VMD Update...

Ohio bike week has become a very large 10 day rally. They have tons of rides, swap meets, vendors, flat track races, stunt shows, demo bikes, etc etc etc. And it is a huge party also with yes Beer and music. My point is, this is a HUGE event in the AMAs backyard I would hope they would be all over it. Hell hotels in Sandusky during bike week go for more than Daytona bike week hotels, it is crazy.

This event brings in tons of tourism and revenue to the state of Ohio. VMD is big for vintage racing, bike shows and swap meet, but nothing compared to Ohio Bike week for 10 days If some of the tracks up in that area were smart they would get on board and have a motocross, harescrable or something both weekends of bike week. This year it ran from May 26 to June 4th. Calendar stacked with events each day.

Why are we talking about Ohio Bike Week anyway?

A promotion about AMA Vintage Days turns into a thread about fat dudes on harleys with no helmets (I'm assuming)? Seriously? Who freaking cares? I ride dirt bikes and will be at AMA VMD.

But will you bring your tube sock and 6 foot trophy ?!

But will you bring your tube sock and 6 foot trophy ?!

Really?? And people want to knock on guys on their Harleys. Hate to say it, but the guys on Harleys do more for their communities, charities and more to stimulate the economy than the motocross crowd. I am lucky enough to be in both crowds and hate the stereo types by people.

So, anybody doing the pit bike race, holeshot competition or the free for all race around the barrels this year? I'm getting my Hodaka shined up :)

I've seen the pics on your FB page of your Harley crowd. Not a single helmet, not even you. Why do you where a helmet when riding on soft dirt but not on ashpalt? Is it only because tracks require helmets?
The pics of your riding group are almost always a group of bikers with no helmets on their bikes, followed by pics of all of you at bars.

Just sayin.....

Hey now, spending cash at the bars is just their way of stimulating the economy. Imagine the fun of getting soused and then hopping on ultra loud bikes for that helmet-less ride to the next bar.

To each their own man. People make their own choices. I am just saying, that people enjoy motorcycles in many different ways. But most are not what you think. And yeah, I like to have a beer or two also. Not sure what your point is. I see photos of people doing donuts and other crap at VMD without helmets too, and just guessing the guy with the sock on is c**k had a few beers too.

I want to ride one - !!!
https://instagram.com/p/BVDDc4SBlPo/
BVDDc4SBlPo

We will have Zero there for Street Demos, KTM is bringing their street Demos and I believe someone else on the Street side. GasGas will have enduro bikes and trial bikes for Demos in the off-road area. Which I'm hearing (not confirmed) Damon Bradshaw might be making a appearance. Fingers crossed on that one.

Alta's Demo fleet is pretty much on the west coast at this time... we've had discussion but it's not going to work out for this year.

One of the cool things we are doing different is the "Hanger" Area with the Bike Show. This is for all bikes.. not just Vintage and Post Vintage. Also our participants of the bike show are permitted to park in our infield area to give that 'cool pits' feel.

We would like to close the bike show Pre-registration on July 1. Again Bike Show participants receive a special infield parking spot. Reserve your spot today..

More Information and Entry Form: https://fs4.formsite.com/AMARacing/form51/index.html

So this is one of those good news.. bad news for some. Either way I think it's good news..

As most of you know... VMD is held where the old Motocross Track was located at the Mid-Ohio Car Course. It's now a grass covered parking lot, which for Vintage racing makes some sense. Since the extreme growth of our Non-Current classes (1998 and older) and the post vintage classes, we have been putting pressure on Mid-Ohio to develop some track infrastructure. We partner with Mid-Ohio on this event, they're responsible for providing the property ready to race. We (log road) layout the track. The track is weak is a under statement for post-vintage classes and this is our national championship. So again, we've put alot of pressure on Mid-Ohio to do something about it.

We got some interesting news... Land Rover does demos on off-road terrain. They are building infrastructure currently for those demos happening next weekend (hills, berms, etc). This gives us the opportunity to layout the track with some actual infrastructure, supposely they build a 30 ft anthill type elevation for land rover, which is cool for a dirt bike and we have the ability to knock down anything that doesn't work. Which gives us more options to layout the track without using the bad stuff. I'm a little nervous about the rocks in the area but speaking with the respresentative from Land Rover, he's a AMA life member and Ahrma member who races Post Vintage in California. So he understands what our needs are and going to help us out. The infrastructure will stay year to year.

Either way I believe this is positive and adds another element to the event. I know some Vintage racers might be nervous, please know we have your best interests in mind. Once we get out there, we'll know what we're dealing with. Pre-Enter today... Pre-Entry goes July 4th. https://secure.tracksideprereg.com/amavintage/

Sounds cool Alex. Thanks for all the hard work.

FWIW --- I know the track is "weak" compared to something like Unadilla, but I honestly always end up having a lot of fun racing on it. The people that complain will always find a reason to complain.

Alex, thanks for the update...sounds like good news to me! Will the Vintage riders be using the same track as PV on Sunday or do you think there will be tweaks made between the two days? You mentioned that you were concerned with rocks in the area of the track...are you referring to some sort of rock that was brought in for the Land Rover folks? Or, just referring to the usual gravel that's been in the area for quite some time? Thanks for all your work on VMD!

Back