An Informal Look at AMA C Class (lengthy post)

This^ I see so many not ready to race. This is actually quite the problem at some level. Kids need to ride ride ride, just don't jump in with both feet, get hurt or discouraged the first time out.

Riding for a year isn't just starting out and jumping in with both feet. Todays C class is anything but a novice class. There is no place for a beginning racer to feel comfortable giving racing a try unless you are a 50cc rider. One more facet to the decline of mx racing.

Sharc.....you're killing me!!!! Lol

Riding for a year isn't just starting out and jumping in with both feet. Todays C class is anything but a novice class. There is no place for a beginning racer to feel comfortable giving racing a try unless you are a 50cc rider. One more facet to the decline of mx racing.

Sharc.....you're killing me!!!! Lol
This is why we have too many classes. The idea nowadays is to only race if you can be in a class you feel you can win in, so instead of one 50 class we have 4 or 5. Instead of one 65 class we have 2 or even 3 or better yet lets start a D class! Racing like most sports requires practice and hard work and even then you might have to come to terms with the fact you are only a mid-pack rider. Finishing mid-pack doesn't mean you deserve a class of your own so you can then finish up front or win. Train harder...want it more! When did it become a bad thing for a beginning racer to get last? I'm pretty sure the time commitment it takes to race MX hurts the sport more than little Johnny not having a 12 year old first year low income single parent trail bike faircross class (with participation awards).

This is why we have too many classes. The idea nowadays is to only race if you can be in a class you feel you can win in, so instead of one 50 class we have 4 or 5. Instead of one 65 class we have 2 or even 3 or better yet lets start a D class! Racing like most sports requires practice and hard work and even then you might have to come to terms with the fact you are only a mid-pack rider. Finishing mid-pack doesn't mean you deserve a class of your own so you can then finish up front or win. Train harder...want it more! When did it become a bad thing for a beginning racer to get last? I'm pretty sure the time commitment it takes to race MX hurts the sport more than little Johnny not having a 12 year old first year low income single parent trail bike faircross class (with participation awards).
Lmao.....there is a difference between coming in last place and being in the way, getting lapped 2 times and landed on off 100' step up triples all in the "Novice " class that is for beginner riders.

I NEVER said it had anything to do with wanting to win or get a trophy. Since you are new here I guess you wouldn't know I'm one who advocates the reduction of classes.

I'm killing you?

With those videos!!! I've seen some of them before and some I haven't. The kids and I love watching those things!!

The problem only lies on the ones trying for LL and know what they are doing.

Riders lay off on races to finish lower on purpose, they dont race C class locally and make sure, like in the example, that they only race 6 races instead of 7. In the example, the first rider did both of what I just mentioned.

Its a loophole that riders use to beat the system, technically not cheating but in reality it is.

Again, a simple look at lap times at area and regional qualifiers would fix the problem. I dont care if a rider is a first year 450 C, 250C or not, if they are running lap times as fast or faster than a majority of the B class then your out, you arent a "Novice" classified rider.
I can remember Ames and some outher fast B riders pull off on the white flag. All the time. LOL back in the day

I am one that always says there are too many classes. But the one class you do need is a D or true beginner class. 1st and second year riders. No bike size. True beginners. No points etc. I know some tracks run it, some don't.

I am one that always says there are too many classes. But the one class you do need is a D or true beginner class. 1st and second year riders. No bike size. True beginners. No points etc. I know some tracks run it, some don't.
The Kentucky series run's it. So does Early wine indoors

The last MX race I think i ran was Open C.... Probably about 9 years ago. I think I got 2nd. I wouldn't stand a chance in today's C class according to the videos I've watched. So my other choice is to get smoked by everyone in the +45 class.
C class should be for slow pokes like me, not whipping, triple hitting guys that turn laps faster than the bottom half of the B class.

Then the 37 c riders would stay home home.
I promise you Georgie we wouldn't, as a matter of fact, I would welcome the additional, faster riders, for Jonathan. The whole C rider thing is always a big topic but I think the class has just changed over the years just like everything else does in this world. Its not a beginner class since we have been involved in this sport it is a transition class from small bikes to big bikes unless you have been to Loretta's then its automatically on to B. Its like Jonathan and Trevor they are still at slightly different skill levels. Trevor has more time and experience than Jonathan and it shows on race day. We could all debate this forever but the way the C class is set up these days the top kids are fast as sh!t and some live at training camps...hmmm, living at a training camp definitely doesn't sound like a beginner to me but if they can do it more power to them. But we as shitty, slow Ohio riders do are best and will try to make some in roads at the Ranch, if we can. If he doesn't finish top whatever, oh well, I'll be proud that he made it with what we are able to do with-in the constraints of our time and budget and hopefully had made some great memories.

At Pavilion a few weeks ago there were 8 riders in 250B 37 riders in 250C and 31 in 250D. And 1 in 250A.

We have been saying this for years. I remember long ago racing 250 B at Bluegrass MX in Lexington, KY. We had like 3 in B, C and D were full classes. The front runner D riders were jumping a big triple they had. Specifically remember laughing about it, and this was 20 years ago. Daniel Boone was always the same way too.

I promise you Georgie we wouldn't, as a matter of fact, I would welcome the additional, faster riders, for Jonathan. The whole C rider thing is always a big topic but I think the class has just changed over the years just like everything else does in this world. Its not a beginner class since we have been involved in this sport it is a transition class from small bikes to big bikes unless you have been to Loretta's then its automatically on to B. Its like Jonathan and Trevor they are still at slightly different skill levels. Trevor has more time and experience than Jonathan and it shows on race day. We could all debate this forever but the way the C class is set up these days the top kids are fast as sh!t and some live at training camps...hmmm, living at a training camp definitely doesn't sound like a beginner to me but if they can do it more power to them. But we as shitty, slow Ohio riders do are best and will try to make some in roads at the Ranch, if we can. If he doesn't finish top whatever, oh well, I'll be proud that he made it with what we are able to do with-in the constraints of our time and budget and hopefully had made some great memories.
Bingo. That's exactly what it has become. A transition class to Big Bikes. Schoolboy used to be this, or when I was young it was 100cc schoolboy class then to B class.

I think part of it has to do with the practice day culture nowadays. Back in the day, there were very very few "open practice" days or tracks. We went racing, and that's how you got better. Now the true beginners go to practice days and ride for fun. If they decide to start racing, they usually come in with much more track time than times of yesteryears. C should be the novice class, but if there is no incentive for people to move up, then they won't.

OMA offers a D class, have for 2 years. Guess how many entries on Sunday?? A big fat zero. Talk amongst yourselves.

Back