mx and sx. I have multiple national numbers and top-twenty finishes at the elite pro-level. I attended Loretta Lynn’s Amateur National Championships many years with 3 runner-up overall finishes. Levi Kilbarger has a very similar resume as mine backed with lots of experience.

Back to the point. Levi and I will be putting on riding/ training schools on numerous weekends the rest of this year. Some training schools/ camps will be one day some will be two-day camps. These schools will take place in Logan, Ohio on a rough track and some at the former Wild Wilderness Raceway (The track will not be open for open practice). We will also be holding a few schools at local tracks. I wanted to get people’s opinion of interest in these schools. They will be for riders of all levels and bike sizes. Spots would be limited. We want to make sure we do not get too many riders per instructor to help with individualization on the rider’s techniques. The price for a one-day school would be $200 per rider. A two-day school would be $300. We will follows our own beliefs on how to put on the schools covering starts, cornering, jumps. Etc. but open criticism is welcome. Feel free to contact Levi or me. Chris Whitcraft (614) 477-3188 chriswhitcraft@yahoo.com Levi Kilbarger (740) 974-5154 levik412@yahoo.com . We also train small groups and individuals one on one.

I have not posted up a lot about my coaching and training because I have spent the past few years working with riders to develop a style of teaching that is effective before biting off more than I can chew. Levi and I have personally been a part of a number of riders’ programs, which helped them reach their goals, whether it was just to improve technique or racing goals of making it to Loretta Lynn’s Amateur National Championships.

When I have more definitive dates I will post them but before the flyers are made feel free to contact me because the training opportunities may become available every weekend. Potentially starting this weekend. 6/18 if the there are enough interests. Thank you for your time.
Chris I look forward to another great riding camp! See you soon

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

whitcraft

PR Member
Hey everyone, So I have received a decent amount of interests and questions on the training. The first training day will be this coming saturday the 6/18. I know it is short notice and I apologize for that. This first single day of training will be $150 per rider at the old Wild Wilderness track located in Logan, Oh. We will need a minimum of 8 riders but will only take a maximum of 20. Contact Levi Kilbarger (740) 974-5154 levik412@yahoo.com or myself Chris Whitcraft (614) 477-3188 chriswhitcraft@yahoo.com to reserve a spot.

To answer a few questions I've encountered. We do work with 50 riders. We just would like the kids to have a little riding experience (not literally just learning how to ride). The format of the schools are along the lines of this….. Riders will be divided into two groups based on bike size/skill level. Drills will be performed on sections of the track where the instructors will work with riders to develop their technique and try to improve said techniques the section focuses on: turns, jumps, starts, etc. We do not just spin wheels there will be pauses to help explain what the issues at hand are and how to fix them. The groups will cycle through instructors and sections almost in a round robin format with breaks in between. like I said any questions just ask.

The idea we have for this style of camps is to offer regular training convenient/ when affordable for people. Also so that as we get "regulars" those ride and get into further depths of skill levels and techniques because to be effective you need to constantly build from the ground up…. like the old saying you need to crawl before you can walk…. there are building blocks in techniques to be able to accomplish the end result. Thanks for everybody's interest.

Last edited:

whitcraft

PR Member
Lonnie, we too look forward to the School to be performed at Route 62. We will probably have Jeff Gibson in attendance. We are just working on dates.

Zman

PR Addict
We just wanted to get a shout out to Chris Whitcraft. Mitchy just completed regionals for LL and he is making a trip back in two 65cc classes this year. Chris has been an integral part in Mitchy's progression. Chris helped Mitchy build a foundation of safety and solid techniques. Mitchy has passed our expectations. Motocross is still a big part of Chris' life even while attaining an advanced college degree.

For those that don't know Chris, he is right in our back yard here in Ohio, near Columbus. His resume is impressive including: a podium finish in the 450 Pro Sport class at LL, numerous trips to LL from the 50cc classes to the 450cc classes, and several top 20 finishes in Pro-Nationals.

If you are looking for a professional coach, he can help teach a solid motocross foundation while building a positive attitude that will work with any situation in life. He is like a big brother to the kids, and gets results.

We can't thank Chris enough as we move on. He is in flexible with schedules, does individual training, group training to offer many options to fit schedules. Check him out on FB, email:chriswhitcraft@yahoo.com, or text or call him at 614-477-3188. Chris has summer camps coming and personal training on demand.

Here he calls the plays, proper line choices...etc., with Mitchy in staging at Chillitown a few months back at the LL Area Qualfier...

XChris.jpg

mshafer62

PR Addict
I've taken some lessons from Chris Whitcraft and would like to share my experience.

