Motorcycle industry! This can hurt some brands

NOWA

PR Member
ActionAlert_Federal.jpg

red%20bar.png

Push back against proposal for higher import fees on certain motorcycles
Tell your senators and representative your opinion today!

Take Action

Urge your federal lawmakers to oppose the Office of United States Trade Representative's proposal to include 100 percent tariffs on motorcycles imported from the European Union with an engine size between 51cc and 500cc in the E.U. - U.S. beef hormone trade dispute.

Use the American Motorcyclist Association's convenient tools to urge your federal lawmakers to oppose the USTR's ill-conceived proposal before the Jan. 30 deadline to submit comments. Motorcyclists should not be penalized with exorbitant tariffs because of a beef trade dispute.

The AMA opposes the proposed tariff, because trade disputes residing within the boundaries of the agricultural industry should not be solved with trade sanctions levied against non-agricultural products.

Specifically, a 100 percent, or higher, tariff on these motorcycles is proposed. This will cause serious and potentially irreversible harm to American small- and medium-sized business owners selling the vehicles. Additionally, consumers will be denied access to certain models of competition and recreational motorcycles that contribute to the lifestyle and wellbeing of millions of American families.

Affected manufacturers include: 1) Aprilla; 2) Beta; 3) BMW; 4) Ducati; 5) Fantic; 6) Gas Gas; 7) Husqvarna; 9) KTM; 10) Montesa; 11) Piaggio; 12) Scorpa; 13) Sherco; 14) TM; and 15) Vespa.

Should the availability of product be hindered through unjustified trade sanctions on European-produced motorcycles, dealerships may close, leaving countless Americans without jobs.The negative effects of the proposed trade sanctions will not only harm the motorcycle sales industry, but will spread through the aftermarket equipment sector, recreation equipment sales, the sports entertainment industry and further down the line.

Make our voice stronger by sharing the AMA alert. Share with your friends on Facebook.

Now more than ever, it is crucial that you and your riding friends become members of the AMA to help protect our riding freedoms. More members mean more clout against the opponents of motorcycling. That support will help fight for your rights - on the road, trail and racetrack and in the halls of government. If you are a motorcycle rider, join the AMA at www.americanmotorcyclist.com/membership/join.

AMA Gear!

Join the AMA!

Unsubscribe

AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxM_-2T52mtiW5TDbAseMuKKtAYzvYRMZmXKIvC_Du2Zw

Kind of crazy earlier today I heard Trump say "screw EUROPE"! Not really sure if it was true. You all know the way media is.

Isn't that tax all ready in place on Japanese motorcycles since the 80's to protect HD?

The AMA opposes the proposed tariff, because trade disputes residing within the boundaries of the agricultural industry should not be solved with trade sanctions levied against non-agricultural products.

It's about our beef...

It's about our beef...

When the price of Japanese bikes doubled in the 80's it was to save Harley. The tax is still in place.
I don't know the exact % but it's a crazy number.

When the price of Japanese bikes doubled in the 80's it was to save Harley. The tax is still in place.
I don't know the exact % but it's a crazy number.

While the 750cc tariff was a result of HD asking for help, HD also asked for the tariff removal three years later. The tariff was 49% the first year, 39% the second, and 29% the third. It was supposed to gradually
drop to zero but HD asked Reagan to drop it to zero sooner and he did.

All those FZ700s and other japanese 700s from the mid 80's were a result of the Japanese quickly
reacting to the tariff and making models to avoid it.

Yes, zero is a crazy number, especially when it's in the denominator.

can you imagine if the price of a KTM or Husky went even higher? Would the public still buy them?

Harley's are at a higher cost point than the rest ....and they underperform.
Have you ridden a new Harley? I have a 2015 Street Glide.....and it runs pretty damn good, and for a Bagger, I can go into a corner pretty aggressive and it sticks extremely well. Not sure the under perform tag still applies to the newer models. They are not sport bikes.

Have you ridden a new Harley? I have a 2015 Street Glide.....and it runs pretty damn good, and for a Bagger, I can go into a corner pretty aggressive and it sticks extremely well. Not sure the under perform tag still applies to the newer models. They are not sport bikes.
How much did you pay for the Harley? ...

How much did you pay for the Harley? ...
I got a great deal out the door for mine. The dealer is a client of mine. I got it for under $20,000. New jap baggers are not that much cheaper these days. And Victorys and Indians are just as much.

Back