2016 Mini o's by the numbers

Maybe a bunch of us old spodes should start listing our addresses as Cairo, GA, NC, SC, FLA etc to bring the curve back DOWN.
That's reverse sandbagging on a whole new level. Wow. The Washington-DC-like politics of motocross right there!

John mini os is still cheaper than lorettas. You don't drive all over the country qualifying and paying 3 times entry fees tonrace each class. And you don't send in your $10 qualifier fee. $40 regional fee. Etc etc. you get to mini os. You sign up. You race. You enjoy your family and thanksgiving with the people pitted next to you.

I still talk to people we pitted with at mini os every year for 10 years. They were from south Florida. Always had thanksgiving with each other. Really mini os is an awesome experience. It was my favorite growing up. A lot of wonderul memories. Lorettas was cool too but it was way more serious at lorettas in my experience. We were always focused on us and never really took the time to meet the people next to us. Unless they needed an engine or a part or help with a Problem. But that's not unique to lorettas. That's the sport, you get that everywhere.

I still talk to people we pitted with at mini os every year for 10 years. They were from south Florida. Always had thanksgiving with each other. Really mini os is an awesome experience. It was my favorite growing up. A lot of wonderul memories. Lorettas was cool too but it was way more serious at lorettas in my experience. We were always focused on us and never really took the time to meet the people next to us. Unless they needed an engine or a part or help with a Problem. But that's not unique to lorettas. That's the sport, you get that everywhere.
And this is the definition of the problem.
Its not a vacation or holiday. Its a RACE. You race to win. IF you are going for a memory builder then go to Rat World or the beach. Sure, the off the track activities are unique, and years down the road you may recall a few, but that is what you remember about the event? First thing I think of is getting passed on the last lap of the TT race (yes, they use to have more than moto) by Kenny Kizzar and losing the overall by one damn point...
Is that a wonderful memory? No, it was used for motivation to get better.
No idea what we ate for Thanksgiving, but I am sure it was dry turkey and sand in the pumpkin pie.

And this is the definition of the problem.
Its not a vacation or holiday. Its a RACE. You race to win. IF you are going for a memory builder then go to Rat World or the beach. Sure, the off the track activities are unique, and years down the road you may recall a few, but that is what you remember about the event? First thing I think of is getting passed on the last lap of the TT race (yes, they use to have more than moto) by Kenny Kizzar and losing the overall by one damn point...
Is that a wonderful memory? No, it was used for motivation to get better.
No idea what we ate for Thanksgiving, but I am sure it was dry turkey and sand in the pumpkin pie.

I rememebwr being interviewed by jerry Bernardo for my last lap pass for the win in the TT. Sorry your memory is negative.:p Still got that espn segment on tape. The kid I beat I was using his engine. Because mine blew up in practice that morning. Jerry made a big deal about that.

Racing sure is a big part of the memory but being with my family still comes to mind first moreso than espn and that borrowing an engine story. AND THATS WHY I DIDNT MAKE IT TO THE PRO RANKS I suppose. Oh well. I wouldn't change it. :)

Jerry Bernardo....What ever happened to him? About 15 years ago myself and my brother in law were on a gator with him at the Devils Staircase hillclimbs. He told us why he liked motorcycle racing over ball sports......lets just say if it was made public or on tape, Jerry would be out of TV. Oh wait he is....maybe some else taped their conversation.

Bernardo, definitely my favorite espn commentator. Well second to Dave Despain.

Back to competition. There's alot of kids that burnt out of motocross by the time they're 20 because their parents force it on them like it's their job. What is awesome about mitchy and his program....his dad is passionate, but doesn't ever push him. Gives him the necessary tools (whitcraft) to get better. And Is always telling him to have fun. Etc. Everytime I've seen them at the track, that's how it is. And that's really how it should be. It'll pay volumes and dividends in his twenties!!!

So CK1, how do you breed fierce amatuers from ohio without burning them out or overly stressing the kid out? Not saying it can't be done, but I don't know how to do it.... Dungey wasn't homeschooled.....he's a good story. Hard working parents etc....amatuers I dont think mean you won't be a superstar. Everyone thought alessi was gonna kil everyone and look what happened to him. A mediocre pro career. Dungey had mediocre amatuer career and is killing it in his pro career. So is it really all about breeding racers, and not focusing on the memories, or are todays champions a perfect meshing of the two?

