Big Changes for the VMD Motocross track for 2017

Alex186

PR Member
So this is one of those good news.. bad news for some. Either way I think it's good news..

As most of you know... VMD is held where the old Motocross Track was located at the Mid-Ohio Car Course. It's now a grass covered parking lot, which for Vintage racing makes some sense. Since the extreme growth of our Non-Current classes (1998 and older) and the post vintage classes, we have been putting pressure on Mid-Ohio to develop some track infrastructure. We partner with Mid-Ohio on this event, they're responsible for providing the property ready to race. We (log road) layout the track. The track is weak is a under statement for post-vintage classes and this is our national championship. So again, we've put alot of pressure on Mid-Ohio to do something about it.

We got some interesting news... Land Rover does demos on off-road terrain. They are building infrastructure currently for those demos happening next weekend (hills, berms, etc). This gives us the opportunity to layout the track with some actual infrastructure, supposely they build a 30 ft anthill type elevation for land rover, which is cool for a dirt bike and we have the ability to knock down anything that doesn't work. Which gives us more options to layout the track without using the bad stuff. I'm a little nervous about the rocks in the area but speaking with the respresentative from Land Rover, he's a AMA life member and Ahrma member who races Post Vintage in California. So he understands what our needs are and going to help us out. The infrastructure will stay year to year.

Either way I believe this is positive and adds another element to the event. I know some Vintage racers might be nervous, please know we have your best interests in mind. Once we get out there, we'll know what we're dealing with.

Don't forget we've added property for a grass track section for Hare Scrambles.

Pre-Enter today... Pre-Entry goes July 4th. https://secure.tracksideprereg.com/amavintage/

Sounds cool Alex. Thanks for all the hard work.

FWIW --- I know the track is "weak" compared to something like Unadilla, but I honestly always end up having a lot of fun racing on it. The people that complain will always find a reason to complain.

Ugh!! Really appreciate the hard work Alex and I'm totally bummed I can't race it this year. I will be there cheering on the racers though.

Ugh!! Really appreciate the hard work Alex and I'm totally bummed I can't race it this year. I will be there cheering on the racers though.

Why won't you be riding? Surely you've not sold all your old bikes?

I posted this on the main board too but what the heck, I'll double post it...

Alex, thanks for the update...sounds like good news to me! Will the Vintage riders be using the same track as PV on Sunday or do you think there will be tweaks made between the two days? You mentioned that you were concerned with rocks in the area of the track...are you referring to some sort of rock that was brought in for the Land Rover folks? Or, just referring to the usual gravel that's been in the area for quite some time? Thanks for all your work on VMD!

We will have to wait and see what the "damage" is once we get there. Either way Log Road is coming to build the track and is bringing equipment. We'll make sure to have fun, vintage friendly course for you guys.

Don't forget also... 50cc PW class on both Saturday and Sunday is completely Free. It's a exhibition type class. Make sure to spread the word...

Even if you're not riding.. come hangout and bring some bikes for the bike show. Free to all AMA members.

And as for rocks... I was speaking more about the gravel type rocky dirt. I wasn't very happy hearing the rocks dinging off my forks and pipe last year. From what it sounds like, Land rover might build a small rock crawling section, we will obviously avoid that area.

I have a meeting planned onsite I believe next week, I'll post some photos.

Severe concussion at Unadilla, doc says 6-8 weeks off the bike minimum.

Bummer, I didn't know you had that going on Dave. Have you had any in the past?

In the last 35 years I've had at least a half dozen bad concussions where I was out for a bit each time. Almost gave up dirt bike riding a few years ago after the last one as I was getting worried about my noggin, instead I decided to ride mellow and avoid falling on my head. So far I've managed to ride safe and also bought a 6D helmet.

Looks like Land Rover left us a present to play on July 7-9...

upload_2017-6-22_22-14-25.png

I decided to ride mellow and avoid falling on my head. So far I've managed to ride safe and also bought a 6D helmet.

Wow Mooch.... I can only imagine what you were like in the days that you were racing wild and aggressive.
Currently in racing Post Vintage, you still routinely get the hole-shot, and no matter how good I might think I am riding on that day, you are always near the front or leading the pack.

Bummer, I didn't know you had that going on Dave. Have you had any in the past?

