Dislocated Shoulder?

Mosher

PR Founding Father
How old were you?
How long did you let it heal?
Any therapeutic tricks that seemed to work best/quickly?

I'm already working with range of motion and strengthening bands. Yesterday, two weeks from injury, wearing an EVS brace, still had issues with small pinching and pops.

Thanks.

All I can say is rotator cuff surgery the worst ever. Do what you can to steer away from that. It was worse, at least in recent memory, than getting a rod put in my right femur...twice. That soft tissue stuff sucks.

My advice is go to a good doctor so you know exactly what you're dealing with if you haven't already. Play devils advocate with them to see the good and the bad of doing this an that and make your plan and STICK to it. Tough with weather getting nice, but man, soft tissue injuries...suck.

Best of luck my friend.

BTW- The pinching and popping never goes away..well, in my case anyway...

2 - Ac separations over the years for me
0 - dislocations - don't know anything about them - don't want too either.

Heal up well before returning...

7 dislocations in my late 30's. I waited about 6 weeks to ride after the 1st one and then proceeded to pop it out on the 1st ride back. From that point, would not stay in place and could never get it to pop back in myself so had to go the ER each time. Had surgery which involved cutting a nub of bone from another area in the shoulder and then screwing it down to block the route that the humerus was taking when it would pop out. Never had it pop out again but surgeon said if it happened again, it would be more difficult to get it back in place. I take it you've been to the doctor to get some exercises and an opinion on how long to rehab it before riding ? If you do something to early to make it pop out again, the likelihood of it not staying place after that will be greater.

I have separated and dislocated both and broke the ball joint in half causing a dislocation on the right. Left one still pops out on occasion to this day and the right is solid because of the screws in the ball joint but range of motion sucks. Cant throw a baseball, football, anything that requires above the head motion. I always try to stand in doorways and stretch my shoulders, seems the easiest simplest way to really stretch the joint. My more serious one came when I was about 20-21 don't remember exactly but I have popped the left out many times over the years. Make sure you do all of the exercises th therapists give you because range of motion will be critical believe me!! I may have slacked and def pay for it now in my old age. Mine still give me trouble especially a day after riding. Went yesterday and I can feel it today!!

I've been fortunate to never experience a joint injury. Only long bone fractures and breaks.

The Physical therapist should make you say uncle.

Dislocated the shoulder about 18 years ago. Had it set back in place. I believe it was about 6 to 8 weeks before I rode again. Did some exercises at the time.

4 AC separations on the same shoulder. Last one was about 7 years ago. Had to have complete reconstruction surgery on that shoulder. Basically cut me down to the bone, and used cadaver tissue to tie my shoulder back up. Had that done in October, let it heal up and did my physical therapy all winter. Rode a little in May, it felt pretty decent, so went to dirt country to race. It was muddy in practice, slide up the face of Gravity cavity and knew I would case it. I had jumped that jump thousands of times. Cased it, never crashed but broke my foot. Was out all summer with it.

I did the PT and everything after the surgery. Range of motion is decent, but like Mike said, I can not throw a baseball or softball anymore either. It is like my arm will no longer come over top. Used to play softball. Those days came to a stop.

I'm up reading this cause my shoulder hurts and I can't sleep.

No dislocation, just jammed it good a couple years ago.

I guess I am not immortal after all. Thor makes it look so easy.

Hate hearing this, hope you recover ok Kurt.

I'm not exactly sure what I did to my left shoulder, but damaged it pretty good on the old 9-pack section at Briarcliff. I never went to the doctor or ER. Even thought that I might of had a slight fracture of the collar bone as well. A coworker's wife is a PT, and he gave me some tips , as he had been through it before as well. (He's hard core into road bicycles).

It hurt like hell for quite a time, but after very regular stretch's and exercises it eventually cleared up.
It would be extremely disappointing if I lost my ability to throw balls overhand, as all of my grandkids are now coming into Little League and I am assistant coach. I've always loved Baseball.

So my shoulder was encapsulated after my collarbone injury. I didn't move the joint for 6 months Just about. Hurt way worse than the collarbone injury. Physical therapist kicked my ass for a good month before I rode at pax the first ride back. Physical therapy all the way!!!

How old were you?
How long did you let it heal?
Any therapeutic tricks that seemed to work best/quickly?

I'm already working with range of motion and strengthening bands. Yesterday, two weeks from injury, wearing an EVS brace, still had issues with small pinching and pops.

Thanks.

I Dislocated my Shoulder 3 times in the past 8 years. Went and had it pop back in, never did no rehab. But 10 weeks ago I loop my 4 wheeler out and hung onto it. OUCH. Did not pop out but torn my rotator cuff bad. Still doing therapy twice a week. Have all move ment, now we are working on strenth. I'm 57

Attachments

• ch1_image_003.jpeg
    ch1_image_003.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 888
  • ch1_image_002.jpeg
    ch1_image_002.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 115
  • ch1_image_001.jpeg
    ch1_image_001.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 136
  • ch1_image_004.jpeg
    ch1_image_004.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 129
  • ch1_image_005.jpeg
    ch1_image_005.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 130
  • ch1_image_006.jpeg
    ch1_image_006.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Just a follow-up to my current situation.

I tried racing this past weekend at Amherst and was really sketched out about the mud. I rode maybe 3 corners of practice and pulled off. Shoulder was fine. By race time track was dry and I rode around without hitting the bigger jumps. Shoulder still fine. Two days after a little sore, but a good sore.

This is what I prior to this race:
Stopped riding for 4 more weeks
Worked on range of motion daily
2 weeks out did some rubberband and isometric training
Bought an EVS brace and learned how to adjust it to my situation

I'm pretty happy with being back to almost normal.

Thanks for all the insight and ideas.

Last edited:
Mine hasn't been the same for several years, but it's most likely from not working it, and having a partially torn rotator cuff.
Glad to hear you're doing better Kurt and Tom!

Back