Alessi: A-hole DAD, that pushed and pushed and pushed.
Dungey: perfect mesh.

hm....

'Cause I know you love to see the facts...
1662 entries in SX
2292 entries in MX
That is 3954 at $90 each (if you pre-entered) for a total of
$355,860 Plus $60 each to get in the gate. Plus transponders. EASY million dollar event.

39 SX classes, 43 MX classes.
Now, by the state...
Ohio
166 total entries
0 wins
0 podiums
13 top 10's

Penn
242 entries
3 wins
11 pod
39 top 10's

Indiana
86 entries
0 wins
0 podiums
6 top 10's

Kentucky
55 entries
3 top 10's

Ill
134 entries
4 podiums
15 top 10's

New York
126 entries
4 wins
9 podiums
23 top 10"s

Tenn
90 entries
6 wins
6 podiums
31 top 10's

Georgia
280 entries
7 wins
34 podiums
79 top 10's

Texas
270 entries
8 wins
25 pod
69 top 10's

North Car
194 entries
2 wins
11 pod
40 top 10's

South Car
87 entries
1 win
5 pod
20 top 10's

Mich
179 entries
5 wins
11 pod
37 top 10's

Cali
237 entries
22 wins
39 pod
78 top 10's

Florida
641 entries
12 wins
39 pod
134 top 10's

So, Why? First, why would you spend that money? Why did Ohio riders do so poorly? Had plenty of people try so its not that.
Don't say "sand"... last I checked Pennsylvania is not full of sand. Yes, I know its a "vacation race" and winning is not everything. (in this state it is nothing). And Yes, I know its a bucket list race... BUT really? There are that many people with $$$$ falling out of the buttholes????
This is the product of all the damn open practices we have. No one wants to race, and those that do, get waxed when they go to big events.

HaHa don't forget about the $50 early entry fee, $40 pit pass x2 for most, $40 to have your camper holding tanks sucked at least twice, $800 in fuel, 300 groceries (not including beer). This cost me roughly $2000 bucks this year. The boy rode good I was happy. 166 entries 13 top 10's from Ohio I'm proud to say two of those are his. Spent time with great friends.....we will definitely go back. It's only money you'll make more tomorrow!!

No kidding....didn't know he was homeschooled. All I know is I couldn't hang.

Dutch sports regional 2003
IMG_5418.PNG

They still charging $10 a bag of ice ?? And is that lady driving that old blue 1970s something gmc truck?

Last edited:
there are 1.5 million home schooled kids now. Over 54k just in Ohio. It's not a big deal to be homeschooled anymore.
Its a big deal if both parents work!!! Its also a big deal when you as parents are not believers in home schooling and your kid gets to ride at best twice per week versus ride almost everyday and be trained by professional coaches. Some of us are happy with watching our kids progress at a good rate and aren't willing to risk our family's financial heath and future so that, we can beat our chest and say hey my kid is a top 3 rider. The reason 90% of the top kids are so good is because they are dedicating their life to the sport, either at a facility or from home. Some of us have other things going on in our life, other than to sit around and consume ourselves with worrying about our kid being the next Dungy. CK1 if you have the magic formula why don't you use it on your kid and let us know how it goes (seriously). Any kid that makes it to Loretta's or in at Mini o's should be proud of their accomplishments, especially if they are still going to school, maybe even participating in a school sport or other extracurricular activity at school or working a job and then still competing rather well against kids that are living at a training facility. If you ask me, these kids that aren't living at training facilities or their parents aren't dragging them around the country and spending $60,000 to $100,000 per year might actually be competing right where they they should be, all things considered, their doing pretty damn good. And, if you ask me, that is good enough!!!! Podiums, wins... I don't think any of those kids pay checks changed, they're still at zero. Ck1 your information is interesting but I think you need to re-evaluate where MX is today and look at how much it has changed since you rode back in your day. I think you are comparing an apple and an orange. Actually, its quite easy to see what is going on in this industry and unless your willing to put everything on the line, good luck. I also believe for me this is more about my son and the good people I have had the privilege of meeting over the years, not about whether my son finishes on the podium. Actually, not finishing on the podium might teach him more life lessons than always winning.