In the last 35 years I've had at least a half dozen bad concussions where I was out for a bit each time. Almost gave up dirt bike riding a few years ago after the last one as I was getting worried about my noggin, instead I decided to ride mellow and avoid falling on my head. So far I've managed to ride safe and also bought a 6D helmet.

Mooch, yes I've had several in the past too but not to the extent of this one where I had no memory or recollection of how it happened. I remember leaving the starting gate and then "waking up" in Cooperstown ER wondering where I am and how I got there. My friend John said I kept complaining about the neck collar they had on me and I repeatedly asked how Jeff Pape did at the Ironman Regional but I don't recall any of that. I received a CT scan, X-rays etc and don't remember any of it. I was discharged about 5 pm and vaguely remember any of that as well.

Mike asked:
Any additional damage? Take it easy, don't rush your return.

Yes I banged up my left wrist again. To add insult to the concussion I was at my daughters fast pitch softball game that following Friday. Sitting in my lawn chair minding my own business, the pitcher was doing warm ups near me and the catcher missed the ball that ended up striking me in the left temple (same side I hit at Unadilla). I blanked out for a few minutes and almost vomited but managed to keep it down. It came out of nowhere and hurt like hell! It's been about a month and I still get headaches frequently. I'm hoping to be able to ride VETFEST and then do the AHRMA round at Red Bud in September.

Wow Mooch.... I can only imagine what you were like in the days that you were racing wild and aggressive.
Currently in racing Post Vintage, you still routinely get the hole-shot, and no matter how good I might think I am riding on that day, you are always near the front or leading the pack.

Haha, no I've alwasy been pretty mediocre and my approach has always been to get a good start and then try not to work my ways back. Now, I just don't try quite as hard to not work my ways backward. :)

Mooch, yes I've had several in the past too but not to the extent of this one where I had no memory or recollection of how it happened. I remember leaving the starting gate and then "waking up" in Cooperstown ER wondering where I am and how I got there. My friend John said I kept complaining about the neck collar they had on me and I repeatedly asked how Jeff Pape did at the Ironman Regional but I don't recall any of that. I received a CT scan, X-rays etc and don't remember any of it. I was discharged about 5 pm and vaguely remember any of that as well.

Yes I banged up my left wrist again. To add insult to the concussion I was at my daughters fast pitch softball game that following Friday. Sitting in my lawn chair minding my own business, the pitcher was doing warm ups near me and the catcher missed the ball that ended up striking me in the left temple (same side I hit at Unadilla). I blanked out for a few minutes and almost vomited but managed to keep it down. It came out of nowhere and hurt like hell! It's been about a month and I still get headaches frequently. I'm hoping to be able to ride VETFEST and then do the AHRMA round at Red Bud in September.

Wow, I had no idea you had rung your bell that hard...very sorry to hear that! Huge bummer with the timing of that poorly thrown softball too, batting helmet for future softball spectating? I know what you mean by the feeling like you're going to throw up, it just comes on ultra quick sometimes after a concussion. After my very first concussion back in 1987, I was out for a few minutes and then talking dorky when I woke up. Friend took me to the ER and while getting examined they asked me if I had any nausea, up until that moment I felt no nausea but right after they asked I immediately had to grap the trash can to throw up in ...weird. The last big concussion I had, I also broke 4 ribs and was doing a lot of throwing up for a day or so...terrible combo for the ribs.

Stay off your head and hope your head and wrist feel better soon!

It's been about 5 years now since my last good hit but It scared the hell out of Nancy, and me too just to be honest about it.

She immediately noticed the strange behavior and I had never experienced the short term memory loss like that. It's an eye opener for sure when you realize what has just happened to you.
With my bike laying on the track where I crashed, I was walking to the truck wondering how I got to my buddies track. And then in my confusion decided, (I'm not sure how I got here but I miss might as well ride while I'm here.) I had blood running down my cheek and a slight jaw bone fracture and didn't even realize it. Walked toward the truck, turned back to the bike, then back to the truck again. Within a few minutes a knew I was fxxked up, and immediately was trying to pretend that I wasn't so Nancy wouldn't pick up on it. But she did.

Since then, reflecting back I recall other occasions when I've had hits that were concussions. One particular occasion was when I was a teenager we did a lot of boxing at home in our garage, and my older brother knocked me out once.

Take care and be patient with this Dave, it's too important to hastily rush the healing.

Last edited:
Back