Efficiency and MX racing

hershey

PR Elite
Efficiency is something I have been focusing on lately. After an MXA article I read I wondered how the tracks out west run typical 15 min motos and have as many classes or more than we do.

Here is a info sheet from SOCALMX. I think we could learn a lot just from this sheet to help shorten our days at the track.

PLEASE.......NO TRACK BASHING HERE! This is an informative thread ONLY. Lets not rehash old topics that havent worked, lets not talk about removing classes. But lets look at new innovative ideas to shorten the day.

http://www.socalmxseries.com/info.html

Online signup......We see tracks have been trying this locally, maybe, like this series, each sanctioning body could centrally compile these preentries for the tracks? Technically this wont shorten the race day. Although it could since I have seen many tracks hold up practice waiting on racers signing up. Note they say here be sure you are here on time enough to sign up. I think starting on time regardless of racers being late is important.

Get rid of riders meetings.....I could see this saving half an hour at minimum. Think about how long after practice finishes before the first moto actually starts at most races. Have the first racers be the classes that practice first at each round. That gives them time to get ready for motos. When the last practice rolls off the track call the first moto to the staging area. All the info in the riders meeting can be on a flyer given out at the gate.

What other ideas for efficiency do riders have ??? Its not about bitching, its about ideas to make the program run smoothly and quickly. Ideas to help stick to schedules or shave time off a day. Not really huge earth shattering time savers but small easy changes to save time. 20 - 5 min time savers get you home an hour earlier.

Ideas?

How much quicker is the SOCALMX day?
I see a lot of moto 2 DNS's (in the same class) from folks that did well in the first moto.....That makes me think they left.

When I lived out in the land of Fruits and Nuts, REM was the king of short days. I do not recall the start times, but what I do recall is they would load multiple classes on the line for each gate drop , THEN add a second row that would go about 1 minute after the first drop. Effectively, 1 moto would get 2 gate drops totaling as many as five classes on the track.

Like Sharc said, each class was kinda small (4-8 riders per class).

You could hear the B / C / Vet riders crying across the pits when they found out they had to go out with the A class (25 - 30 minutes)!

When I think about the idea of multiple class's on the same gate, It just makes me think, at this point what difference does it make having separate class's? I'm being forced to race against all of them on the line. Especially when we are taking each other out in the first turn.:D

Not complaining, just saying. Hell I just love to race, don't really care who against.

I'd like to think if there was a more productive way to get things done someone would have it figured out.OMA battle format helps move the day along a little faster, but the days are still long. I used to love to race when I was younger, but I can barley stand sitting around all day waiting on the second moto, I'm not really into off road racing but from what I hear its a lot less time consuming.

Im sure the days are long but they have more classes than we do. Maybe they are leaving, maybe the classes are low turnouts but they are here too.

Yesterday there were 2 in my 40 class and 4 in the 30. Most gates were multiple classes and we were out by 3pm or so. I had a really good time.

I too think the battle races are the s**t here in Ohio, they are must do races now. But there is always a way to shave time with efficiency. Again, this isnt a bashing thread by any stretch. Think of it as a think tank of sorts. Peacefully thinking out loud looking for effective ways to save time.

Things I see that could be more efficient

1. The Online signup can save tremendous time and effort once its in place and a system for pre registered riders to check in is mastered
2. Staging and gate loading at times can hold up racing. Longer motos would also help solve any issues here.
3. Having everyone now their job and information about the track they may need. Example, the signup people should know EVERYTHING about how the practice, race and pit area works and the rules. If there is a mini track , who rides on it? Do I need a pit vehicle pass for a bicycle? What time does practice start? Is there late practice? Ect.
4. Knowing when to start the next moto. There is no reason to wait until the last bike is off the track to start the next moto.
5. Start practice at 8am SHARP. I'd much rather be at the track an hour earlier than an hour later at the end of the day. Many people stay the night at the track now anyway on sat.

None of these are out of control at most tracks in the area as a rule. Efficient systems in place with trained workers can eliminate any issues and speed up the day though.

All of these will help the largest contributer to lost time that I see locally......starting on time. It is very rare that local tracks start and run their program on time as scheduled. The biggest difference Ive seen between well run large events at big name tracks compared to local tracks any where Ive been is this one thing. Having knowledgeable staff, effective systems in place (everyone knows their job and information inside and out) ends up with everything running on time. Im a broken record, Im NOT saying our local tracks dont, Im saying good can always be better! There has been a change for the better the last couple years and this is why, tracks have stepped up. Keep up the progress!!

IF you look at the big picture, the big races that are very efficient run 8-900 riders through in the same time other tracks can only run 3-400 riders through. Why is that? Seriously, The battle round days arent much longer than, or any longer, than many much smaller races......

Food for thought.

If I see any bitching, complaining or negativity, Im deleting this thread .......

I'd like to think if there was a more productive way to get things done someone would have it figured out.

Said no successful business person ever.

OMA battle format helps move the day along a little faster, but the days are still long. I used to love to race when I was younger, but I can barley stand sitting around all day waiting on the second moto

The exact reason for this post. If the day was 2 hours shorter would it bother you as much?

When I think about the idea of multiple class's on the same gate, It just makes me think, at this point what difference does it make having separate class's? I'm being forced to race against all of them on the line. Especially when we are taking each other out in the first turn.:D

Not complaining, just saying. Hell I just love to race, don't really care who against.

I could never understand why people dont like racing a full gate of who ever. I understand not sticking a fast class and really slow class on the same gate for safety reason, but other than that, why complain?

I'd like to think if there was a more productive way to get things done someone would have it figured out.OMA battle format helps move the day along a little faster, but the days are still long. I used to love to race when I was younger, but I can barley stand sitting around all day waiting on the second moto, I'm not really into off road racing but from what I hear its a lot less time consuming.
Try one.

online registration the night before. With the internet and instant information, NO reason what so ever I can not register the night before and they can pull the information immediately. Saves me time in line, I know I need to be on the line for practice at X time.....The guy at the gate gets a list of who signed in and hands me my practice sticker at the gate. Done.

Design your dang finish line some where that you can start that next moto when a race is half way around the track on the last lap. East Fork is awesome about this........once that last rider is half way they are dropping the gate. Also load the gate immediately when the other gate drops. Some tracks take so long the white flag is out and they are still putting people on the gate for the next moto.

Do a little spot prepping through out the day. Blue Grass in KY used to do that, and the track never got destroyed and the first moto after intermission does not have to race is slick ass s**t. Nothing like knowing your the first moto and wondering how wet those doubles are when you get to them.

Back