1971 Suzuki TM400

Bass 67

PR Member
I'm looking for spokes for the front rim for a TM400. Wondering where I can get them besides eBay

I will measure them. I didn't know about the diameter! Thanks! When I find a pic of this monster I will post it it! It was in bad shape!

Hey, if you talk to Bucannan, make sure you get correct length & diameter if not they will send longer ones & there a bear to cut each one!

I'll also be giving Buchanan a call real soon for a set of custom spokes for an 84 RM250 and figured if I ordered a custom set that they'd fit without doing anything to them.

Sounds like you had a set with a long threaded end that needed to be cut? Did that happen on a custom set? If so, did you end up talking to them about it after you received the long spokes...mistake on their part or just their normal way of doing things? I could see how it'd be a pain to cut a bunch of spokes to the correct length.

I'll also be giving Buchanan a call real soon for a set of custom spokes for an 84 RM250 and figured if I ordered a custom set that they'd fit without doing anything to them.

Sounds like you had a set with a long threaded end that needed to be cut? Did that happen on a custom set? If so, did you end up talking to them about it after you received the long spokes...mistake on their part or just their normal way of doing things? I could see how it'd be a pain to cut a bunch of spokes to the correct length.

I have bought 4 sets of spokes from Buchanan, including my 84 RM250, all were perfect. Probably the best spoke company in the world for vintage. No cutting, in fact the wheels went together easily and trued up perfectly.

I also need bars and was thinking of a new carb. Anyone have any ideas? The motor is bored 40 over, that's why I was wondering about a carb.

IMG_1903.JPG

This has been a project for over 8 years now due to the fact that my son races and I put it aside for him. He asked me if we could put it together this year which surprised me so we are going to make a go at it.

Carb parts warehouse Cleveland is the best spot talk to him about your bike and he will build and jet it out of the box.

I have bought 4 sets of spokes from Buchanan, including my 84 RM250, all were perfect. Probably the best spoke company in the world for vintage. No cutting, in fact the wheels went together easily and trued up perfectly.

Good to hear Mike...paranoid I was gonna be cutting a bunch of spokes.

I was considering trying to lace mine up, haven't done it before. I've only ever had to have one wheel built up and paid someone to do it. Did you by any chance lace yours up?

Good to hear Mike...paranoid I was gonna be cutting a bunch of spokes.

I was considering trying to lace mine up, haven't done it before. I've only ever had to have one wheel built up and paid someone to do it. Did you by any chance lace yours up?
I did lace them up, I have done 6 wheels now, its not a hard as it looks, but it does take some time. I had pictures of the old wheels. Its well within you capabilities and a very satisfying job. The article below helped me decide to do my own, and gives you a good overview of the process.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-wheels/spoke-wheels/

You can do it mooch.
Having never done it before, I re-spoked both wheels on my MX250. Take photos of your original wheel and spoke configuration and you can't go wrong.

I used the nipple anti-seize they supplied with the spokes, and every spoke came loose during my first ride, so you have to watch them close at first. They began staying snugged up after that. It's aggravating to have that happen after you spent so much time truing them up.

I've got several more re-spoke jobs ahead of me if I ever get time to do them.

when I ordered the ones for my BSA twin they required me to send samples to get length right,that was a few years ago but they were right

Talked to Buchanan today to see what all information they needed for spokes. The guy told me the diameter of the nipple and the width of the rear rim. What he meant by diameter of the nipple, is the space between where you put a wrench and the head of the nipple. Thanks for helping out everyone!

Talked to Buchanan today to see what all information they needed for spokes. The guy told me the diameter of the nipple and the width of the rear rim. What he meant by diameter of the nipple, is the space between where you put a wrench and the head of the nipple. Thanks for helping out everyone!
Neat, I did not know that.

Back