Roczen

John250

PR Founding Father
Was reading on Vital MX where Roczen has had another surgery. They took a bone from a cadaver and are grafting it to his, and replaced his elbow bone with a cadaver. These surgeries to his arm, and the complications he has faced are serious.

I am not sure how anyone could really take the chances of racing at the level he needs to ride at to become competitive again. Amazes me to read peoples comments and say that he will be at A1 or back for the MEC. I will be surprised if he is back racing anytime before A1 2019. Injuries like his take MONTHS to heal and to get to a point where you could race competitively again.

I don't see how he can ever race again. I'm just hoping he will have full use of his arm again at some point in his life. I'm actually pretty worried for him at this point.

I don't see how he can ever race again. I'm just hoping he will have full use of his arm again at some point in his life. I'm actually pretty worried for him at this point.
I agree. At this point, just my opinion, I would be concerned about getting my arm healthy for the rest of my life. The other issue I would worry about, is what kind of impact or injury can the arm take again. Because if you ride motocross, you eventually going to fall back off that motorcycle.

Yep, it's just so much trauma to an isolated area. I just can't see it ever being 100%. I hope it is for his sake, and I'll be pulling for him to do so.

If you saw the interview in Florida (around the time of the Daytona SX) and saw him moving his bad arm around with his good arm, that arm looked dead. I can't see him ever coming back competitively.

He will be back, do you think they would be doing the next surgery if it would bring him back to racing? In his last post he said he would be back stronger than ever, said that arm would be the one he held up in his next win.

He is young and healthy, medicine has made great strides. His mental strength is what will be tested and it seems strong. No different that getting knees completely rebuilt and guys riding.

In order to keep motivated when recovering from an injury like that, he's gotta to stay positive and do his best at believing that he WILL be back again...or else he IS done. Positive comments he's making are part of that mindset. Hope he can do it!

I hope he heals 100%. I would just be worried about another injury, or if the arm could take another get off the bike.

Yep, it's just so much trauma to an isolated area. I just can't see it ever being 100%. I hope it is for his sake, and I'll be pulling for him to do so.
Come job shadow me one day I'll show you trauma. And the human body is resilient. Athletes, especially young athletes have insane ability to rally back to 100% function. If he was 80 he woulda died already of sepsis.

But there's always that chance that could be career ending. We just aren't used to seeing top pros land the big one. For as talented as he is, I hope he does well and recovers. That crash video still makes me cringe

Last edited:
I destroyed my right wrist/arm in 1990 in a crash. I went through multiple surgeries and months of therapy over a 3yr span for Dr's to get it where it is now, FUSED. I have movement with my fingers pretty good but lost about 30% of my strength in that arm. At times I do struggle riding with it.. I'm guessing things have gotten much better repairing something like this in the last 25yrs but my guess unfortunately Roczen is basically done. Ricky Johnson had a similar injury and he came back but it pretty much ended his career.

RJ's was his Narvicular in his wrist. I broke mine also. Took me 5 1/2 months for mine to heal.

Roczen's injury is bad. Arm, wrist, elbow. Each seem to have had a little issue of their own. As I mentioned. He may get to the point where he can ride again, but would it be even close to the same level??? That's the million dollar question. I also wonder if the strength would be there ever again, and like I said, I would be worried as hell if I would crash on that arm yet again, and the affects it had on the rest of my life.

I broke my navicular in my wrist too. Dr told me it would never be the same, limited range of motion and no strength. It's been 100% after the 1.5 year repairs and rehab.

Another thing to consider is everyone heals different. I think he is the type of person who wants to heal, wants to be a better racer than before. Only time will tell if his body is the type to heal 100%.

I hope so for his sake and ours, having him racing is a blessing for all of us!!!

Naviculars have come along way. First time I broke my left one in 98 I got a bone graf and huge scar. 6 months in a cast with a bone stimulator then about 2 months till I had strength to ride. Re broke it twice since then. Broke right one in 12' got it pinned no cast no scar and was riding in 2 months. No pain and not too much lose of movement. Always go to a sports doc

As hard as Stewart crashed all those years I can't believe he never broke a bone as bad as roczen. I wonder if he's gonna get Alzheimer's like football players.

I wonder if roczen woulda wiped the floor this season or if himnabs tomac would be battling.

He may be OK for his career and learn to adapt to anything that isn't, but when he gets older, as I was once told, he'll be hurting... I can see him coming back. To what extent will be the question. I think that if the arm does not inhibit him from riding as he did and/or wants to, he'll be on the top of the podium again. If he does, he'll be another RJ story...

Back