Like many others on here, I raced when I was younger. After 20+ years off, I returned to riding motocross in 2006. Yes, I could still do a wheelie, but the tracks, the obstacles, the bikes and the form required to ride them had changed dramatically. Outside instruction was immediately apparent after an unsuccessful attempt to clear a rhythm section at an indoor track.

Friends provided a few names and I attended a couple schools but Chris and I just hit it off. Looking back, he kept me focused. I wanted to clear a bigger jump, he wanted to make sure I had good body position and a strong riding style. At some point we've all asked someone, "how did you do that?" and the common reply is "Oh, I just gassed it." You won't hear that from Chris. His strong point is his ability to communicate what he wants you to do and why he wants you to do it. "Ride on the balls of your feet, knees in line with your shock, get your butt back and elbows up (see Chris, I do listen!)."

My form still needs work (old habits die hard) which is why I go back to Chris when time allows. The bottom line is I would highly recommend his schools or individual lessons. It's money well spent. Whether you ride a 50/65cc, are 50+yrs old or somewhere in between. I believe his riding instructions will help you gain confidence to compete at your desired level or just ride better. My son doesn't ride, but if he did I'd consider doing a class together for some father/son time. In addition to Chris, Levi Killbarger and Jeff Gibson (at times) are also instructing. All 3 have real life amateur and professional racing experience to share.

Zman

PR Addict
I've taken some lessons from Chris Whitcraft and would like to share my experience.

Like many others on here, I raced when I was younger. After 20+ years off, I returned to riding motocross in 2006. Yes, I could still do a wheelie, but the tracks, the obstacles, the bikes and the form required to ride them had changed dramatically. Outside instruction was immediately apparent after an unsuccessful attempt to clear a rhythm section at an indoor track.

Friends provided a few names and I attended a couple schools but Chris and I just hit it off. Looking back, he kept me focused. I wanted to clear a bigger jump, he wanted to make sure I had good body position and a strong riding style. At some point we've all asked someone, "how did you do that?" and the common reply is "Oh, I just gassed it." You won't hear that from Chris. His strong point is his ability to communicate what he wants you to do and why he wants you to do it. "Ride on the balls of your feet, knees in line with your shock, get your butt back and elbows up (see Chris, I do listen!)."

My form still needs work (old habits die hard) which is why I go back to Chris when time allows. The bottom line is I would highly recommend his schools or individual lessons. It's money well spent. Whether you ride a 50/65cc, are 50+yrs old or somewhere in between. I believe his riding instructions will help you gain confidence to compete at your desired level or just ride better. My son doesn't ride, but if he did I'd consider doing a class together for some father/son time. In addition to Chris, Levi Killbarger and Jeff Gibson (at times) are also instructing. All 3 have real life amateur and professional racing experience to share.

I hear ya on form and body position mjshafer. His desire to make it picture perfect in the name of keeping his riders as safe as he can is what drives it. Below does not just come with seat time, heart, and desire...It comes with all of that and a guy like Chris breaking it down, his knowledge, his desire to make anyone he is working with better, and the confidence he exhales. I say this after 2+ years of letting him work with Mitchy. He communicates like no other no matter the age and will look at what each rider needs....Mitchy has worked hard, partially because of his desire to be the best he can and the love of the sport, but a large part is for Chris...a day don't go by when we talk MX and he asks what I think Chris would say...The good news is Chris calls and texts him weekly, whether training or not, to discuss eating, training, riding, and building his confidence.

As a dad, I couldn't ask for a better trainer, but more importantly a friend...I have learned a ton, more than he knows, and at times...usually regional weeks, Chris has to work more with me than Mitchy. Those that know me from my racing days know exactly what I am talking about with that last statement. Bottom line, it is not about me here...it is about teaching Mitchy MX, but more importantly life lessons that will carry him outside of MX. Guy is beyond his years in what he teaches these boys about perseverance, never give up, fight for it...etc. Truly a class act and a wealth of knowledge and desire for this sport.

I saw a post back as to why Ohio riders are falling behind...well..Maley, Adams (Ohio PA border), and others are all representing well. Chris' instruction with others besides Mitchy, in a very competitive super mini and sr mini classes, have propelled them also. They can attest themselves but I truly enjoy the group of kids we have training with us in our groups....all are elevated yet great friends...kind of like Kilbarger, Whitcraft, and Gibson did growing up and pushing each other to the pro ranks....to have these guys available is incredible...tap into it.

Photo Credit DiffySmooth..
mitchy lean.jpg