2017 Supercross changes.

weaver658

PR Member
As of a1 the main events are now timed plus one lap races. The 250 class will be 15 min plus one lap and the 450 will be 20 min plus one lap. The goal is to have the same amount of racing at all events. I personally don't think it will make for better racing, but we'll see.

As of a1 the main events are now timed plus one lap races. The 250 class will be 15 min plus one lap and the 450 will be 20 min plus one lap. The goal is to have the same amount of racing at all events. I personally don't think it will make for better racing, but we'll see.
What it will do is give them flexibility in track design now they need to guess the lap time to make sure the event time ok for live stuff

That's a good thing in my opinion. There were some like 45 and 50 second lap times last year that makes for short mains.

I like it. I also think that next year they should open up the 250 class to almost everyone. Keep two coasts, but let anyone ride the class. It's ridiculous that guys like Weimer, Mookie, Bogle, and Tickle (all past champions) either don't have rides or are riding for free. Yet guys like Hampshire, Harrison, and Reardon are getting paid a salary to race a motorcycle and haven't proved a damn thing in their careers except inconsistency. The balance is just way off.

I used to worry about that and get mad that riders don't get paid well. But you know what? It's on them. If they don't stand up for themselves they'll never get paid. As long as they line up to the gate by the time the tv turns on I'm happy. Gettin paid is on them. Not us.

That's kind of what I'm getting at. They are one lawsuit away from getting that rule changed. Someone just needs to do it.

I'm not following your comment about a lawsuit. Over what??
Some experienced riders not having rides when a few less experienced riders do?

As a consumer and enthusiast, I like the changes.
I could imagine TV does also because it gives them consistency in programming & advertisement sales for that time slot.

No not at all. I was thinking more along the lines of the right to earn a living. I'd just like to see the best riders out there.

Back