2 stroke, Or 4 stroke ?

4 strokes are way easier to go fast on.. just religiously maintain them and you'll be fine.

I do love my 2 stroke though. However, wayyyy more work to go fast on..

#2strokenation
Unless I were going to try and make a career out of motocross. Or had an unlimited supply of money. All bikes are expensive but I can rebuild my 250 every few years top to bottom, all bearings in chassis and motor for around $1,800. Brand new 2006 Hershey edition.

Running a bike at the A class level , Weve found that the 450s are cheaper to maintain than the 250 2 stroke also.

No one is faster on a 2 stroke. Everyday Maintenance on a 2 stroke cost more from my experience.

I bought a 15 yz250 last summer and the romance only last 3 months before a new 450 was in my garage.
One thing I enjoyed about the 2stroke was tweaking with it. I missed jetting my bike and getting it just right. It's a skill that's slowly fading.

My 125 fun factor is off the charts! Back in the mid 00's i could win locally in the 30+ classes against 450's regularly. Today however the 450's are so fast and easy to ride its not even close. Plus Im too old and slow now.

For the average Joe a 450 will cost far less to take care of than a 2 stroke, I put 300 hours on my 09 YZ450f before I put a top end in it. It didnt even need it. 2 strokes need pushed hard to go fast, 4 strokes dont.

Its just when people dont take core of them and get the catastrophic failure when a 4 stroke hurts!

Either way it's a negative flow of cash. I know you can't rebuild a 4 stroke top to bottom for $1,800. I also know that you have more engine maintenance on a 2 stroke. Much like what Hershey said. I can't justify buying a new bike every couple years because I seem to not ride as much as I used to.
I do a top end typically once a year. Costs about $180 give or take. Oil changes every other ride usually and an air filter I try to get every ride depending on dust.
I agree that it's easier to ride the 450s and there's a lot less stress on the motor. I've only ever ridden a 250f a handful of times but I felt like I had to ride like barcia (probably because Im slow). Not sure what maintenance is like on those. I've heard horror stories about people blowing up 4 strokes and it costs more to fix them than what they're worth.
In the end, any bike you buy is going to cost money in maintenance. Pick the one you have the most fun on and go ride.

I'll be giving a 4 stroke a try this weekend. I've always owned two stroke's for the fun factor. Now that I'm old, fat and slow (which I have been for years), I'm hoping a four stroke fits me better.

Either way it's a negative flow of cash. I know you can't rebuild a 4 stroke top to bottom for $1,800. I also know that you have more engine maintenance on a 2 stroke. Much like what Hershey said. I can't justify buying a new bike every couple years because I seem to not ride as much as I used to.
I do a top end typically once a year. Costs about $180 give or take. Oil changes every other ride usually and an air filter I try to get every ride depending on dust.
I agree that it's easier to ride the 450s and there's a lot less stress on the motor. I've only ever ridden a 250f a handful of times but I felt like I had to ride like barcia (probably because Im slow). Not sure what maintenance is like on those. I've heard horror stories about people blowing up 4 strokes and it costs more to fix them than what they're worth.
In the end, any bike you buy is going to cost money in maintenance. Pick the one you have the most fun on and go ride.

Once any bike gets old enough rebuilding the engine top & bottom could cost more than the bike is worth.

Either spend $3000 total to bring a 2 smoke clapper back to life. Or spend $9k for a four stroke and ride it for 400 hundred hours. $6000 gets me alot of rebuilds on the 2 stroke.

your numbers are inflated a bit but sure

i like to get a new leftover 450 every few years for ~5-6k. put 100 hrs on it, sell it for as close to 4k as possible. repeat. might be about to break this mold and sell my 13 w/ 30hrs on it for a 17 honda.. time will tell

Back