Just making sure... AMA/OMA question

4DAIVI PAI2K5

PR Addict
Wanting to make sure there is no odd ball rule out there in regards to Loretta's races and the up coming Battle races.

The boy just turned 6 and is qualified for the LL regional on the pw50 and 50Jr.

If he races the 50 jr (cobra 50jr) and 50 open (Cobra 50 Sr) The AMA wont say he can't race the pw50 or 50 Jr at the LL regional will they? I want to make sure him racing his big bike in a OMA/AMA event wont DQ him in the AMA's eyes to race in the other classes. I know at a strictly OMA is wouldn't matter but with the Battle races being OMA/AMA I thought I would ask.

There is a self advancement Youth rule in AMA in which if you move up you cannot move back. Not sure if this applies in your situation or not as the rule is centered around age. I would check with the AMA to be sure.

A rider’s age on Jan. 1 will determine their age for remainder of the year. A rider may move to the next higher age class in the Youth Division only if they will be eligible to do so at any time during the year. Once a rider moves to the next higher age class in AMA or non-AMA competition, they may not move back to the lower age class. Riders are encouraged to determine at the beginning of the points season/year the age class they will participate in for the points season/year. Points earned in a lower age class won't transfer to the higher age class. The AMA at its sole discretion, under special circumstances, may determine that non-AMA sanctioned events may be exempt from this rule.

50 open is age 4-8 I believe. Should be able to ride the Sr bike in the open as a 6 year old (still a jr) without any issues.

If you are worried, probably better ask someone more smarter than me....

Edit: 5 year old

Last edited:
There is a self advancement Youth rule in AMA in which if you move up you cannot move back. Not sure if this applies in your situation or not as the rule is centered around age. I would check with the AMA to be sure.
Assuming I can just Email or call the AMA on Monday?

I don't see it mattering but he is AMA 5 years old.

Will AMA have some one at the track? Maybe I can just ask an official there if getting them to respond by this weekend it to much to ask or them lol

Yep. Oma AMA cra outlaw Dave smith canal fultOn annual national....

If you can't find a definite answer just don't risk it. After the regional it's whatever. If you make it to the dude just stay on that pDub! Until August.

I spoke with Alexandra at the AMA. She advised he would be okay to race the 50Sr. in the open class. She says since it is all age based and the age for the open class is 4-8, it is not self advancement by age. She is emailing me so that I have it in writing also.

Thanks for the insight everyone.

Back