New Mid-Ohio MX track

If you like that concept check out McKee's Sky Ranch AHRMA event in July in WV, not too far. Its a cattle farm/airport that holds a vintage race each summer. Full grass coverage to start, off cambers, few small jumps but true old school MX.

Cool Video.
I have to admit, I've seen the light.

Last summer I raced "Poor Tom" at Rt 62 for the AHRMA race. Liked to beat the bike to death. Modern tracks are definitely too rough for bikes with 4" suspensions and down pipes.

I appreciate a grass track for Vintage racing so much more now.

NQ...at first I was thinking "Poor Tom" was a rival rider in your class at Rt 62. But seems that's a name for a vintage bike you have? If so, how'd it get a nickname like that :)

Mike, I've thought about going to the WV AHRMA race the last few years...will put a higher priority on it for 2017. I also really need to get a vintage bike to keep the PV bike company!

045.JPG

047.JPG

051.JPG
Couple of pictures from McKee's last year perfect on the TM100, a very different experience, old school scrambles but tons of fun.

NQ...at first I was thinking "Poor Tom" was a rival rider in your class at Rt 62. But seems that's a name for a vintage bike you have? If so, how'd it get a nickname like that :)

Yea, that's my MX250.

Back when rebuilding the bike, one winter evening I was in the garage working on the motor, my mind wondering and got to thinking about an article I read on how the Yamaha MX250 fell from popularity when the company introduced it's sibling YZ250 in 1974. Felt a little sorry for the bike that hung in there and was a good seller.

At that moment I had a CD in my radio and the song "Poor Tom" came on. (Led Zeppelin: CODA). The song was an acoustic campfire song that the boys in the band did while on a short vacation at a cottage that they stayed at. It's an old folk lore song of a railroad worker who's wife cast him aside for another man.

Seemed fitting at the time to give my old MX a name. After all it was getting a new life again.

Yea, that's my MX250.

Back when rebuilding the bike, one winter evening I was in the garage working on the motor, my mind wondering and got to thinking about an article I read on how the Yamaha MX250 fell from popularity when the company introduced it's sibling YZ250 in 1974. Felt a little sorry for the bike that hung in there and was a good seller.

At that moment I had a CD in my radio and the song "Poor Tom" came on. (Led Zeppelin: CODA). The song was an acoustic campfire song that the boys in the band did while on a short vacation at a cottage that they stayed at. It's an old folk lore song of a railroad worker who's wife cast him aside for another man.

Seemed fitting at the time to give my old MX a name. After all it was getting a new life again.

So :(. I'll never see your bike the same way again. :rolleyes::D

Watching that Fairfield Vintage video, makes me think a lot about how you would gear and set up a vintage bike for a track like that.

You've got the twisties going there but also quite a few long open stretch's to hit them taller gears. Just have to have the horsepower and torque for both ends. One of my shortfalls is not getting enough seat time on my bikes to know 100% which way to go on bike changes. For a long while there I kept believing that I needed a larger rear sprocket because I could never get a good start. But once I got him rolling, he seemed to have good power and speed in 3rd and 4th gear open stretch's. And of course almost never seeing 5th gear.
I later found that, by like my 4th moto gate drop, I was a lot more aggressive on the gas waiting for the gate to fall, and then able to stay up in the pack. So I know that it was me holding back, more than the bike.

I've not ridden the vintage races for a couple years. This year I hope to make 6 or 8 races, and the event at McKee's Sky Ranch is definitely going to be one of them. I was there in 2014 and had a lot of fun. They have good things going on for a full four days. Including a great dual-sport/enduro and a vintage road bike tour, in addition to the cross-country and motocross races.
Here's a link to a Go-Pro view of a few laps.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xpkPwH2SZw

Last edited:
I've not ridden the vintage races for a couple years. This year I hope to make 6 or 8 races, and the event at McKee's Sky Ranch is definitely going to be one of them. I was there in 2014 and had a lot of fun. They have good things going on for a full four days. Including a great dual-sport/enduro and a vintage road bike tour, in addition to the cross-country and motocross races.
Here's a link to a Go-Pro view of a few laps.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xpkPwH2SZw

Welcome back MajorKAP, haven't heard from you on here for a while.

Back