What's the first track you ever raced at?

I dunno Marc the chics riding them things are fuggin hot. Just like the majority of those women at that pool party you go to annually. I think your motivation by cool s**t is:

1. Are hot girls doing it?
2. Is it fun?

Meet that criteria and you own it.

How else do you decide what to do? I like that system.

So back on topic. Some details about my first race at Smith.
I was in the mini class. By age. And my brother was also in same class on his Yamaha MX80 that we crammed a new Hodaka 100 engine in. Mike has the Yamaha 80 engine now.

There were about 7 of us and we went around the first corner ( island) and back toward the hill and my brother cartwheeled and got tangled up in it and never rode or raced again.

My 1st and 2nd bike. How we vet riders still have teeth is mind boggling! Lol!

Attachments

• B82D5F5E-33E7-4DED-A417-9379B5BF9663.jpeg
    B82D5F5E-33E7-4DED-A417-9379B5BF9663.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 176
Amherst Meadowlarks 1984, 125 Schoolboy class.

I'm on the right side of the photo, the only Suzuki of course (1982 RM125). Rocket Robin on KTM with no numbers. Dale Spangler on the right side of photo with yellow plates and green helmet, getting ready to smoke all of us.

firstrace.jpg

My 1st and 2nd bike. How we vet riders still have teeth is mind boggling! Lol!
Most of my grill is fake.
Bashed out my first tooth while playing / stepping on a rake and catching the handle with my hand.
Thought I had it down to the point I could start showing off....
Looked around for an audience and came back to stance.
Hit it extra hard for show... only to miss and have the handle squarely smack my face

I bet my dad and I were there that day. To me seems like yesterday lol!!!

Amazing how you can remember the atmosphere. The flags and such.....really cool.

I bet my dad and I were there that day. To me seems like yesterday lol!!!

Amazing how you can remember the atmosphere. The flags and such.....really cool.
For a few years there as I just learned about racing we went there all the time. James some how found that place and we went every chance we could. His mom was pulling some seriously over weight old all steel box trailer with her Cougar at first. We drove right past OIR on 5 many times before we knew it was there.

Amherst Meadowlarks 1984, 125 Schoolboy class.

I'm on the right side of the photo, the only Suzuki of course (1982 RM125). Rocket Robin on KTM with no numbers. Dale Spangler on the right side of photo with yellow plates and green helmet, getting ready to smoke all of us.

View attachment 59653

OK, I love that Picture, I bet Dave Dolesh is on a KX in that picture. I had just gotten that 1984 KTM 125 MX with the upside down forks, and about 25 years before KTM's became cool on an MX track!!! Do you think Kawasaki's were the bike to have back then????

Most of my grill is fake.
Bashed out my first tooth while playing / stepping on a rake and catching the handle with my hand.
Thought I had it down to the point I could start showing off....
Looked around for an audience and came back to stance.
Hit it extra hard for show... only to miss and have the handle squarely smack my face
Turns out 1982 was one of the best 125’s they ever built. I had one too

Great Catch there Sharc, Yes I have the plastic Red and Blue Scott boots on back then. I had to ride in those to make sure I never broke a foot or ankle or else my mom would have outlawed riding altogether for me (I wasn't supposed to be racing at all, only riding) and keep me from getting hurt and not being able to play ice hockey in the fall / winter. It's is also the reason I started on the KTM's (the only KTM 125 at any race that I went to), because they looked just like my dad's bike (KTM 250) and he always had a race bike and practice bike with #163 on them, and he started bringing just my bike and his home for the races and they looked the same. Again, the reason I had to be 163, to match my dad's bikes so that my mom couldn't tell that I had a bike on the trailer. Then it stuck, and we're both still running #163 on our bikes now! Some of the funny things that lead to life long #'s for you have reasons that you might have never guessed.

Great Catch there Sharc, Yes I have the plastic Red and Blue Scott boots on back then. I had to ride in those to make sure I never broke a foot or ankle or else my mom would have outlawed riding altogether for me (I wasn't supposed to be racing at all, only riding) and keep me from getting hurt and not being able to play ice hockey in the fall / winter. It's is also the reason I started on the KTM's (the only KTM 125 at any race that I went to), because they looked just like my dad's bike (KTM 250) and he always had a race bike and practice bike with #163 on them, and he started bringing just my bike and his home for the races and they looked the same. Again, the reason I had to be 163, to match my dad's bikes so that my mom couldn't tell that I had a bike on the trailer. Then it stuck, and we're both still running #163 on our bikes now! Some of the funny things that lead to life long #'s for you have reasons that you might have never guessed.

That is the most awesome story I have ever heard.... ha ha

My first race was at Nickles cycle ranch in Milan, Ohio in 1972 , I was amazed by those Penton boys and this old guy Jack Horniack was his name I think.

Back