Yamaha 407 (28%)
Kawasaki 200 (14%)
Husqvarna 118 (8%)
Cobra 100 (7%)
Honda 85 (6%)
Suzuki 74 (5%)
TM 5 (0.3%)
Other 4 (0.3%)

Hard to believe that there are only 85 total Hondas in all the classes. Obviously all the fast guys are riding Orange and Blue bikes these days. Makes you wonder what the total market share is by brand. Similar to these numbers?

Interesting but Ktms mini fleet really skews those numbers favorably. As far as Honda, they really don't provide much for the mini classes, I'm sure that's why the numbers seem so shifted. Gotta have a horse in all stables though.

Adjust for all big bikes and the numbers may be more even, though ktm and yami would definitely still out number em all.

Based on entries at Loretta's:

KTM 458 (32%)
Yamaha 407 (28%)
Kawasaki 200 (14%)
Husqvarna 118 (8%)
Cobra 100 (7%)
Honda 85 (6%)
Suzuki 74 (5%)
TM 5 (0.3%)
Other 4 (0.3%)

Hard to believe that there are only 85 total Hondas in all the classes. Obviously all the fast guys are riding Orange and Blue bikes these days. Makes you wonder what the total market share is by brand. Similar to these numbers?

All the fast guys don't just ride orange. Red, Yellow, and Green havent mfg. a 125 since 2007. Blue, Yellow, Red have no 2 Stroke 50 or 65.
Also didn't Team Green sweep a supermini or 85 class yesterday? 85 (9-11) 5 out of top 6 were Green.
250A 1,2,3 Yamaha, 4 Kawasaki.
Top 13 Collage Boy all Japanese.
Top 5 in +50 All Japanese.
Looks like the A and B classes are mostly on Japanese bikes.
The list goes on. Figure top 3's by mfg. and remove the two sizes where there are no Japanese representations. Now who is on top?
Green?

Last edited:
That's obvious though, Team Green has always thrown a ton of money into the Amateurs for Lorettas. So does not surprise me that they have bikes in the top 3. I am surprised by the lack of KTMs in the 50 classes. The new KTMs and Huskys are good 50 bikes. But yet Cobra has 95% of the field. Just my opinion, the Cobras were POSs that you had to constantly work on......no thanks.

That's obvious though, Team Green has always thrown a ton of money into the Amateurs for Lorettas. So does not surprise me that they have bikes in the top 3. I am surprised by the lack of KTMs in the 50 classes. The new KTMs and Huskys are good 50 bikes. But yet Cobra has 95% of the field. Just my opinion, the Cobras were POSs that you had to constantly work on......no thanks.

Fail. Here is your history lesson in motocross for the day. (I kinda feel like Bruce for a quick second....not nowhere near as knowledgeable tho. But I think I got this one nailed down...here goes)

Bud mamone was sick and tired of fixing his kids italijet that broke every weekend at pymatunjng holeshot raceway, western reserve and other local cra tracks in 1991.

So he made his own bike.

Took it down to the ranch and kicked everyone's ass on it. And the modern 50cc was born. It started with the BM50. Brent mamone 50. And later he released the CM50. Corey mamone 50 named after his sons....

That's why there's 95% cobras on the line. If ya ain't on a cobra you don't win. Bud started that and he's a legend for it. Cobras are American made and very reliable. Eat a sock John!

I remember going to buds house where he would put 4 together a day. He would make 50 a year for the first couple years. I think I had the 33rd one ever made. And my dad and I was over at buds house watching at that time history being made. But we didn't know it then....

And bud hand built the machine that I beat alessi (he had a LEM with ktm graphics) on in Ponca city. Cobras are Junk tho. My dad sold that bike $5,500 in 1996 after Ponca . How bout that for market value ?!?!

Last edited:
Just a few years ago, there were quite a few KTMs in the 50 class. I know a lot of people when Matthew was on 50s that had Cobra's, and the were all constantly working on them. Matthews KTMs were pretty bullet proof and were did not have near the issues. To this day, I would not buy a Cobra.

Ya know what's funny? Last year Suzuki took a vote at LL to see who would buy a RM 125. Then mx sports made 125 cc more marketable through the class structure and class restrictions. Hmmmm. I wonder how big a check Suzuki wrote to get those changes made in mx sports.

I like the changes . Nick will be on a 125 a long time.

Back