NQ1965/Mike

KRH

PR Member
Here's the pic of the Rear wheel/shock setup on the MX360. It's a 1980/81 KX125-KDX175 wheel assembly (used the KX125 axle) and it's 8 or so pounds lighter than the original. Bolted right up, no modifications and you even get to keep the floating brake.
The Works shocks are sweet. Huge improvement.
IMG_2438.JPG

I really need to weigh this thing just to see where it's at compared to stock.

Kevin.

Reactions: k01
The place that I noticed the biggest difference (besides jumps), was how the rear end stayed hooked up going hard into corners. The shocks seem to make the rear wheel dig in a little better without the squatting and bottoming out. I didn't realize how bad it was until, I think it was KO, mentioned it to me watching me race. I then noticed it while I was riding.

It also made me notice even more clear the shortcomings of the front forks. The fork leg brace helped there.

Definitely a good decision considering how hard your boy races your bikes.
You got me itching really bad to get rid of my heavy stock rims. Looks Good!

He said the same thing. Much less squirrelly and no hint of death dance. I put Race Tech emulators in the forks right from the beginning. They are some of the best money spent on a vintage bike, really makes the forks work well, and they're adjustable.
I still need to change the front wheel to a shoulderless rim, that's not going to happen till later.

Anyway, we're ready for VMD. Motor home's all cleaned and ready (needs washed still) bikes are ready, tickets and camping pass in hand. So ready.

Kevin

Never thought about the Emulators for the forks.
I've actually got a KDX175 wheel on the shelf of my barn, just needs new spokes. May need to do some work here.

And the last improvement before VMD are these:

IMG_2612.JPG

These were in our stash of spares, so they got cut up and welded on the original peg pivots. A vast improvement over those goofy originals, I think. We'll see. I love this stuff.

I'm on the look out for an early YZ or IT 250 or 400 front wheel up to about '79 or so to put on it.

Most of the weight with the 360 is in the motor. I took the motor out of one mine this winter so jeffro667 could rebuild the transmission. The rolling chassis seemed almost feather light. Lol! Eliminating unsprung weight should help if that wheel assembly is up to the job. Sure looks like a Yamaha part in the photo. The suspension on my 360's isn't great but those bikes handle well. One has YZ forks and they feel kind of flimsy compared to the MX forks but both bikes are super stable. Your pegs have made it into the 80's! Mine have that welded over the stock ones.
If I get out this year though, it will be on the 400. It's a blast to ride!
2017-04-03 13.19.10.jpg

The motors are ridiculously heavy. I've taken out the all of the bearings and bushings for the omni phase balancer and even cut out the pockets for them. I've ported the jug and cut the offset off of it so the bore is now in the center and I'm running a 79 YZ400 head which is lighter than the original. All this stuff probably didn't save much weight, but it makes me feel good, like I'm at least trying.
I need to weigh it to see how much lighter than advertised weight we are. Or maybe I don't want to know?

Kevin

I need to weigh it to see how much lighter than advertised weight we are. Or maybe I don't want to know?
Lol!
2017-06-23 16.13.03.jpg

The balancer out of mine. Feels like a couple of pounds? And the bad shift drum feels about the same. All adds up but at least the weight is close to the ground. A foot of travel on both ends and the old MX would be a nightmare to handle!

Then you add the chain and idlers and all the rest of the related trinkets. I wonder who thought that thing was a good idea?

When I started asking around about the Works shocks a bunch of people told me to go with 14 inch c to c shocks. I think the longer shock would upset the geometry of the bike. To stay AHRMA legal they can only have four inches of travel anyway, so all it would do is raise the rear of the bike. My son tells me the bike handled great as it was so I kept the shock length at 13 1/2. Mike's experience sold me on them. Lower is better for these beasts.

As a fellow 360 owner I'd really like for you to take a ride on it and tell me what you think, KO. Do you go to Vintage Days? Mike, you're welcome to take it for a ride if you want.

Kevin

Back