Non Current model year cut off?

KRH

PR Member
What year is the cutoff for Non Current next year? Is it 7 or 10 years old or older? I'm going to be looking for a 125 to build for my stepson who is a true, D class, novice. He came to Vintage Days with us this year for the first time and is hooked. I'm thinking Non Current so he can race it on a modern track and still be legal at VMD. I think he'll be a decent rider, he's got a lot of potential. Should be lots of fun. Anyone have a 125 they're looking to sell, cheap? I'd prefer green but any color will do nicely. Thanks.

Kevin

From AMA Vintage Racing Supplemental Rules:
  1. Vintage Motocross Equipment
    1. Like Design is frames, swing arms and forks must be of period design and materials (pre-1975 for Vintage and pre-1978 for Evolution 1). Any design not clearly documented as period design must be submitted for written approval by AMA Racing at least 30 days prior to competition.

2. Vintage Motocross Class Breakdowns:
      1. Vintage – Vintage classes will include machines originally sold as pre-1975 (and

like design) models. Vintage classes will include bikes with 7 inches or less front

wheel travel and 4 inches or less rear travel.

2. Evolution 1 – Evolution 1 classes will include machines originally sold as pre-

1978 (and like design) models. Evolution 1 Classes will include bikes with a max

of 9 inches of travel for the front and rear. No water cooling.

3. Evolution 2 – Evolution 2 classes will include bikes with no linkage type rear

suspension, no water cooling and no disc brakes. There are no travel limitations.

4. Evolution 3 – Evolution 3 classes may have been produced with water cooling

and have linkage type rear suspension, but they cannot have disc brakes or any power valve type mechanism built directly into the engine. Yamaha’s YZ 1982- 1984 are the only eligible motorcycles allowed to use a power valve mechanism.

5. Non-Current – Non-Current class will include motorcycles originally sold as 1998 and older (and like design) models. Classic Non-Current will include motorcycles originally sold as 1990 and older (and like design) models.

Yep I remember the 2001 RM125. And yes they were having a difficult time with the Classic NC class.

Hopefully it is cleared up a bit in 2017. The rules themselves are clear, but the knowledge of the people running tech just wasn't extensive enough to truly know what was allowed where.

Yes, I'm hoping for closer scrutiny around bike eligibility in 2017. It was anything goes in the NC HS this year.
Im also hoping for a crackdown on reckless riding around the Mid-Ohio facility. I don't want to lose the privilege and convenience of my pit bike at VMD because of a few jack a***s.
Thanks Alex and the AMA for considering these requests.

TECH INSPECTION at Mid - Ohio was a drive through sticker collection process, took less than 5 seconds for me & my bike, not really sure what the purpose of it was.

Tech inspection is definitely a place for improvement. Lots of discussion on how to fix that. Expect changes...

The Non-Current classes are broken up into classes... Non-Current -1998 and older and Classic Non-Current - 1990 and older. Expect some name changes to clear confusion.

We got some possible good news... we expect some more youth classes coming in 2017 and some more festivities in the off-road area to help with the pit riding. More to be announced soon...

Hopefully I will get to play on this 1997 KX125 Carmichael Replica...

14590435_10102951984576452_5244088669495755361_n.jpg

30+ is the only age distinguished Non-Current MX class (as of 2016 VMD). The others are as follows:
Classic NC (up to 1989) 122cc-Open
NC 125
NC 250 A
NC 250 B/C

Back