So you want to get rich owning a motocross track

Making the money

BigDeal is big stuff and will draw good numbers.

• 4 MX races per year and will have 400 race entries per race and a $35.00 entry fee per race = $56,000 per year in MX race entry fees
  • 2 GP races per year and will have 250 race entries per race and a $30.00 entry fee per race = $15,000 per year in GP race entry fees
  • 15 practice weekends will draw 300 racers per day and a $25.00 per day practice fee with no gate fee = $225,000 per year in practice fees
  • Gate for races is $15.00 per day (remember this is Bigdeal MX) and on average there are 2 gates per race entry = $51,000 per year in gate fees
  • Concessions per year 9000 transactions at $7.00 per transaction - we have a prime concession stand = $60,000 in concessions
  • T-Shirts and merchandise - 1000 t shirts at $8 per shirt = $8000.000

BigDeal MX revenue is about $425,000 per year.

How much profit?
  • The top line is our operating revenue.
  • The first set of expenses are our costs to earn the revenue (like fuel, EMT, food, water, etc). Bigdeal is well run and has a healthy 65% margin.
  • Our gross profit
  • Then indirect expenses
  • Which leaves the before and after tax money we have to pay us or to make improvements
Capture.JPG

Here it is - about $60,000 after taxes. $30.00 per hour if we spend 2000 hours a year on our business.

I am sure this is not accurate and I am way off, but makes the case that our track owners are running the tracks because it is a passion, and not a get rich quick scheme.

Thank you to all the track owners - I appreciate all you do to keep motocross available to us in Ohio.

Last edited:
Then their is zoning, neighbors and EPA to deal with, Then every person you ever knew will want to ride for free.
5db982a1a17eb95bc72d22322d834c18.jpg
the best is when riders roll thru the gates in a $60,000 truck, $15,000 trailer, 2 practice bike, 2 race bikes that cost around $20,000 but say can I ride free today because they don't have the practice fee of $20.00.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

5db982a1a17eb95bc72d22322d834c18.jpg
the best is when riders roll thru the gates in a $60,000 truck, $15,000 trailer, 2 practice bike, 2 race bikes that cost around $20,000 but say can I ride free today because they don't have the practice fee of $20.00.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app
Isn't that the truth. Or they bitch because something is $5 more but they spend $300 on graphics, $100 on radiator hose, $200 on levers.......But can't afford to race.

Sent from my SM-G900V using PitRacer mobile app

"Look, I spent $8,000 om my bike, $200 on graphics, $600 on suspension, and $1,000 on my exhaust." (Professional C class rider or B rider who might as well be in C) "I can't afford to ride anymore, everyone raised prices to $25. That track better be perfect. I expect you to follow me on the track with a chisel plow, dozer, and water truck at minimum. I want to get my money's worth" oh and if you do sessions, expect these guys to bitch. I only got three 20 minute sessions. Of which most of these people can only ride about 4 laps at a time, meaning that 20 minutes is typically cut in half because of vagitosis. I know this is a condition not to be taken lightly... but put on your big boy pants with your factory ride, go out there, and ride. It's actually pretty simple.

Every "new kid" thinks "if you ain't scrubbing and whipping off every jump, ain't no way you Goin fast." My personal favorite is the hardcore guys that turn the bars in the air with a half ass butt whip scrub and thinks it makes them faster.
That being said, I looked like that at one point. However, I personally think in the past 5 years the quality of rider has gone down drastically.
My advice, quit trying to whip/scrub and work on corner speed, entrance is key. I'm not a perfect specimen. If I find a good jump I'll work on my whip game. If I were racing, it's corners and breaking.
Oh, and of course, mixing gas and hauling ass.

I used to think if I was throwing bigger whips I would be faster. Then I'd get my ass handed to me by some dude like was elbows down, knees out. Hardcore goon status. Pull off the track like wtf? How did he beat me? Corners son... corners.

Mike, on a long flight crunching the numbers. Answer by midnight.

Bigdeal MX is going to be HUuuuuuuuge.

Found 63 amazing acres with natural elevation changes and prime soil. Seller accepted $5200 an acre so less than the average land price in Ohio of $6000 per acre. It only cost us $327,000 to buy the land.

We will add 2 GPs to our race schedule.

Thanks to a great GoFundMe campaign we raised $100,000 to get us started.

63 acres for all those tracks and a GP, parking included? If we are going to make money at this you had better not pack riders in like sardines in a can and hope the neighbor is selling property too.

I think your estimate is way off, no way we're holding 4 races topping 400 riders.

