It's Regional Time!

My issue with the money isn't that I can't afford it....It's whether I view the expense as a good value.

I'll give you an example. We took our side x side to an off-road park Saturday. Cost my wife 10$ and me 10$. Our two kids where free. Drove around on the trails and hung out with friends all day. Then we heard about the Fast Traxx race at the Hocking Fairgrounds. Stopped there on the way home because my son said he wanted to race it. Pulled up to the gate and they wanted 10$ per person. Normally I take the kids over to the fair if we do a fair race, but there was no fair going on. Looked like a small turnout and we were getting there last minute. 25 X 2 classes. Fast Traxx runs a one moto format. Now reality is setting in that I'm going to spend 90$ for my kid to run a 4 lap practice and two 4 lap motos. I said sorry bud, but I just can't get myself to do this. I'll take you to SVR tomorrow. (where we are members for 275$ a year and ride once a week)
Went to SVR on Sunday and rode half the day and everyone had tons of fun.

I get tired of the argument that you bought a 9000$ bike and sunk 1000$-2000$ into the suspension so you can afford to race. It's more about the perceived value.

We will probably be at Briarcliff this weekend because we like the track, facility and how it's run. I view it as a decent value. 90$ for 12 laps on a fair track....not so much.

Segregation between the little & big bikes is one of the reasons I find the Regionals so unique.
It's the only time (any more) that they can let the track develop throughout the day with out the impact of pee-wee's or quads.

Last edited:
Segregation between the little & big bikes one of the reasons I find the Regionals so unique.
It's the only time (any more) that they can let the track develop throughout the day with out the impact of pee-wee's or quads.

I will say the #1 best thing about youth regionals for me would be the sounds of 2 strokes all day long!! Music to my ears, especially the 125, super mini and school boy classes! Wow those kids can ride those things!!

Segregation between the little & big bikes one of the reasons I find the Regionals so unique.
BINGO
It is a constant walk on a tight rope as far as track prep for a youth regional is concerned. Cant rip it deep because every other class is a 50 class. Cant water too much if you don't rip it deep. Not enough water then the dust gets bad when its 90+ and 20 mph winds. Don't rip it enough then the 50's get stuck in the ruts. Rip it too often then lines can develop. Then rip it for 125's and they will only make a line on the inside and never develop an outside line...
For big bikes you can rip it deep, water the heck out of it and watch the lines develop from bale to bale. Throw more water on the ruts when they dry out and it gets even better.
My personal fav this weekend was the talk of "its too rough" Well if you think THAT was too rough, you will triple HATE the ranch.
If a kid get got 22nd then it was because the flagger did not do a good job, or the track was bad, or someone did not help him pick up the bike and help kick it. It was NEVER the racers fault.
As far as a "One line cow path" Someone forgot to tell #77 in the Schoolboy class that. Dude fell in the first turn and PASSED up to 7th the last I counted. Its only a cow path if you did not make a new line yourself.
Turn that thing in your right hand and point the bike where they aint... Good things will happen.

BINGO

My personal fav this weekend was the talk of "its too rough" Well if you think THAT was too rough, you will triple HATE the ranch.
Not really-
They make an extra effort for the 50's.
They move them around in the schedule for the best weather & prep opportunities.

The weekend at Pleasure Valley went very smoothly! Walked right up and through sign up no problem. I thought the track held up nicely throughout the weekend considering the weather conditions. The concrete starts killed us and as everyone at the Regional know it's all about the start! I can't complain though we came home in one piece so thankful for that. Michael ended up 8th in 250 A, David 10th in 250 C so beach vacation it may be! We shall see. Sometimes you never know who is running what class at LL and if it's meant to be it will be. We were close to the end of the race order and were done by 2:00 packed up and on the road by 3:15pm on Sunday. Very nice. All in All a good weekend of fun with friends and family!

The weekend at Pleasure Valley went very smoothly! Walked right up and through sign up no problem. I thought the track held up nicely throughout the weekend considering the weather conditions. The concrete starts killed us and as everyone at the Regional know it's all about the start! I can't complain though we came home in one piece so thankful for that. Michael ended up 8th in 250 A, David 10th in 250 C so beach vacation it may be! We shall see. Sometimes you never know who is running what class at LL and if it's meant to be it will be. We were close to the end of the race order and were done by 2:00 packed up and on the road by 3:15pm on Sunday. Very nice. All in All a good weekend of fun with friends and family!
Right on Gail!

I heard that PV was hit with rain early Sat A.M. too..

Eric Jeakle with some strong rides.... be' going to the ranch too...Way to go man. I know you've been working hard.

Reactions: 508
If a kid get got 22nd then it was because the flagger did not do a good job, or the track was bad, or someone did not help him pick up the bike and help kick it. It was NEVER the racers fault.

As far as a "One line cow path" Someone forgot to tell #77 in the Schoolboy class that. Dude fell in the first turn and PASSED up to 7th the last I counted. Its only a cow path if you did not make a new line yourself.
Turn that thing in your right hand and point the bike where they aint... Good things will happen.

I agree except for the 50cc class, those kids have always gotten extra help only because of their age and size. And you of all people defending flagger safety after 200+ rants from you on how they dont do a good job????

And yes, Maley was on fire as were a few others. But Maley also got punted off the track trying to make passes, one in the rollers. You dont see that near as much at tracks that are super wide with more lines.

I agree except for the 50cc class, those kids have always gotten extra help only because of their age and size. And you of all people defending flagger safety after 200+ rants from you on how they dont do a good job????

And yes, Maley was on fire as were a few others. But Maley also got punted off the track trying to make passes, one in the rollers. You dont see that near as much at tracks that are super wide with more lines.

For sure some of the flaggers were lost at best. A few would have been better off just riding straight past the fair grounds on their road bikes. But they were also under VERY specific order NOT to help. Just wave the flag and an AMA official would be there to give assistance IF warranted. Only help if a kid is pinned under the bike and getting burnt.

And if you want more lines. Make one yourself. There is another 20 feet of track outside of the one line everyone was waiting on. It was only ripped a few inches. but riders were treating the middle of the corners like there was a firing squad waiting on them if they ventured off.

I have been struggling with the decision to type this for the last 24 hours I'll try to keep it as constructive and informal as I can:

The good----
1.The majority of the atmosphere at the track.
2.The effort from the majority of the crew. I can see they are learning
every time they do it and gaining experience.
3.The facility.
4. The genuine desire to want to produce a better product, I thank the
crew for that.

Here comes the constructive criticism part----
1.Hire more people for a short period of time during the anticipated busy time at track entry and sign up.

2.Start processes earlier with the anticipation you will run into issues that will take longer than anticipated.

3.The decision to start practice outside the apex of the first turn, in my opinion was not a good one.

4.The preparation of the dirt in my opinion is most likely the root of most disgruntled patrons. I believe the dirt prep. was inconsistent and untimely on many occasions.

I know you are learning and getting better every time you do it, unfortunately your first regional was like a first date and most of us know what happens when you make a bad impression on the first date!

I really hope you get another chance at it. I believe with the lessons learned and the correct people in place you guys have a great chance to be one of the best youth regionals.

Back