Our 1st Fair race

NQ1965

PR Elite
I've raced on and off for the last 16 years, and we finally did our first Fair race, at the Hartford Fair.

We've been to the fair numerous times over the years, but never interested in racing it. This year my grandson, (and our Daughter), pushed the idea. Sure...why not. Let's do it!

I was shocked however with the turnout. I think Norm said in the riders meeting that we had something in the neighborhood of 360+ race entries? The biggest he has seen. There were 40 class's, and I have no idea how many moto's with so many in each class?

I raced 40+ and 50+. Was a little disappointed that there were only two of us in 50+. We had 10 in 40+.
Joshy raced his PW50 in the oil injected class and 50extra.

Going there, I had decided that I really wanted to focus on making sure that Josh got through it ok and has a good time beings he has so little racing, and really even riding experience. During his 1st practice, he pulled off and was upset because he didn't think he could do it. The track was a little muddy and very slippery. And then of course all the jumps were peaky. More than anything I think he was intimidated by how a lot of the other kids were attacking the track around him.

So anyway we had to do some confidence building talking with him after practice. He went out for his first race and ended up having an absolute blast. After his practice my daughter pulled him from the second race class, thinking let's just get him through the first race. But he had so much fun on his first race that he wanted to do it again. Our daughter rushed back and got him into the only remaining class that he could do, which was the 50extra.
He lined up against a bunch of kids on KTM's. This time it didn't bother him a bit. He rode really well and kept his bike upright and moving through both races. He didn't even finish last in the 50extra. That little boy was smiling ear to ear the rest of the night. He didn't even want to change out of his boots and riding gear all night. Loved it!

There were actually several "First" for us in this event. It was our first time racing under lights. And racing in front of grandstands full of spectators was different as well.

Not getting to bed till 12:30am sucked, particularly when that alarm rang at 5am this morning ..UGGHHHH!

As always it was great talking with all the people that we knew there. That really makes it enjoyable.

I am quite sure that my wife, daughter and the kids will insist that racing at the Hartford Fair will be on our "Must Do" list for 2018.:)

Last edited:
Another little mentionable Highlight happenned as I was in staging for my 40+ race (race #29), I'm sitting there talking with Dicky Hoy and along rolls up a guy on my left on a 2002 YZ250 and I immediately spot that he has a "PitRacer" sticker on his front fender.

I struck up a conversation with him talking about the site and then his bike. (I have an 03 YZ250, great bikes!). Never met the guy before but enjoyed meeting and then getting to race against him.

How cool is this, me thinks!

Last edited:
Nancy has all 6 grandkids on Fridays, and then I come home from work and help her with them until the parents arrive to pick them up.

After they were all gone, we were in the car going to grab a bite to eat and she said that he kept talking about last nights' races all day long.
That boy will be charged up for a couple of days.

I couldn't help but to think that this is how the dirt bike infection/addiction happens.
Poor little guy, he's only 8 and doesn't stand a chance against it.:D

Reactions: KRH
We go to a couple fair races a year. Hartford is a great atmosphere. Both of my kids rode their first races there. That place was packed Thursday night with riders and fans. I donated for three classes plus a few strombolies at the fair.
20170810_202017.jpg

20170810_200841.jpg

Attachments

• 20170810_202017.jpg
    20170810_202017.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 102
I just wish Hartford and Holmes werent on the same night. We had friends chasing the OMA points so they were going to Holmes. So that is where we went to hang out with them and race. Both places are 30 mins away. Maybe next year we will hit up Hartford.

The track at holmes co race last year was the best fair track I had ever seen. It was awesome. This years track was a disappointment compared to that. I heard they ran out of dirt and wouldnt let them make it as wide as last year also. Was a bummer, but the boy still had a good time.

Didn't make it to Hartford this year, did hear the track was fairly tame compared to previous years.

Back