Key person# 3-? An understanding wife and kids that know you will get home from job 1 and begin said job till dark.
Key persons 4-? Reliable peeps to help mow, weedeat, trash collection, prep track, flag, stage, score, work entrance, hang banners lotsa banners, pennants, extra equipment on hand for when number ones break, lotsa beer.

Your key person #3 will be understanding because key person #1 and #2 wont be working more than 40 hours a week. Their job is to be sure systems are in place to ensure all the key employees(#4) are in place to make the events run smooth. You see, the typical MX track doesnt employ these systems and run most of the jobs and employees themselves. Its a system for only one thing, self destruction.

Now the beer ......

My personal favorite is the hardcore guys that turn the bars in the air with a half ass butt whip scrub and thinks it makes them faster.

Nah, we don't think it makes us faster. We're just styling it for the sake of nostalgia.
We know we don't have it anymore, but let us keep thinking we do. :D:D:D

Not to get off the whole younger, scrubbing, self entitled crowd(not true of all of them, some really great ones out there) but do you know what you are going to have after 30+ years of busting your butt off on BigDeal? Some guy named Weasel complaining about your track and your efforts since the founder(hopefully not you) passed away right before you have a race. If it says it on the internet it must be true right? Weasel I need an honest answer on this - have you been back to DC since the race where you think you got screwed out of $150 in contingency money? I am going to guess not. You did say "maybe it has changed" and I like that so go back and give it a try. I am no expert but in the last 2 years I have been there they do a great job on prep plus it is just a cool place. I just don't think negative towards any track without making sure you know the facts is good for any of us. If you have not been there for 2 years please just don't say anything.

Last edited:
I like all of the positives I'm reading on here about it! Never been but think I'm going to have to go next time. If it's good enough for the moto bros it's good enough for me

I'm a lazy ass taxi driver who only rides kids trail bikes on pit bike tracks these days..... and I didn't mention that I don't like to wake up before noon.... BUT!!! If I WERE going to try and get rich doing an MX track-- I'd do it right! I'd give the riders what they want!

Forget BUILDING a track-- that's too much work and expense. I'd look for a steal on an EXISTING setup!!

Then-- I'd put a strip bar with gambling (VIP Lounge) right in the center of it... with ADULT entertainment within. You know-- to add to the bottom line profits, to keep the riders happy, and to coax the powers that be to have a national there? Also-- if the strip bar and adult entertainment are up to snuff, it might generate income during the winter months too.

I'd have the bouncer from the VIP Lounge intimidate and/or bounce any riders that complained about the track in person, or on social media.

Practice? Phew! Everybody just runs at once with the admonishment-- "Watch out for slower riders, or we'll send the bouncer out after you!"....

Race days? No more than 8 classes, two motos, then an open track til dark. Shooting range and pit bike track open to pass the time between motos. Live band and party after....

If there are complaints from the neighbors? Send the strippers out. If that won't work-- send the bouncer!

Well.... There ya have it. It prolly wouldn't be in biz long before the Feds swooped in, but it'd prolly work as well or better than the other business models above, and generate more income too? Works in the taxi biz! --L*64

I'm a lazy ass taxi driver who only rides kids trail bikes on pit bike tracks these days..... and I didn't mention that I don't like to wake up before noon.... BUT!!! If I WERE going to try and get rich doing an MX track-- I'd do it right! I'd give the riders what they want!

Forget BUILDING a track-- that's too much work and expense. I'd look for a steal on an EXISTING setup!!

Then-- I'd put a strip bar with gambling (VIP Lounge) right in the center of it... with ADULT entertainment within. You know-- to add to the bottom line profits, to keep the riders happy, and to coax the powers that be to have a national there? Also-- if the strip bar and adult entertainment are up to snuff, it might generate income during the winter months too.

I'd have the bouncer from the VIP Lounge intimidate and/or bounce any riders that complained about the track in person, or on social media.

Practice? Phew! Everybody just runs at once with the admonishment-- "Watch out for slower riders, or we'll send the bouncer out after you!"....

Race days? No more than 8 classes, two motos, then an open track til dark. Shooting range and pit bike track open to pass the time between motos. Live band and party after....

If there are complaints from the neighbors? Send the strippers out. If that won't work-- send the bouncer!

Well.... There ya have it. It prolly wouldn't be in biz long before the Feds swooped in, but it'd prolly work as well or better than the other business models above, and generate more income too? Works in the taxi biz! --L*64
you were one "I love you man" from a complete mid-day drunk guy rant.

That guy over in the corners got the next round....

Haha! Have the strippers do the flagging in the corners too! I think Meadowlarks already HAS a clubhouse with a bar in it....? --L*64

Back