Broken Spokes

ChubbyCat113

PR Member
It seems like every other time I ride I'm breaking at least one spoke on my rear wheel. I have noticed they are always breaking at the hub on the sprocket side. I don't think they're too tight but what are your guys thoughts? They are oversized spokes as well, any feedback helps. Getting tired of stripping my tire off every couple ride to replace spokes!

What wheelset?

Also if I remember correctly, you're a stout dude. Not going to find any stock wheelset that's going to holdup. My advice: A60's laced with stainless spokes/nipples to whatever hub you want.

I use to have the same problem braking spokes then an old timer told me to loosen up my chain. I thought he was full of s**t but after changing more spokes I tried it. Haven't had a problem since. I tipped the scales at 235 at the time.

I'm running stock hubs with moose wheels. I will try loosening the chain but I'm almost to the point of buying an extra wheel just in case it happens away from home

As a fatty myself, who likes to jump, I can understand issues.. however, I rarely break spokes. I run my chain 3 fingers at the chain slide bolt. I do tend to get some flat spots though. My KTM smoker last year I popped 1 rear spoke and that's the first time I've broke one in a long time ranging from 215 to 270 in the fat department. I long for a60s and stainless, but they haven't been in the budget.

As a fatty myself, who likes to jump, I can understand issues.. however, I rarely break spokes. I run my chain 3 fingers at the chain slide bolt. I do tend to get some flat spots though. My KTM smoker last year I popped 1 rear spoke and that's the first time I've broke one in a long time ranging from 215 to 270 in the fat department. I long for a60s and stainless, but they haven't been in the budget.

Right there with ya! I'll try swapping out the spokes for new because they're 3 years old and run the chain a little looser than normal. A60s are freaking choice but can't swing em right now

Yes, old spokes, fast rider, and or a little extra weight from the rider and that all equals spoke/nipple failure. The key is old spokes/nipples, I replace mine as a maintenance item between 75 and 100 hours. There are several other factors as well, such as: over tightening, tension differential between spokes, hoop deformity, hub deformity, riding terrain/habits, and so on.

The most important step in building a strong wheel is using lube on the threads. I would try Buchanan stainless spokes and nipples.

image.jpeg
I swear by this torque wrench, if your spokes aren't all the same torque the tightest ones will break and then move on to the next tightest ones, and so on? I tighten every third spoke at lower torque until the whole wheel gets done then move up the setting and go around again. Usually three steps and you'll notice none of them are overly loose.

Back