A is A, B is B, C is C

so the AMA is cracking down on sandbagging....
46443679.jpg

Posted this on another tread. Move riders up by points. Used by thursday night motocross in Portland Oregon.

Attachments

• Thursday Night Motocross Move up.pdf
    63.3 KB · Views: 210
Lol.....like a simple article will fix that problem!!!

Cameron youre listed as a C rider and they have me as an A rider!1 WTF????

So am I. Im a c rider. In the vault for Loretta Lynn's as well. That makes sense. I'll take it. Screw IT. 125c here I come. And I'm gonna run a cheater motor. What do I care ?!

So am I. Im a c rider. In the vault for Loretta Lynn's as well. That makes sense. I'll take it. Screw IT. 125c here I come. And I'm gonna run a cheater motor. What do I care ?!

Sorry George, hate to crush your dream.

9. If I qualified for the Loretta Lynn’s national 10 years ago, am I still eligible for the “C” class?
No, if you ever qualified for Loretta Lynn’s Amateur National you are no longer eligible for the “C” class.

Last edited:
I understand the article and agree where it says the national level is suppose to be more difficult, but where do you draw the line? When you have guys at their local race beating everyone by 20 seconds and then goes to a qualifier and isn't even in the top 10. Yet that rider is a sandbagger at the local level and getting smoked at nationals.

I understand the article and agree where it says the national level is suppose to be more difficult, but where do you draw the line? When you have guys at their local race beating everyone by 20 seconds and then goes to a qualifier and isn't even in the top 10. Yet that rider is a sandbagger at the local level and getting smoked at nationals.

That's the point, everyone is cheating.

Yea really sucker punches the c rider both ways. GETS Hated on locally. Gets crushed nationally. And we Wonder why they leave the sport so quick.

Shouldn't the AMA website list the riders previous years RPV? What's the purpose if they don't track the most important number for advancement and make it known?

Erek Kudla has his head buried in the sand. I am guessing he wont change a damn thing. Funny he states riders need to police the classifications. Well that works if a kid rode B class one week, and C class the following. But it does NOTHING for the kids that are planted in the C class for 5 or 6 year. Many never get the RPV points, but they are far from being B riders.

Take Loretta's out of the national mix and these riders do not stay planted in the C class. Some will because they want that trophy. But if a kid has raced for 10 years and races 10 to 20 races a year, he is NOT a C rider. My son is a perfect example. He has raced for 10 years. 50s, on up. Had the most success as a 85 Jr rider and won most the local races he entered, but not the bigger races. Because of sixe I put him on a 125 at 12. Is he really a C class, beginner rider? No way. But under the system we have, if I put him in the B class at 13 now, he is getting smoked on his 125 (he can not legally ride a 250F with the new rule this year due to age). The C class is stacked with fast kids. So where is he riding? Schoolboy and C Class. While I don't agree and think he is a C rider, that is honestly where he belongs with the level of competition in the C class. Guess my point is, 3/4 of the C riders should be racing the B class, if C is a Novice class, and B is an intermediate class.

I'm glad you're utilizing the AMA Race Center site. Let me explain a few things that are great and negative of the AMA Race Center:

1. The AMA started collecting electronic results in the mid-2000s (surprisingly when electronic results got around to MX) before that, we had no way to track participation and classification. The race center was turned on in 2006, so basically everyone started from a clean slate. The Race Center is intended to track classification by participation in races. The challenge, if a rider is not listed already in the Race Center (a new rider) and they ride a 40+ class (which is A, B, or C) what classification do you give them? So it was decided, give them a C classification, once they ride a 40+ A class, their classification would update to A.

If your or you see someone's classification isn't correct, email mxracing@ama-cycle.org and we'll look into it.

2. Historically all classifications issues have been other riders responsibility. One example of why that is: if a racer rides a non-AMA fair race in the A class and then shows up to a OMA event in the B class. That's the other rider's responsibility to bring that to the referee's attention. Which is what Erek Kudla's (Off-Road Racing Manager) article is about. Racers believe if I ride a local event then go to a GNCC, I can drop down because the competition is tougher. That isn't allowed. Or the classic excuse, I took two years off, so I'm dropping down the C class. That isn't allowed. The race center is attempting to document a rider's current classification as a way for other competitors to check. We only collect AMA Results.

3. Just because the Race Center says your C, doesn't actually mean you can cheat. A racer can file a protest showing results and you would be disqualified and we would update the Race Center.

Funny story... my first month working at the AMA I was doing motocross advancement in 2012. I pulled out a letter telling Ricky Carmichael "congratulations, you're a A rider." Reason being, he had no amateur results from 2006 to 2012. In 2012, was the year he qualified and raced Loretta's. The system viewed him as a new rider who self advanced to the A class since he rode some A classes and the 25+ class.

The main issue Erek is trying get across... rider's thinking they can drop classifications when it comes to one series is harder then another series, so a rider is going to drop down a classification. That simply is not true.

You'll be surprised how much this happens on the off-road side of things...

Actually.. this reminds me. Erek and I worked on a issue where a rider rode out of class because it was muddy and well he's not good in the mud. So he dropped from A to B.

Last edited:
I remember I did a GP a few years back... was a solid top of the class B rider in MX. I dropped down to C because I had never ridden woods a day in my life. I was dead last off the start, ended up passing all the C and B riders in the 45min race. Talk about some butthurt people, I don't think I'd ever been called a sandbagger soooo much in my life as I was that day

Back