Brand new 2016 kx450f won't run!!

i want to see if any of you have input on how I should go about this. I bought a brand new 2016 Kawasaki 450 from the dealer last week. I did the factory break in procedure on it and just changed the oil. The bike has about an hour on it. I went to ride it the other day, it started up fine and ran for about 5 minutes. I went to go around my yard and it died. I kicked it, it started then immediately dies again. After that it didn't matter how much I kicked it, it wouldn't start. I checked spark and it seemed week and only sparked about every other 5 kicks. I took it back to the dealer and they think it jumped timing. So now I'm trying to fight to get this thing paid for by the dealer or Kawasaki so I don't get stuck with a bunch of service fees on a bike that's an hour old. I think Kawi will help out though. Any input would be great.

Last edited:
A lot of people have had similar problems on here and had to deal with the factory. My opinion would be that the dealer should fix it, and then THEY can deal with Kawasaki, not you. They probably won't release the bike until the bill is paid.
Personally I'd checked everything first before I sent it back to the shop though. Sounds like a lot of things but not timing. Timing would have effected it right away in running, not let it run, then die, then start then die. Air, spark, and fuel! Not getting one of those, it's that simple.

Did you purchase your KX from a local dealership? Is that where you buy your parts and accessories from? I find it hard to believe a place where you do business regularly won't try to make things right.

Did you purchase your KX from a local dealership? Is that where you buy your parts and accessories from? I find it hard to believe a place where you do business regularly won't try to make things right.

They will probably point the finger at Kawasaki.

I would delete this thread, and stop talking about you changing the oil. You put an hour on the bike and now it won't run.

Ended up being a bad coil. But the bike was also out a .004 on the intake valves with only an hour on it. I'm assuming I'll be checking them again soon. Kawasaki did end up paying for the service on the bike. This bike seems to pop and backfire a lot during deceleration. From what I've heard it seems to be common with this bike, it's just very annoying. It also sputters a bit if I hold the throttle at about half throttle (free-revving). Which means while doing a gate drop it kinda sputters every few seconds. Any input?

Back