People ask why I keep riding, especially at my age

This was probably the most refreshing set of posts I've read on here in a long ,long time it's the reason promoters like myself got in the sport in the first place . The challenge to be able to try and make a race work no matter what mother nature throws at you and the smiles on the faces of the riders when they come off the track , young and old that's what it's all about trust me , nobody is getting rich today in motocross that's not why some of us are still here ! And these ( if I dare say old school riders ) used to come out and race on race day no matter what the weather is

Last edited:
Yea I think I picked up on it. The driver taught me. He said its lazy English. Cut it short and talk fast. Had a good hour of training on the way to the resort. He was super fun. Tipped him a $50. He stopped alongside this shack (way off resort) and I had the best jerk chicken of my life.

So on the reggae night at the resort this employee took the mic for free style. And the other workers were dieing in laughter. After he would take he mic and freestyle this:

He was singing :
na-girr-plee-doN-trut-me
Nada don-trut-me
Becuh-aye-fuc-emma-lee-uh girr
Aye so sah ree but ya can't trust me....
Becah-aye-woa-fuc ah en Lee uh girr

Now girl please don't trust me
No don't trust me
Because I (vet fest) n I leave em girl. Etc etc.

This place is so awesome.

Did like three versus. These guys were so good.

The one guy came up and brings me a drink. i say i didn't order that.
and goes all you white people look the same I can't keep you straight.

And then in his other hand he had the right drink and said just kidding George mon I got you!

Well lemme back up. There were a calm group of people out at the reggae night. They were playin the popular stuff. Don't worry about a thing etc. every little thing is gonna be alright. In perfect easy to understand English.

And then a worker just grabbed the mic and laid down that line above. Don't trust me girl. And the reggae band erupted with laughter. I did too. And Kristi goes what did he say? And I told her and she erupted in laughter. Haha

I like the responce above. "If you have to ask you won't understand". That is so very true.. Cripe, you guys with all the injuries, your supposed to stay on the bike with rubber side down...lol.
I've rode since I was 9 I have only had a hand full of injuries one was fracuring 3 vertibra though. THAT slowed me down for a while. In my younger days if I didn't wreck at least once while practicing I didn't think I was pushing it hard enough. At 54 I ride smarter (slower) trying to keep the injuries to a minimum and still have fun.. I don't bounce back as quick these days. I hate to work out and I love to ride. The Problem is I have to work out now so I can ride..lol.. my point is it keeps me feeling young. You don't get old riding you get old when you quit! Keep on riding guys!

My wife ask me more than anyone why I do this.....when on some Monday mornings my back is killing me, and it takes 15 minutes to stand up straight. I began riding at age 4, and had my dad rode with me. Began riding pretty well, but started racing BMX. Spent 6 or 7 years traveling the whole country racing BMX at the national level. Decided that after racing 27 nationals when I was a senior in High School that I would concentrate on going to college. Always rode some motocross the whole time I was racing BMX, but BMX was the focus. Did no racing for a year. Figured it sucked not going to the races on the weekends, it was all my parents and I knew. So I sold my YZ 125 and bought a new YZ 250 and decided it was going to b motocross full time. Have not looked back and I am now 47.

The list of injuries sucks.
broken thumb (surgery and pin to repair)
two herniated disc in back (first hurt back at LL in "93. Now have two disc that grind together)
Broken foot
Broken Narvicular (twice)
dislocated shoulder
AC Separation in both shoulders (Total 3 times, total reconstructive surgery on right shoulder)
1 Concussion
Left knee that swells when I hit it riding a lot of times

My wife really questions why I don't just concentrate on my son racing. I sometimes wonder if I would still be racing and riding if my son did not ride. I enjoy my Harley a lot these days, just getting out with friends. But I love lining up on a gate and racing still. I really would love to own a sprint car and race it......but that is WAY too expensive. So I am going to keep racing as long as I can. It is just part of my life. And I will always have a motorcycle. I have had one since 4 years old, and never been without one in my garage since. My dad is 71 and he still rides a street bike too.

Im only 23 and get asked that a lot from friends family and random people i start convos with about racing, i just love being at the track my dad still races too so usually its me and him going to track together and im competitive i like the challenge of racing, i raced from 5 years old till i got ran over at kenworthys which i cant remember when that was and took a several year break; then one day me and my dad just decided to do drews team race we always kept a bike around to race some locals fairs and to just ride and we did father son class and was hooked again been doing GPs and HS since and no serious injuries luckily for me.

List of injuries are short
Broken elbow with reconstructive surgery and pins holding it in place cracked arm and thumb, nerve damage in left hand all from one crash at mcarthur track
Broken colar bone MacArthur track
Wrist beans
Messed up knees from getting ran over kenworthys

Im only 23 and get asked that a lot from friends family and random people i start convos with about racing, i just love being at the track my dad still races too so usually its me and him going to track together and im competitive i like the challenge of racing, i raced from 5 years old till i got ran over at kenworthys which i cant remember when that was and took a several year break; then one day me and my dad just decided to do drews team race we always kept a bike around to race some locals fairs and to just ride and we did father son class and was hooked again been doing GPs and HS since and no serious injuries luckily for me.

List of injuries are short
Broken elbow with reconstructive surgery and pins holding it in place cracked arm and thumb, nerve damage in left hand all from one crash at mcarthur track
Broken colar bone MacArthur track
Wrist beans
Messed up knees from getting ran over kenworthys

It was nice to meet you at COCR this weekend!

Both wrists. Left twice, right once. One concussion Did those before I was 12.
Right collarbone at 15
Concussion at SVR at 17
Left foot at 26
Left collarbone at 28

And I swear I was always sprained/sore/tweaked when I was racing a lot from 14-18. Limping around after smacking knees off the handlebars. That hurts but all in all Pretty lucky considering my dad started me at 4.

I HATE it when people make it seem like riding dirt bikes is a silly phase that young men will sometimes go through, grow out of, then eventually will do something productive.... like getting married, golf, die.... I've never been, but I've heard that married will inflict more pain and injury over time than any of the injuries described here. 'Specially to the wallet!

Anyway, it's my opinion that you should keep right on going, and keep doing what you love, only do it in what I like to call an "age appropriate" fashion. I don't ride myself anymore other than thrashing cheap trail bikes on pit bike tracks, but I'm certain that a vintage bike will be in my future someday.

It's not just the actual riding that I ride for. I grew up with Pitracer 30 years ago, and I LOVE working on projects at the shop there, laughing about stories we've told 1000 times, talking about how we'll be 90 years old and still building bikes and riding. So for ME-- riding bikes is the same as a bowling league is for somebody else. I guess it just depends on who you are, and how serious you take your ridin' and racin'. --L*64
14192033_1384080001606595_1536079246430421695_n.jpg

14380091_10210621141233327_7391736672394511164_o.jpg

This is a great post! I too have a decent list of injuries. Currently, I am not riding. After my sons quit and a 2nd shoulder dislocation (meaning the left one this time) I decided to pursue a long time dream of building and running a Street Stock Race Car. It is truly a labor of love. As far as riding goes, I think about it every single day. I run a lot more now and have had a ton of knee issues - yes running is dangerous - never had those problems when I did MX. In the end, I will most likely return to MX. I am just not sure when. In 5 years I can race 50+ and by then I will either be vested as a race car driver or return to my roots. If you think dirt bike maintenance is a pain - build a race car. Good luck to all and be safe.

Back