2017 track plans

Race days:
-Practice 8-10am (optional)
-Riders meeting over PA.
-Racing starts at 10:30.
-Timed motos (10 minutes each) mini dads will complain about getting 3 laps, cut the track in half so their 10 minute moto is 4+ laps.
-You have a pre-set race order with what time each moto will start(roughly). So if you dont want to be at the track at 7am and then wait til 11 to race. Show up at 11:40 for your first moto. Leave for lunch, then come back for your second moto at 2:15. Load up, go home.

Just spitballin' here...thats all.

Race days:
-Practice 8-10am (optional)
-Riders meeting over PA.
-Racing starts at 10:30.
-Timed motos (10 minutes each) mini dads will complain about getting 3 laps, cut the track in half so their 10 minute moto is 4+ laps.
-You have a pre-set race order with what time each moto will start(roughly). So if you dont want to be at the track at 7am and then wait til 11 to race. Show up at 11:40 for your first moto. Leave for lunch, then come back for your second moto at 2:15. Load up, go home.

Just spitballin' here...thats all.
I was going to suggest the pre-set race order. I feel that would get a lot more people to show up if they know exactly when they're gonna race. Nothing worse than getting up at the ass crack of dawn, getting through practice and finding out you're race 34 of 36.

One time I heard a once colorful wise man have a crazy idea. Possibly expensive but not for some tracks currently with RFID....uh hmm...WRMC..... have a normal practice day. Day from 9 am til 6pm. Sign up for practice as normal, everyone gets a tag. At noon have a 1 moto 6 lap race for the fast 41-80 riders followed by a one moto 6 lap race for the fast 40. Afterwards back to practice as normal. It's a win win for everyone.

Don't know what happened to the colorful fun guy who came up with that idea.....

that would be worth trying IMO

Wow so far this sounds like our last CRA meeting ,the problem is deciding on which one of these ideas will work then getting everyone to agree on it and lastly have the balls to trying it out . Let me tell you it's not easy to to make the decision to stray from the normal format when it's your own money you might lose . So far all we've been able to agree on is To cut the no of classes down and we were still working on that as the 7pm meeting approached mid nite . It's not as easy as it seems believe me ! That's why we're always trolling on here trying to figure out what the rider wants !

Your never going to get everyone to agree on anything. The normal class format is not working for well over half the tracks so why would you stick to it? The 5 people that run for points may care, but the 200 that don't care about points just see the same old thing. No seat time and long waits between moto's. Forget about CRA, OMA, AMA or any other acronym. They are not helping. More importantly, they are not the customer.

The 5 people that run for points may care, but the 200 that don't care about points just see the same old thing. No seat time and long waits between moto's.
Ok CK1, you couldn't be more correct on this point. This is one of the major reasons we raced less this year. Also, to further your point you end up racing the 5 same kids because the racers who aren't chasing points will end up some where they can practice for "less money," more seat time and a much shorter day.
Forget about CRA, OMA, AMA or any other acronym.
This, I don't agree with however, we only participate in the OMA and AMA. The OMA could help but they would need to set their schedule up, so that, their not stepping on one another and I don't believe that has happened yet. If they will do this and support one another, I think some of the other tracks could get over all, better turnouts. However, they need to share idea's and practices and feed off one another. That's not to say copy another track but find a "niche" race or format or something that you track can do well or different and capitalize on that niche. The tracks also need to get the word out on the streets about their event (sometimes its like a week before the event and thats not enough time to build momentum/hype) and how their event or format is going to benefit the riders (more seat time, shorter days, use of transponders, whatever, but something). For example if, I were a struggling track, I would get with an organization that is going to help me better my track and event and then well ahead of time start advertising what you are going to be doing and how that will benefit the riders...ie. like the idea Hershey posted about practice and then 2 races and then back to practice, that sounds like seat time, lap times and a race all rolled into a possibly shorter day, I'm in. Its worth a try instead of doing the same old thing that isn't working.

Remember when OJ tried to put the glove on?... it didn't fit.
The OMA, CRA, AMA glove does not fit all race tracks. Now if one or more of the acronym's are willing to be flexible on the class structure to allow major changes. Then fine. Drag them along But if not and your losing money like a Lotto winner at a strip club. Then you don't need them.

As far as advertising an event... The schedule comes out in January or Feb. Sometimes before that. And I am sure I am not the only one that does this... but I set my race schedule at that point. Like I know Hoosier Hilltoppers had a race schedule on May 15 that I wanted to go to. I did not get an email or a flyer from them. I looked at there posted schedule.
Now, im not saying don't advertise, please do. It does build hype, just not sure how much it builds attendance.

... The schedule comes out in January or Feb. Sometimes before that. And I am sure I am not the only one that does this... but I set my race schedule at that point.
It gets frustrating to have the schedule set, plan vacation time to accommodate that schedule, then have races cancelled and rescheduled. That's one reason for reduced turnouts.

At least the OMA has a notification system in place. The same is not true of some other organizations.

Ive done more racing this year than i did in the last 3yrs combined, about 12 races for the year. Mostly HS and GPs with vet fest as the only mx that i do.

I think the reason i raced so much is because of Eroc. A 4 race HS series and a 4 race GP series that are structured in a way to maximize seat time and minimize my time at the track. The schedule came out early enough to get it on the calendar before it was filled with other things. And the 4 races for each series were over a couple months not spread out over the hole summer. Both of these series just work for me.

Ill be anxiously waiting for next years schedule to come out so i can get it on the calendar as soon as possible. Red Bud vet fest is already on there for the 3rd weekend in August (I think its been this weekend for the 10yrs Ive been going).

