Need parts for 1977 Yamaha YZ100D

Hey Guys,
I am new to the forum. I just bought a really nice low hours 1977 YZ100D. I am missing a few parts.
I would appreciate any suggestions!
I am missing the air filters, airbox covers, left side number plate, rear brake stay arm, a rear spoke and 3 nipples.
thanks,
Tony p

Attachments

• IMG_0746.JPG
    IMG_0746.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 272
Nice find, that bike is super clean!

For the airbox covers, left side number plate, rear brake stay arm, have you gone to the Yamaha Parts site https://www.shopyamaha.com/parts-catalog/lines/off-road-mcy?ls=Off-Road&dealernumber= for the part number?
It will tell you if the part is available to be ordered.

You might check with some of the older Yamaha dealers Like Lancaster Sports Cycles (Howard in Parts) or Speed and Sport in PA
and of course eBay where you might find new or used.

I'd think you could get aftermarket air filters from Twin Air or Uni Filters.

I don't remember Yamaha selling individual spokes, only as a set. If the bike was ridden with loose spokes the others
were probably stressed and all should be replaced. More $$ today but less grief in the long run.
Buchannans and Dubya Wheels also sell spoke sets for vintage bikes.

Welcome to PitRacer and good luck on your project. Are you new to old bike projects or is this your first?

We have some artists on this site. Check out Winter Projects re-re-re visited.

I am always amazed at how many parts I can find for old bikes. The harder the parts are to find the more fun the search.

Here are some suggestions for your parts search.
  • OEM online parts sources (might need to check more than one source) Google Yamaha OEM parts to get started.
  • Local shops - there are some potential gems that have NOS and OEM parts that you wouldn't expect.
  • EBAY (NOS, OEM, and used) be patient and check often. One hint is to look and don't buy right away. EBAY seems to register that I looked at it and I often get an e-mail offer a day or so later for some percentage off the asking price. Sometimes I use the OEM part number in my EBAY search. For me EBAY has been getting a little harder to use lately and is getting less effective (anybody else seeing the same thing?) I just scored good used 82 RM125 plastics for under $40.00. Nice shape and complete with cool period decals.
  • Mark's Vintage and other dedicated vintage oriented sites. Some are dedicated to brands, periods, or particular bikes.
  • I often grab the OEM part number off of a parts site and them put that part number directly into a google search and have found parts that way.
  • Different year/model parts compatibility - you can sometimes find parts compatibility in discussions by searching Google. Another trick I use is to look a couple of years newer or older for the OEM part and this often increases my chances of finding the part.
  • What I call fabricator level stuff (I am not very good at this but some on this site are at adapting/making parts work for a bike.) I try to keep the bikes I work on pretty original - so I don't use CR parts on KXs or RM parts on YZs etc. - but some are good at that.
  • Craigslist for a cheap parts bike as a good parts source.
The treasure hunt is 50% of the fun, the work is 25%, and the riding makes up the rest of the fun.

DanO

• I often grab the OEM part number off of a parts site and them put that part number directly into a google search and have found parts that way.
  • Different year/model parts compatibility - you can sometimes find parts compatibility in discussions by searching Google. Another trick I use is to look a couple of years newer or older for the OEM part and this often increases my chances of finding the part.

For cross reference I find partzilla.com kicks butt. Go to OEM parts for the 77 YZ100 and find the exact part you need. Click on the part description specifically and it shows every year bike that shares that part. Looks like the left side cover is the same on:

1976 YZ100C FRAME SIDE COVER
1976 YZ125C FRAME YZ125C
1976 YZ125X FRAME SIDE COVER
1976 YZ175C FRAME - SIDE COVER
1977 YZ100D FRAME - SIDE COVER YZ100D

Also - I like Partzilla because you know if they still make the part or not. Some websites will say they have it, let you order, and then email you a week later saying they didn't. Drove me nuts when I started. You can also put in a part# on ebay - it works from time to time.

As mentioned above for Yamaha specifically go to http://www.speedandsportinc.com/ - it really helps to have the specific part number but they have the most as far as I know. If the part is rare and they have it - GET OUT YOUR VISA. Looks like they have your side cover for only $132. Many of us will tell you we have all paid way up for the last piece or two to the puzzle and it really depends on what you want to accomplish in the end.

Have fun and nice bike. Had a 76 YZ125 back in the day....

Back