Give me some honest opinions.

ADplayrider

PR Member
OK guys, been out of riding for about 8 years and the bug has bit me big time to ride. Found a 08 Crf 450 in good shape. Rode 2 strokes my whole life. Just some honest opinions . Are they worth it. I'll probably ride four time's a month .

As a guy pumping a ton of money into a bike not worth a ton of money. Four strokes that don't have the paper work to show they have been kept up on is like getting handed a grenade with the pin pulled. I'll never buy a used four stroke again. Love the power, love the bike, but I'm dumping more money/time into it to fix it, than I am riding. That being said I'm buying a brand new 250f in the spring before race season. So it depends on budget, used I would say 2 stroke, new I would say 4. Plus 2 stroke builds are a lot of fun and pretty inexpensive. 05 + yz250 has the aluminum frame and great suspension base. RMATVMC has the 2015 plastic kit to give it a modern look. And it's pretty cheap to bolt on factory parts. Mitch Payton could build 4 factory kx 125's compared to ONE factory head on a 4 stroke. My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

As a guy pumping a ton of money into a bike not worth a ton of money. Four strokes that don't have the paper work to show they have been kept up on is like getting handed a grenade with the pin pulled. I'll never buy a used four stroke again. Love the power, love the bike, but I'm dumping more money/time into it to fix it, than I am riding. That being said I'm buying a brand new 250f in the spring before race season. So it depends on budget, used I would say 2 stroke, new I would say 4. Plus 2 stroke builds are a lot of fun and pretty inexpensive. 05 + yz250 has the aluminum frame and great suspension base. RMATVMC has the 2015 plastic kit to give it a modern look. And it's pretty cheap to bolt on factory parts. Mitch Payton could build 4 factory kx 125's compared to ONE factory head on a 4 stroke. My 2 cents.

I'm with you. Used four strokes are very hard to judge. I've seen mint 250fs and 450s that look amazing last 10 hours and blow up. Two strokes are fun and cheaper to build but I've ran into issues with those too. Look at both, price out parts, and choose. Four stroke new is a good idea. Keep it for a year or two and sell it and buy another. That seems like the safest way to do it.

I bought a used 08 Honda 450 at the beginning of 2015. I love it....checked out all the basic stuff, chain, sprockets,tires, bearings, suspension. Paid 2500 bucks for it. Ended up replacing the lower bearings and changing the fork oil. Everything else was good.
After racing for a full year on it I did replace the valves, piston, clutch basket and all the other little stuff that goes with it.
If I was going to buy a used 4 stroke again... it would be a 08 Honda 450.

Just one thought on a used YZ250. If going that route, best to go one year later with a 2006 or later...SSS suspension started in 2006.

I want to thank you guys for your thoughts. I had a 02 CR and rode a 04 yzf and wanted to go buy one then. Well, gonna go find some people to ride and then get a bike, as we know, riding by yourself is not much fun, Thanks again.

You can't go wrong with a yz250 2 stroke. Parts are very easy to get at any time.

I blew up my bike at practice Sunday. Was rebuilt and ready for the battle of Ohio at malvern the following Saturday.

My daily rider is a 2006 YZ 125 Athena 144 big bore. SSS suspension. Grip and rip on a budget.
IMG_4503.JPG

All I did was bitch about my brand new 2013 yz450 when I bought it in 2013. I don't bitch about my 144. Well I I need two more in good condition. that's my only bitch.

I just got my first four stroke after riding on and off since I was 8 years old (I'm coming up on 48). It's a bit much in the woods and will take some getting used to, but it's the tits on the track. I'm loving it so far. I'm not sure if it's because I haven't ridden in 5 years or if it's just something new (four stroke). I got mine with 30 hours on it. With the way I ride, it should last me forever. I'm fat, slow and too old to stay on the pipe. I lug around everywhere.

I have always loved my YZ250's though. Had many of them over the past 20 years.

Well, turn 46 tomorrow, four stroke is sounding good,. New to 4 strokes . The bike I looked at had a hour meter at 99.5. He said he bought it at 65 hours, put a new piston in had the valves adjusted. He's not a motocross guy I could tell buy the way he talked about were he rides, single track. The bike looks tight and all there. Suggestions?

Right now I'm putting new valves in and I'm going to have send off the motor to get the seats milled so I can install the new valves. Which is not going to be cheap for a bike worth $2000 if I'm lucky. Just depends on your budget. I think 450's are more durable when it comes to valves and hours on the motor than my 250f. I do mostly racing and open practice though too.

Well, turn 46 tomorrow, four stroke is sounding good,. New to 4 strokes . The bike I looked at had a hour meter at 99.5. He said he bought it at 65 hours, put a new piston in had the valves adjusted. He's not a motocross guy I could tell buy the way he talked about were he rides, single track. The bike looks tight and all there. Suggestions?

In My humble opinion at that kind of hours, I would do the bottom end !

You will LOVE a four stroke !

I got a great deal on my bike. If I were you, I would try to find a 450 with 40 or less hours on it, and try to do some research to find out how it was ridden previously. I wouldn't buy a used 250f no matter how many/few hours.

Blow up a motor on a 4 stroke you're looking at thousands to replace everything... grenade a 2 stroke maybe $700 to replace the whole motor... there's a lot more going on in a 4st... valves, cams piston, timing chain... in all honesty if you're not trying to do nationals and just want to ride for fun, I say 2 stroke all day. Like georgie said, blow it up one weekend, be riding the next. Also with you not being too familiar with 4 strokes you might not be able to work on your own bikes, anyone can work on a 2 stroke who understands basic mechanics.

The power of the four stroke is undeniable, but the fun factor of the two stroke is also undeniable.

I would think about this as well: how good of shape are you in? Do you exercise regularly? I know for me that's a valid question when it comes to 2 vs 4. If I can ride 4 laps good on a 2 stroke then I can do 6 on a 4 stroke. I don't have time to exercise during the week so a 4 stroke is the answer for me. 4 stroke is the lazy mans bike.

Back