Returning to the sport after taking 7 years off and growing up racing motocross I never remember spending as much time in the truck as I have now. A lot of the places I grew up riding in south eastern are closed or in such a condition it's not worth riding. The only track left in the area is beans which is hands down the best practice track to go to if you want to become a better rider. I miss friday nights at broken spokes more than anything. I hope to see more tracks spring up in the northeast ohio area this year that have a weekday practice and offer some racing on the weekend. (OIR specifically) as I live in Kent now going to college. For the price of motocross I can tell you exactly how expensive it is, but I can also tell you I'm hacking it an internship working 25 hours a week and I've paid for my rig, my bikes, all the gear. memberships, gas, parts and raceday fees. Granted it took me the whole summer to save up for my bike and rig, and it took me flipping a couple bikes for profit to get on a new bike but I did it. Long story short, I want to see tracks get the numbers they need so we can stop losing places to ride, we all ride and spend all of our money for the same reason and that is because we love motocycles. Keep supporting your local tracks, and get your buddies riding.

Returning to the sport after taking 7 years off and growing up racing motocross I never remember spending as much time in the truck as I have now. A lot of the places I grew up riding in south eastern are closed or in such a condition it's not worth riding. The only track left in the area is beans which is hands down the best practice track to go to if you want to become a better rider. I miss friday nights at broken spokes more than anything. I hope to see more tracks spring up in the northeast ohio area this year that have a weekday practice and offer some racing on the weekend. (OIR specifically) as I live in Kent now going to college. For the price of motocross I can tell you exactly how expensive it is, but I can also tell you I'm hacking it an internship working 25 hours a week and I've paid for my rig, my bikes, all the gear. memberships, gas, parts and raceday fees. Granted it took me the whole summer to save up for my bike and rig, and it took me flipping a couple bikes for profit to get on a new bike but I did it. Long story short, I want to see tracks get the numbers they need so we can stop losing places to ride, we all ride and spend all of our money for the same reason and that is because we love motocycles. Keep supporting your local tracks, and get your buddies riding.
Those were the tracks I grew up racing and riding at too. It sucks seeing those places not open anymore. Spokes night races, Western Reserve night races were a blast too. There was always somewhere to race or ride. I remember it being a dilemma trying to decide where to ride or race every weekend. Those days are long gone unfortunately. The atmosphere isnt the same anymore.

I've had this idea for a while. It would be mandatory to have transponders to be able to do this type of racing. This kind of builds off what they do in timed enduros but for motocross. This is just a concept, haven't worked out the details.

What if an organizer had a two hour rotation of motos/races. Bike Bike A/B race, Big Bike C race, Big Bike Open, Supermini race, 85cc race, 65cc race, 50cc race, ATV race, 30+ race, something like that, haven't worked out he details. Max of 40 racers in a moto. The two hour rotation of classes would start at 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5 pm and each race would be 15 mins (again haven't ran the math yet, just a concept). A racer would sign up for a class (normal motocross classes or even more classes) and then reserve a spot in whatever 2 races they would like to be in (for the two moto format). So for example a racer could sign up for the 450 B class and the Collegeboy class and then reserve the Bike Bike A/B race at 9 am and 11 am for the 450 B; then the Big Bike Open race 9 am and 11 am for Collegeboy. The rider would race both the motos and his overall time would dictate his overall finish. Then the rider is done. At the end of the day, the final results would be posted online and an award would be mailed.

This would be attempting to do a couple of things. Larger gates... by making all classes ride together but scored separately it gives the environment of better racing. The ability to race when it's convenient to the rider... I'm not a morning person, I like to ride in the evening, if you told me I could show up and still compete with other riders (maybe not directly on the gate but on paper) and get my motos in at 3 pm and 5 pm, that would help with coordinating my weekends. Gets rid of the long days but the same riding time... show up at 9 am, out by noon (possibly), you could race 2-6 motos within 3 hours. More classes... same overall race time, but opportunity for more classes.

Some of the challenges. Practice... would have to be shortened greatly, maybe just a hot lap before the motos. Limited space for racing... each race would be limited to 40 man gates, I haven't ran the math, but taking all big bike classes and pulling them into a open type class, could be a problem. Open type racing... Not all riders are created equal, racing with all levels of riders or ages could be a issue. The motos would have to be equal race tracks... you would want the race tracks to be similar throughout the day to hold up the integrity of the overall times (possibly have to have more designated track maintenance).

Again.. just a concept. Haven't worked out the details. With more technology coming, we should be able to have increased convenience for racers. Just trying to think outside the box.

I like the different ideas.
How about one long moto.. Like 15 min plus one lap. With a 10 min practice before each group. and divide it into 4 groups...like this: ( Mid summer with the longer daylight hours you could do 20 min plus one lap)
upload_2016-10-28_13-0-26.png

I like that format, but it would be quite a change going from a 2 moto to a 1 moto format even if there was more lap time.

Also, I know I would be having more fun and riding harder going 100% for a shorter period of time twice. For a rider that usual practices and races only a handful of times a year, I'd be beat going from riding 5-10 minutes per session depending how I'm feeling to 15-20 minutes and not riding to the best of my ability.

I really get a kick out of guys who want more seat time , and complain about being at the track all day .
This spring after changing thr the track layout and making it longer ,we also went to a split format completely separating the quads from the bikes , a quad never touches the track before the bikes have practiced and finished both their motos and we went to 5 laps for both Motos , bikes were all done by one or two o'clock at the latest ! The result was riders telling us to please cut back to 4 laps and it was going too fast , could we please take a longer intermission! Huh I'll never understand that one !

Some of our plans for svr include continuing our spectator viewing improvements. We have added bleachers and are trimming trees. We also are in the middle of adding a second water tower, the tower is up and just needs plumbed in. That's all I know for now.

Back