CTMX wrap up

Chilli Town MX

PR Addict
This is the post event wrap up from the promoter. Overall a good weekend for all of us. The numbers (campers, attendance and entries) were down slightly from 2016, that's somewhat alarming to me. In years past the Battle race has been our largest race of the year. Looks like the Halloween round has a chance to beat it.
As a team, we at CTMX strive for perfection, as the promoter I can't stand(more than anyone else) to see any hiccups during our events. Having said that, now we can review a couple problems I saw this over the past weekend.
Pre registration: AMA, my wife goes into more details on another thread, but basically our online preregistration wouldn't allow AMA numbers to be validated because AMA has a new system and it was broke. They also issued several thousand cards that could not be verified easily. I was hoping someone from the AMA would step up and go to bat for us.
Dust: that was about the worst I've ever saw it. During the second Moto, I went to staging and introduced myself to some of the pro class, I told them I wanted to a quick track prep before their last Moto. Every single person said no, some even got pissy about me asking. So at that point our maintence crew had a meeting and determined with the remaining motos and time it would add to the day, we would roll with it. Looking back now, I should have made two intermissions during the middle of each Moto. This would have upset certain groups due to mud before their class or time the program finished. We end up finishing at 5:23, one more track prep woulda pushed us back to 6:23. Acceptable, you tell me.
Someone on another post said the speaker was buzzing near him towards the end of the day. Just tell someone with a staff shirt on. We have radios, someone woulda fixed it immediately. We always have teams in place to fix problems.
On the surface those were our two biggest obstacles. We worked through several other issues, getting them under control before they got outta hand.
On to the good:
What an awesome pro race. Probably the best one we've ever had.
And the National Anthem into some Kick start my heart!
Or the fact our in house security squashed the pit riding.
Saturday evening activities, Moto limbo and barrel racing were spectator packed.
Start gates and start stretch was primo.
No major injuries, only a few transports. No birds to date.
Our whole team executed very efficiently. We processed a whole lot of entries over the past weekend. I think overall it was a fun and SAFE weekend.
I will admit, I'm glad this round is in the books. It takes several thousand hours from many, many people to execute a race weekend. It's a big relief when she's all done.
I want to first thank all of the CTMX team, it was two long hot ass days.
I want to thank our sponsors. The pro class was made possible by Herrnstein Kia, Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler. Look them up for your next purchase, near or far.
Lastly, thanks to the riders, families and spectators. Over the years you've paved the way so we can continually improve our facility along with the program. We have families that have never missed one of our races. Thank you so much.
Until next time, I'm dropping the mic,
Jeremy
CTMX

Last edited:

john lilly

PR Addict
Thanks for putting on a great event and everything that goes along with it. I know it has to be a ton of work and I would say that it shows in your end product. Keep it up and we hope to see you guys in October. Also, tell Kforcum thanks for her explanation on the preregistration it makes sense why it took a little bit longer to process everything. :)

BTW, was there a band?

740DirtJunkie

PR Member
@john lilly there was definitely a band. One of their members was ill so the lead singer had to drum and sing...it was unfortunate for them and affected their performance. I am going to push more to the bands that they need to play longer sets with less breaks for sure...thats something i noticed Saturday. I apologize for any complaints about the entertainment and I will take responsibility.

On the other side of it, we are always looking at improving our entertainment at CTMX...if you have any suggestions please let me know!

JB19

PR Member
At Loretta's they add a shot of water here and there while the track is still tacked up to make it last longer. Not drench it, just small shots every couple motos.....instead of waiting for it to get blown out and then stop to do full track prep.

I'm sure other places to do this as well. The crew at Mid Ohio vintage was doing something like this. I think they were from Log Road MX.

Chilli Town MX

PR Addict
I honestly think that is something to consider. We had plenty of moisture everywhere we were able to cultivate. The spots we couldn't get to with the tractor is what became dusty.

John250

PR Founding Father
Washed gear 3 times and still have mud stains....never had that issue before from CTMX.......anyone else notice that?

Rowe276dad

PR Member
All and all the weekend was a success. Everyone has pointed out the trouble areas, and I am confident that Chillitown Mx will correct them. One thing I did notice, you need trash cans in the infield and at least one at the starting gate. There were water bottles everywhere. Thank you for a great weekend.
Oh, any chance you can invite that Bluegrass band to the Halloween race?

once again we had a great weekend at chillitown.the only complaint i have is saturday practice.you need to patrol the ppl jumping into wrong practice.i pay to be in a vet practice.there were over sixty bikes on the line and a good majority of them could not even grow hair on their face.other then that great weekend thanks to the ctmx crew

Lotts24

PR Elite
Washed gear 3 times and still have mud stains....never had that issue before from CTMX.......anyone else notice that?

Any light color gear is hard to get clean if it gets a lot of mud or dirt on it. In that case I hit the gear with the pressure washer before I throw it in the wash. Otherwise shout and an old used toothbrush and scrub away.

John250

PR Founding Father
Any light color gear is hard to get clean if it gets a lot of mud or dirt on it. In that case I hit the gear with the pressure washer before I throw it in the wash. Otherwise shout and an old used toothbrush and scrub away.
Usually stuff comes right l
once again we had a great weekend at chillitown.the only complaint i have is saturday practice.you need to patrol the ppl jumping into wrong practice.i pay to be in a vet practice.there were over sixty bikes on the line and a good majority of them could not even grow hair on their face.other then that great weekend thanks to the ctmx crew
That was because people totally missed the their first practice standing in line. They gave them free practices so they just told the girl at the window what # sticker to give them to get another practice. If CTMX did not do that, those people would have got 1 round of practice. If people are going to pay $25 to practice, they expect more than two rounds. I will go back to my original statement. I personally think this race series has out grown the 4 wheelers, and should be bikes only. The Saturday practice, and racing.....really just not enough hours in the day with a large rider count.

jstory

PR Addict

A lot of this was due to people running 2 classes for practice. I paid for two classes for my son so he would get more seat time on both bikes. They didn't have a good option for a second "B" practice so they were fit into other groups.

Double D

PR Founding Father
I got sun burn! Chilly town should put a shade over the whole place. And that water! Wettest water I have ever seen. Ha ha

Wow , how about putt putt. That may be a good alternative sport.

John259. Can even drink a beer!

740DirtJunkie

PR Member

OH...Thats not MUD ...

All and all the weekend was a success. Everyone has pointed out the trouble areas, and I am confident that Chillitown Mx will correct them. One thing I did notice, you need trash cans in the infield and at least one at the starting gate. There were water bottles everywhere. Thank you for a great weekend.
Oh, any chance you can invite that Bluegrass band to the Halloween race?

Simple Harvest is one of my favorite bands around and they had a blast playing the race in April...but we dont want to have the same band every race....we want to have some diversity. We are working on bands for October currently. Simple Harvest will play at CTMX at least once a year as long as I am booking bands...