Last edited:
with 60 some kids in each class only 1 can win. But being competitive is the issue here. Kids that walk the dog at a local race in OH get blown away at big events. WHY? 15th in schoolboy is not living fulltime at a 18K per year training facility. But that is a result to build on. 38th is not.
I don't have the magic pill. No one does. but the sport has not changed that much. No we did not have fulltime training locations with high tech equipment to analyze oxygen saturation levels at full speed. We did not need it (and you still don't) but we did have a stop watch and a few turns to work on perfecting. Back in the day we had plenty of super fast riders that got to race and practice all year long while living in Cali and Florida yet Ohio and surrounding states had several racers that could hang, if not beat them.
When we went to practice it was on rock hard, unmaintained tracks but we rode HARD moto's, worked on sections, and technique to improve results on race day. It was nothing to have myself, Blair, Mussleman, Armbruster, Reed, Morgan and on and on at Josh Steels house on a weekday. We would push each other every lap. If you got passed then you worked you arse off to catch back up and pass them back or you would hear about it on the tailgate after riding.
My son does not have it. 99.9% sure he will never get it. No matter how much dad wants it for him, that is up to him and I will never try to push him past levels he is not comfortable with. If the time comes where he starts to show signs of possibly being in a place to be competitive, then I can instruct him on getting to the next level. 99.99% of the local kids will not make a living at the sport, but I firmly believe if you have a kid that WANTS to get to a competitive level, it can be taught.
Which brings me back to my first point. We need to have an Ohio training facility. Kids are out of school all summer. Im sure we can get "coaches" to instruct. But we need a facility that is willing to be open everyday. The property I was looking at to purchase is more than likely not going to happen... Still waiting on that rich relative to get out of the poor house... But there has to be a track that could supply facility at a reasonable cost.
Will it work and start pumping out copies on the next Dungey? Never know until you try.
Only thing that is certain, the current view will never change on the circle track we are on now.

As far as the speech helping me... nope, I tried. Just did not have that final .01% it takes. Turns out I am nothing but a loser. A loser with ZERO participation trophies. (my 4th place LL plaque is in that river behind the track)

To quote a great American "If you not first, your last" - Reese Bobby

Lilly I could not agree anymore. My son absolutely loves racing and has improved every year, with lots of success on 85s, and has improved a lot for 13 on a 125 now. He would race every week and ride constantly if he could, but he can't. My wife and I won't finance racing, bikes, etc. I've seen people divorce over racing, file bankruptcy, take money from retirement accounts etc.....not gonna happen here. So we try to keep it in perspective, have fun and hopefully some success.

Matthew is a straight A student, plays football and basketball at school and has success as well in ball sports. He is getting a rounded education and doing other things besides racing. Hopefully he is like me, and will still be riding and having fun in 25 years too.

Less than 1% will make a decent living racing motocross. some that even have some success as a professional, still really have no money to show for it when they stop, and enter the workforce behind others. My suggestion keep in school get a education and have a nice Career. more to life than motocross and racing.

We are there!............If only someone would start that Ohio facility
Actually, Whitcraft and Kilbarger are working toward having more training, more often, in Ohio. They are even thinking about offering a week long training here in Ohio next year. So, while it might not be year round it just might be what we need around these parts. However, I am sure they can speak about this when the time is right.

Actually, Whitcraft and Kilbarger are working toward having more training, more often, in Ohio. They are even thinking about offering a week long training here in Ohio next year. So, while it might not be year round it just might be what we need around these parts. However, I am sure they can speak about this when the time is right.

I hope that the training facility near here can come to be a reality, I have my doubts with the Ohio climate. My son would love that though! I would love to not have to drive across the country for a decent AX track to practice on, only to find that the one in my yard is usually better anyway. The week long training would be great also!

As far as Whitcraft and Kilbarger, I have only heard about their classes, never been to one. Honestly though, we have done some others classes and I personally think its a waste of time and money for us for a one day'er. Yea its fun time, and to have guys like that giving you advice and stuff is awesome. However, in our past experience, there were always more kids at those kind of one day schools than a couple of guys can really observe and coach properly in a single day. Coaching younger kids and older kids together is also a downfall of the classes we have attended, just not the same skills.

I coached a lot of youth football. I believe it near impossible for kids to get much from a one day class, especially if your an advanced rider. They just don't retain all that stuff in one day. Kids usually respond better to a product of repetition than advice.

Perhaps these two guys are doing something different in their class.......can anyone chime in on that?

Back