What's the first track you ever raced at?

Dane Leimbach was another
Along with George Singler, but I didn't see George in his riding prime, more when he was the promoter of Smith Rd.

Last edited:
Growing up as a member of Amherst Meadowlarks and being so close to the KTM Factory in Amherst made it easy to ride KTM's because all of those old woods guys worked there and liked that I was riding them at the local MX races. Rod Bush (the President of KTM America back in those days) used to throw me a pair of KTM Pants or a jersey here or there when he would see me at Meadowlarks riding. I had a 1984 KTM 125 MX, and then a 1985 KTM 125 MX that I Rode through the 1987 season. In 1988 I started riding 250's. But most of my racing in the early days were hare scrambles at Amherst Meadowlarks and riding in the woods. They used to run the track down the fence go behind the club house, drop into the pipe that runs under the driveway and drop out of the pipe into the creek as part of the hare scramble course. It was kind of fun as a kid to ride in that stuff, and all those Penton / KTM enduro guys would ride there and were amazing in the woods. They really started off as an Enduro / Harescramble / Six Days company here when the Penton Family was in charge. Over the years, all of the KTM people took pretty good care of me because I was a local boy riding their bikes in the MX scene way before it was popular to do so. My 2000 520 SX was the first KTM four stroke released to the public, only the factory riders had them when I got mine in the fall of 1999 and people would ask me about the bike and how I got it. It was light years ahead of it's time with that motor!

Hi-Point 1978 on a 1975 RM125 with the down pipe.
A friends dad took me also letting me ride his 1975 Maico 250 so in an actual race was the first time I rode a 250!
My buddy had a 1977 Maico 250 back then and always though it was awesome his dad rode also.

Buckeye Raceway which was later called Entertainment USA on Rt 422 in 1980. Had a rubberband for a starting line. Not pleasant if you tried to jump the start. First race sitting on the starting line and when the rub

Buckeye Raceway which was later called Entertainment USA on Rt 422 in 1980. Had a rubberband for a starting line. Not pleasant if you tried to jump the start. First race sitting on the starting line and when the rub
I was wondering what that place was called.....my dad took us to watch my uncle race once in the 70’s, but I think he injured himself. I only remember the sound of it all.

There was a place in Austinburg Ohio. Anyone have an idea what it was called? The ground still has old remnants of a motocross Park. It’s right along snow mobile trails now.

46016300_10216186831519402_8313844701119643648_n.jpg

Was not my first race. Actually my second year. But take a look at some of the names on this... Just a normal Saturday night at Dirt Country in 1981.

Oh, and yes. That is 14 total classes... 4 were A classes.

Was not my first race. Actually my second year. But take a look at some of the names on this... Just a normal Saturday night at Dirt Country in 1981.

DC was still running a 200 class in '81? That class seemed to be going away when I last raced in '79.

Alright mr 1985. Change your avatar. Too modern for you.

My first MX race was at Sandusky speedway sometime around 2001. They had a small track in the middle of the speedway and raced on Friday nights, under the lights. I was mid 30's, and went with my son who wanted to race. It was on a DRZ250. Had ridden bikes in the fields and yards my whole childhood, but first official MX race was at Sandusky.

My first MX race was at Sandusky speedway sometime around 2001. They had a small track in the middle of the speedway and raced on Friday nights, under the lights. I was mid 30's, and went with my son who wanted to race. It was on a DRZ250. Had ridden bikes in the fields and yards my whole childhood, but first official MX race was at Sandusky.

Lot of memories at that track!

Back