Damn Strays....

Vet261

PR Addict
Another one followed me home.

20170624_195738.jpg
20170624_164432.jpg

Details requested.

It was on Ebay, located in Michigan. Looked nice, at least nice enough for the right price.

Anyway, so fast forward to Saturday, we have a big group riding up in Michigan at a practice track, and I happen to check and the bike is located 40 minutes away and ending at like 1pm. I message the owner asking if I win it can I pick it up that day and he responds and says yes.

So I won it for $948.26 and went and picked it up. He handed me a folder of receipts totaling about $1650 for the parts he put on it.

Wonder why he didn't set a reserve price so that he could at least recoup some of his costs?
Nice bike, good deal, and worked out well for you.

"Hi, my name is John and I'm ready to admit I have a problem."

Another feral RM followed me home.

First of all, I'm a sucker for original, unmolested bikes, no matter what brand. I've done enough frame up restorations to appreciate a bike that is a time-capsule without ever having crescent wrenches and channel locks touch it.

Second, I've been wanting a 98 RM125 ever since I sold Beenridin the 96 RM125 I restored.

Third, I just came from VMD where a nearly brand new 97 RM125 was there for my taking, but I didn't want to spend the $2500 to get it because I knew it would never be worth that again once I started riding it.

Lastly, I sold two bikes at VMD and you know how that goes.....I now have extra money and space.

For those CL browsers out there, this bike will look familiar. It started showing up over the winter and the owner was asking way too much money for it and basically firm on his price. It has floated around back and forth on there for months, and when I came home from VMD after passing on the 97 RM125, suddenly this thing popped up on my screen again.

I contacted the owner, and this is where the deal basically was sealed -- I found out it was like 5 miles away from me. A basically brand new 98 RM125 for sale about 5 miles from my house. There was no way I was talking myself out of it.

I paid less than what the 97 RM125 sold for at VMD, but still paid more than I will ever be able to sell it for once I start riding it. Oh well. I now have matching 98's --- 125 & 250.

I'm pretty sure I was the first person to wash this bike. It has been ridden over the years only in a grass yard. Was covered in garage dust. I took the seat off (I think I was the first person to ever remove the seat bolts) and the air filter looked like it just came from the dealer. I then reached down and touched the filter and it crumbled under my finger, haha. So I cleaned that all out and I'm waiting for a new filter to arrive before firing it up.

20170711_193411.jpg
20170711_193318.jpg
20170711_193313.jpg

Last edited:
Nice score.
How does someone buy a new brand new dirt bike and never ride it? I don't get it.

I actually know of another time capsule sitting out there. A friend of mine bought a 1997 CR125 brand new from Honda of Troy in 1997. He put less than 5 hours on it and it's still just sitting on a stand in his garage 100% original. I've tried to get him to sell it to me a couple times but he says he likes looking at it in the garage.

Reactions: DTS
I actually know of another time capsule sitting out there. A friend of mine bought a 1997 CR125 brand new from Honda of Troy in 1997. He put less than 5 hours on it and it's still just sitting on a stand in his garage 100% original. I've tried to get him to sell it to me a couple times but he says he likes looking at it in the garage.

Did he have another bike to ride?

Back