Warning - Graphic. Be careful working on your bikes!

Meister

PR Founding Father
So, I was working on my bike yesterday before heading to malvern for the first night race of the year. I was finishing up the new scheme which you can see in my other post. I was down to the finishing touches for the day and I was painting the dunlop logos on my tires with a paint marker. I had just finished the first coat on the front left side. I was sitting in front of the bike kinda knelt down. I turned the wheel to the left so I could get back to checking the right side to see if it was ready for a second coat. As a was rotating the wheel with my left hand to get the writing in better positiion to apply the paint, somehow my right hand was near the bottom of the fork lug. When I started rotating I felt a pinch on my right ring finger. It had barely gotten caught in the inside of the rotor and between the brake caliper bracket. Thought I just knicked myself. I looked down and seen my finger tip and nail just hanging there. Immediately ran inside and ran it under cold water, covered it in paper towel and duct taped it (well, my wife did).. I headed to the ER to see what they would do. As you can see, it was damn near clean off.Held on with about an 1/8" skin holding it on there. Right through the nail and everything. I ended up with 7 stitches for now and an appointment with a hand surgeon early this week. Theres a 50/50 chance of it surviving.

My point here is, even if your doing something simple with no tools, no stored energy, no knives, just stupid stuff with the bike. BE CAREFUL. Took me 31 years to finally get a stitch (countless broken bones and lacerations, but never had stitches). If you get queezy easy, dont look. If not, take a peak and see what can happen in a matter of seconds when doing something stupid in the garage.

Attachments

• finger.jpg
    finger.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 294
  • fingerstitch.jpg
    fingerstitch.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 243
Waiting for mx955 to fill in the blanks ...

You _______ fix _______!

You like these bizarre finger injuries. How bout that nail gun through the fingers ?!

This sport is so dangerous. When are they going to make those brake calipers more safe for people who....wait what the heck were you trying to do again LOL Sorry dude, it's been a long winter. Must be a sucky time to get injured.

The worst part at the hospital was the 2 antibiotic shots in my thighs.

Surgeon today at 2. Eeek

Damn dude...you should have known that since you felt it, it was going to be bad. I am sure you as I, most times you never even know you cut yourself until you see blood on the floor and you have to trace it back to your body... Hope all goes well chief. Thinking that fingertip's going to be gnarly for the duration regardless of what surgeon says. Bummer man. :(

Dr. Says it's surviving and should heal up over time. No surgery needed at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_20170424_163345181.jpg
    IMG_20170424_163345181.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 153
Unfortunately no. Mercy medical center sucks. I was probably getting stitched up about the time the first gate dropped.

Ooooh....I feel your pain.

I've had two finger tips on my left hand shredded open before from a simple mistake after working a 13hr day at work. Hand and finger accidents happens so fast and easy.

The worst part was when I tried to sleep that night, I could feel it throb every time my heart beat. And then there's the numbness from the severed nerves that takes years and years to go away.

Sorry to hear this. Hang in there. Let it heal.

got my left middle finger with my 65 ariens snowblower at the end of jan.kinda filet it from the inside of the first knuckle too the tip where it was still hanging on (stalled the snowblower),drove myself to the ER ,15 stitches later and 3 trips to a hand doctor I,m done,nail still working its way out and not a lot of feeling still I'm good

Finger, toe and joint injuries I don't wish on anyone.

Otherwise broken bones are cake as long as you don't move them n

Back