Question for AMA Alex

John250

PR Founding Father
So what was the thought behind allowing 250 2 strokes race the 250 class? A 250f I've always heard is like a 125 2 stroke (but we know they have much more power). And a 450f is like a 250 2 stroke. So why allow a 250 2 stroke to race 250fs and 125s?

There is a viable advantage on the starts even and down the straight always.

Guess I would think a 250 2 stroke should race open class and not the 250 class.

They don't allow it in the pro ranks. So why allow it in amateur racing?

I thought 250 two stroke was allowed in the 250 class locally. I thought that was part of the AMA F up when they changed things for the four strokes.

Lol 250f's are soooooo much easier to ride than a 250 2stk... takes less throttle control and they handle better than most 2st.. I can honestly say having raced a 250 2st in 250A you really have to ride the piss out of the 250 2st to make it competitive with a 250f especially since everything is FI now.

I rode Georgies husky 250f at tv land a couple months ago. It was my first ride of the year and I had been riding my 250 2 stroke all day. Let me say, the traction was insane. My 2 stroke wanted to break loose in the corners and the 250f was point and go. And I wasn't going much slower on his 250f for the few laps I did on it. Much less finesse on the four stroke to get It hooked up and moving. It would be cool to see the ama allow two strokes in the 250 class. But Like he said.. there would be no 250f bikes. Oh, and most of the manufacturers stopped producing them so why let the riders ride them. I'm sure the reason the allow them at the amateur level is because not everyone can afford 4 strokes and race. With numbers down from where they were I could imagine it would be to open up classes to more riders without having a gazillion individual classes for each bike. This is purely speculation and I have no idea but I have wondered the same thing. AMA Alex? What's the scoop?

Pro Racing... what's that?

This department deals with amateur racing, we sold all the pro racing disciplines to Daytona Motorsport Group in 2007ish. Ask them. Whether or not Pro Racing (DMG, FELD, MXSports) decides to allow it at the pro level, it's up to them. Keep it mind, with the sale of Pro Racing, there is a AMA - Pickerington, OH and a AMA Pro Racing - Daytona Motorsports Group. Two separate organizations.

This department (AMA - Pickerington, OH) feels the 250 four-strokes and 250 two-strokes are competitive against each other within amateur competition. I would go as far to say, that is a correct statement. 250 two-strokes might have more horsepower on paper, but within the on-track racing environment, not all that horsepower is usable horsepower. If that was the case, everyone would be riding 500cc two-strokes.

Agree with what you say Alex. But you can clearly see a 250 2 stroke pull a 250F on starts and straights. Just my opinion for what its worth.

I have had guys pull down straights and off starts on 250fs when I was riding my 250 2 stroke. I have also pulled 250fs down straights and on starts on a stock 125. I feel like it could have something to do with skill level. This is starting to sound an awful lot like the 144cc in the 125cc class discussion.

I think its good... two-stroke pulls harder, four-stroke tracts better, give me a two-stroke at Baja mx, I'll take a four-stroke at Eastfork, LL's had a loamy top and clay base, give me a four-stroke, etc. It makes things interesting, I would say one does not dominate the other on a regular basis.

Back